Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No surprise about sans Center, nice clean lookin’ setup! You pluck a little acoustic Bass do ya?
Nup, I have zero talent and I have been surviving on my good looks and charm for years. Thats my daughters bass, she also plays harmonica, piano accordion, piano and organ when not being a phd in Chemistry. She left it at our place and gives me credibility.

Nup, I have zero talent and I have been surviving on my good looks and charm for years. Thats my daughters bass, she also plays harmonica, piano accordion, piano and organ when not being a phd in Chemistry. She left it at our place and gives me credibility.
I just thought maybe you were trying to manually compensate for the lack of a sub :love:

At some point my audio system was getting too large for the living room and I had already moved the amplifiers to the basement! I moved everything down to my man cave. That left a hole upstairs so I started to plan and set up a system that was less obtrusive. Eventually I built this preamp. It provides for the selection of up to six four channel inputs. Four pole relays are controlled by the front mounted input switch. I used a joystick for balance control taking inspiration from Elliot Sound Products "Build a Better Balance Control". I bought a tone control board that was stripped out of a Marantz quad receiver. While it bothers me that someone would strip down one of these vintage units for parts, it was a good and inexpensive way to provide tone controls. I find that the third midrange control to be rather useless, but it was part of the package. I followed advice found on the Elliot site about reducing the range of the controls, thinking that if the controls didn't track well reducing the range of the boost and cut would reduce any error in tracking.

I love Bi-amping and so I included an active crossover, using design and circuit boards from Elliot "24 dB/Octave 2/3-Way Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover". The output jacks provide full range as well as high and low frequency outputs.

I opened the unit up the other day to better mount the input volume control. I was going to replace some or all the input/output jacks at the same time. The cheap "gold plated" jacks from China are actually a bit small so the cables don't always fit tight. There are some very good jacks available from China, I just wish that I had used them from the start. With the unit open I changed my mind about replacing the jacks, far too much work! I like to run a bit of Epoxy around the jacks on my projects to keep them from ever coming loose. That makes removing them a bit difficult.

1676048307616.jpeg

1676048345278.jpeg

1676048376564.jpeg

1676048419724.jpeg

I once designed an electronic crossover network to tri-amp (op-amps,stereo). I etched a circuit board with six channels. It was very kewl. But I hadn't figured out how to drill circuit board fiberglass (TINY expensive Carbide drill bits!) when Pioneer came out with the D23. End of the project!

I LOVE that preamp. Maybe I could marry IT instead of you. 🤣 🤣 🤣

You know your fellow Canadian Wurley actually built and Sold twenty or thirty Wurleyscopes. Hint, Hint! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
The worst I ever got in that department was when I considered selling and upgrading a brand new Pioneer RT 1055 to their bigger fancier Modular looking ones. (RT2022, and there was an RT2024 with four channels) Her ladyship said "Whatsa matter Gene, not magnificent enough for you??"

But she also said "Love me, love my speakers." Both before we were married. I consider myself very lucky.

I wonder how many on this forum have had, not their entire life, but the thought of divorce flash before their eyes when their non-QQ other half said "No!" to an upgrade?

C'mon, own up. ;)
I’ve thought about living in an alternate universe but not divorce. Besides, divorce could be financially devastating, potentially leaving me less able to afford my dream upgrades. Oh, and I do love my wife! 🤦‍♂️

The center channel analog input of my 20+ year old Sony STR V444ES, that’s in my music room, stopped working. So I thought it was time for an upgrade. The wife gave me the green light to purchase a new receiver (she is the best).
It’s hard to find anything with analog input at a reasonable price anymore. So I had to bite the bullet and drop some cash on a new Marantz SR 7015.
This thing is a beast. It’s going to take me some time to learn all the ins and outs of this thing. But what fun it will be.

Attachments

• 0721ABBC-B06A-46CA-96F9-38F7C956FC97.jpeg
    0721ABBC-B06A-46CA-96F9-38F7C956FC97.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 31D0CE0A-9A61-4919-8B17-99A4C523EAE1.jpeg
    31D0CE0A-9A61-4919-8B17-99A4C523EAE1.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I wonder how many on this forum have had, not their entire life, but the thought of divorce flash before their eyes when their non-QQ other half said "No!" to an upgrade?

C'mon, own up. ;)
Since my home for 32 years in Chicago didn't have the luxury of a family room or anything
other than the front room (living room), my wife's understood very clearly that she could do
anything she liked with the rest of the house. But the front room was mine to do as I pleased with my HiFi and video junk. Period, Case Closed. ;)

The center channel analog input of my 20+ year old Sony STR V444ES, that’s in my music room, stopped working. So I thought it was time for an upgrade. The wife gave me the green light to purchase a new receiver (she is the best).
It’s hard to find anything with analog input at a reasonable price anymore. So I had to bite the bullet and drop some cash on a new Marantz SR 7015.
This thing is a beast. It’s going to take me some time to learn all the ins and outs of this thing. But what fun it will be.
I think you will love it. I have a SR 8012 and it sounds fantastic compared to the Onkyo s I’ve owned. The Audyssey room correction calibration is really excellent, especially if you do a lot of multi channel listening. The Audyssey app for you mobile device makes it even easier to use, and to tweak the settings.

Well.....many here have heard my tale. A few weeks before my wife retired last year I took down my (then) 5.1.2 Atmos system and packed it into my pc room. I got the audio gear, she got the big ass tv. Fair trade to me, if a little cramped , for now I have a 7.1.4 Atmos system packed into a smaller fully decked out bedroom with queen bed, double dresser, large chest of drawers, all my pc gear, desks,etc. You would not believe how packed this room is!

Thank all that is for the Dirac calibration on the Onkyo, I really believe it's helped tremendously in this tight room. A tip from @Sal1950 put me on to a review and the Dirac. I've put it to good use.

Never been married...so I've been able to buy what ever, when ever, without whoever and place said items anywhere and whenever I decide.

Other forums initial it TWF (The Wife Factor.)

So in your case, TWF means 'Totally Wild and Free.' :p

I have my own Man Cave. It even has a warning sign stating as such that is seen while one comes down the stairwell. (Part of the right rear surround speaker can been seen in the upper right corner of the photo.)

Man Cave.jpg

Back