Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up in the Bronx. I started med school at 31 and completed residency (every 3rd night on call for 3 years :rolleyes:) at 38. I got a standing ovation at residency graduation LOL. I completed a Fellowship in Behavioral and Developmental Pediatrics at 40 and then finally entered the work force for good. Retired at 66. Thankfully, I went on a surround DVD and SACD buying binge a year before I retired.
Very cool! Believe it or not, I graduated med school at 42 but I wasn't the oldest in my class. A practicing psychologist went back to be a physchiatrist. She was 55:oops: I did 4 years of residency in anesthesia and a year of pediatric anesthesia fellowship. Didn't get to start practicing until 48. Still working full time at 64 with call!

IMG_0444.JPG
https://scontent-man2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...RJTUS568qZrYt1GOL929FiqeAccKxYDoQ&oe=64460ECB
The Joy of 6 Hours Long Play DAT tapes
is fantastic.
My own Collection
Sony DTC -690 into a 5.1 Pioneer System

Tracks from 24bit CD's & 12" Official Remixes
Using a Sansui C-55 Pre amp mixer, Still working.
So as the 12" ends I bring in the CD version.

The Sansui C-55 Pre Amp Mixer is Fantastic.

Last edited:
Thanks! Found the AMI near DC at arcade company. Needed complete restoration. Took a few hundred hours, but was a labor of love!
I remember the first CD jukeboxes to come into the bars, they were a revelation and revolution.
The 45's would get all worn and nasty sounding in a short time, not the CD's, they sounded the same from day 1 to ten years later. It was such a kool thing back then!

There’s that same warmth with vinyl 45s, playing on the jukebox, if they’re in good shape, similar to listening to vinyl albums today that are in good shape, that you’ll never get from an automated cd player. Besides, the best thing about watching these things play, are the mechanical relays that are all timed to pull a 45, you see it get chosen, then it’s mechanically, chosen from the rack, grabbed, flipped and then put down down on the platter, and then the platter turns on, and then the amplifier turns the Stylus on so you hear it, and then reversed. You’re right that a lot of the juke 45s got worn out from over playing in bad needles. These old mechanical machines, in good shape, you can get 15,000 or more for when you want to sell it. The CD jukeboxes will cost you five to $7000, but they’re not really worth anything afterwards

Quad Station 2.0

Technics SA-8000X (for CD-4 and phono staging)
Surround Master v3 (for Matrix shenanigans)
Marantz Model 6150 with Pickering and ADC carts
OPPO BDP-103 (HDMI to the processor/optical to the SMv3)
Emotiva UMC-200 pre/pro
Emotiva A4 (4-channel class A/B amp)
Component video selector box
PXL_20230420_212448302~2.jpg

re: Sony DTC-690...

I just have 1 DAT prerecorded tape and never owned a DAT machine - how reliable are they [both tapes and machines] after several decades?

Kirk Bayne

Back