Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the gear in my Stereo/Movie room downstairs.
Marantz Sr6007 Receiver
Oppo 103 and Oppo 93(ISO player)
Speakers Totem Staff Front,Center Totem Mite and Rear Totem Mite-T. Sub Velodyne MiniVee(smaller) and 2nd Sub Velodyne 4000(larger one)
Tv-Panasonic Plasma TCP65VT30
Laserdisk player(5 cd player)
Shaw PVR
Top picture is some of my 5.1 musical treasures
Rear Speakers are moveable and are sitting on a 8 inch platform for rear seating for watching movies, this is how I have for me when listening and for movies move rear speakers to back side walls

Front speakers cabinet has cd's inside and top are some of my 5.1 boxsets on either side of center speaker.

Attachments

• 5.1 treasures.jpg
    5.1 treasures.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 298
  • front speakers.jpg
    front speakers.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 295
  • rear speakers.jpg
    rear speakers.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 286
  • receiver oppo.jpg
    receiver oppo.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 291
The list of my machine below has taken years, pieces at a time, added, replaced, etc, to what it is now. I feel I started building my machine when I was 15, from Mono to Stereo to the very first surround by Panasonic, laser discs and 5.1 with a Proscan TV. The speakers where very small, but Panasonic was the first to retail as far as I know. I thought I hit the big time with CD's, my Pioneer receiver, and my little badass Kplisch Heresey speakers. Two years ago my rears where in the ceiling, but the 4earredwonder got me to change that.
I think it was Alan Parsons said audiophiles buy music to listen to there rig, rather than listen to the music. I try not to do that as you can see I am rarely critical of music recordings as they all sound pretty good. I can listen to an MP3 though tiny speakers of my IPhone and be happy, but I prefer my own machine in either stereo or surround. Because I am a Rock Music listener I like things sounding a little rough and not overly polished, DVD-A's (my favorite format) are perfect for Rock Music.

McIntosh A/V Control Center MX122
McIntosh MC303 3 channel X 300 watts each for speakers, center, rear left and rear right.
McIntosh MC452 Quad Balanced 2 channel X 450 watts each for front left and right speakers.
McIntosh MVP891 Audio/Video/SACD/DVD-A, Blu Ray Player, (plays everything).
McIntosh D150 Preamplifier Digital to Analogue Converter. USB, FLAC, DSD, etc. only 2 channel RBCD's.
Front left and Right speakers B&W Diamond 805's (Bookshelf)
Center Speaker B&W HTM2
Right/Left Rears B&W CM (Bookshelf on stands)
Subwoofer-REL Serie S 550 watt Dual Firing
Remote: URC MX 980
Panamax MR 4000 Power Supply
Venom PS8 Power Conditioner with Venom Power Cables.
All cables: Audioquest. All speakers-Slip 16/4, Analogue-Water, HDMI Coffee, plus a few others.
DirecTV
Amazon TV, streaming.
Samsung 65" 4K Series 8500
Bluesound Vault for HI RES play, Ripping and storing 1T, only accepts up to all resolutions of FLAC. No DSD or DXD.

The list of my machine below has taken years, pieces at a time, added, replaced, etc, to what it is now. I feel I started building my machine when I was 15, from Mono to Stereo to the very first surround by Panasonic, laser discs and 5.1 with a Proscan TV. The speakers where very small, but Panasonic was the first to retail as far as I know. I thought I hit the big time with CD's, my Pioneer receiver, and my little badass Kplisch Heresey speakers. Two years ago my rears where in the ceiling, but the 4earredwonder got me to change that.
I think it was Alan Parsons said audiophiles buy music to listen to there rig, rather than listen to the music. I try not to do that as you can see I am rarely critical of music recordings as they all sound pretty good. I can listen to an MP3 though tiny speakers of my IPhone and be happy, but I prefer my own machine in either stereo or surround. Because I am a Rock Music listener I like things sounding a little rough and not overly polished, DVD-A's (my favorite format) are perfect for Rock Music.

McIntosh A/V Control Center MX122
McIntosh MC303 3 channel X 300 watts each for speakers, center, rear left and rear right.
McIntosh MC452 Quad Balanced 2 channel X 450 watts each for front left and right speakers.
McIntosh MVP891 Audio/Video/SACD/DVD-A, Blu Ray Player, (plays everything).
McIntosh D150 Preamplifier Digital to Analogue Converter. USB, FLAC, DSD, etc. only 2 channel RBCD's.
Front left and Right speakers B&W Diamond 805's (Bookshelf)
Center Speaker B&W HTM2
Right/Left Rears B&W CM (Bookshelf on stands)
Subwoofer-REL Serie S 550 watt Dual Firing
Remote: URC MX 980
Panamax MR 4000 Power Supply
Venom PS8 Power Conditioner with Venom Power Cables.
All cables: Audioquest. All speakers-Slip 16/4, Analogue-Water, HDMI Coffee, plus a few others.
DirecTV
Amazon TV, streaming.
Samsung 65" 4K Series 8500
Bluesound Vault for HI RES play, Ripping and storing 1T, only accepts up to all resolutions of FLAC. No DSD or DXD.

Markie, GREAT job. I see an 85" Curved 4K OLED panel in your future*. Start saving. They're presently $20K. Also, is McIntosh coming out with a 4K player?

[*who needs a fireplace in Northern California????......yeah, I know, it does get chilly but you have your megabuck system to keep you warm]!

Markie, GREAT job. I see an 85" Curved 4K OLED panel in your future*. Start saving. They're presently $20K. Also, is McIntosh coming out with a 4K player?

[*who needs a fireplace in Northern California????......yeah, I know, it does get chilly but you have your megabuck system to keep you warm]!
20K, brother, no thanks. The MX122 was especially made for 4K upscaling. I have watched a few pay 4K and a few free. It is not the greatness like when flat screens first came out, a 4K is great, don't get me wrong but 1080P is pretty darn good.

Hi. All

I thought I`ll show my new addition to my lot at the moment my system is not set up to how I want it to be a little ad hock at the moment in the future I`ll give a full photo shot out.

The Akai CR 80D-SS 8 track was given to me by a friend how picked it up at a OP. shop they did not now what it was & he got it for a 1$
the best thing about it was in mint condition and worked, that's why I am buying up large Q8 tapes.

I bought from ebay was a Akai GX 270 D-SS Reel to Reel it looked in mint condition and it was, I took a risk in buying because they said it played ok but would not record in one channel but when I got it I gave it a once over oiled it in the right places & cleaned the switches and now it plays & records perfectly.

I have had the Akai 1730 D-SS for a view years now I have 2 of them there are good work horses & play and record great.

My first Akai 280 D-SS is packed away for repairs this is my first Reel to Reel I bought new about 35 years ago.

The Akai CR 80D-SS is sitting on top of the Akai GX 270 D-SS

GX 270 D-SS.jpg
1730 D-SS.jpg
Akai 280 D-SS.jpg

Q8 PIC.jpg
Q4 1.jpg
Q4 2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. marpow

Yes it is quite expensive now buying Q4 tapes especially now, But when a tape is good its like having a copy of a master discrete Quad tape wonderful
I have widened my scope of music since my younger day I would not listen to nothing but ROCK music but now Jazz Light music and classical I`ve mellowed & appreciate the different forms of other music..

Awesome big bill quad. I noticed Acoustic Sounds is selling some tapes for $450.00 each, too expensive.

Last edited:
Hi. marpow

Yes it is quite expensive now buying Q4 tapes especially now, But when a tape is good its like having a copy of a master discrete Quad tape wonderful
I have widened my scope of music since my younger day I would not listen to nothing but ROCK music but now Jazz Light music I`ve mellowed & appreciate the different forms of other music..
Same for me, I listen to way more genres than before, surprising is soul music which I hated back then, or maybe I really didn't? I am a very good blues historian also. There is a tremendous amount of the blues in SACD and surround.
I think I was sub consciously always listening to everything from the radio and friends and now I look at it has a historical path that I find fascinating. Like listening to Dylan as folk and than electric, really fun to study it.
All that said, I know nothing of opera, symphony, classical, etc.

20K, brother, no thanks. The MX122 was especially made for 4K upscaling. I have watched a few pay 4K and a few free. It is not the greatness like when flat screens first came out, a 4K is great, don't get me wrong but 1080P is pretty darn good.

Markie, when my Panasonic Plasma died a few weeks ago, I took advantage of the Black Friday sales and bought a 55" LG Curved OLED flat panel [for my bedroom] for about $1800 and with tax and a five year service contract it came out to about $2500. List on that TV was $4K. What's astounding about those OLED panels is the COLOR.....NEVER have I seen that gamut of colors properly reproduced from Plasma my old CRT projector, my current Meridian DILA projector and especially LCD and LED flatscreens (I had them ALL).

The blacks are even more black than ANY of the above and since I don't have any true 4K sources, this is from my FIOS TV (1080p) and my OPPO BD~V.

I've had projectors most of my adult life and if I could find an OLED 100" I'd be willing to scrap projection TV if I could get that amazing quality out of a curved flat panel.

The prices WILL come way down and paying $20K for that 85" display is pure INSANITY. But in time, I'm awaiting anxiously for an OLED curved screen of 100" or MORE. It's THAT good!

BTW, upscaling isn't remotely the same as TRUE 4K. Hopefully, McIntosh will announce a true 4K Universal Player in the near future. Accept NO substitutes! Yeah, and by then we'll have 8K [which is ALREADY in THE WORKS :yikes ]

Markie, when my Panasonic Plasma died a few weeks ago, I took advantage of the Black Friday sales and bought a 55" LG Curved OLED flat panel [for my bedroom] for about $1800 and with tax and a five year service contract it came out to about $2500. List on that TV was $4K. What's astounding about those OLED panels is the COLOR.....NEVER have I seen that gamut of colors properly reproduced from Plasma my old CRT projector, my current Meridian DILA projector and especially LCD and LED flatscreens (I had them ALL).

The blacks are even more black than ANY of the above and since I don't have any true 4K sources, this is from my FIOS TV (1080p) and my OPPO BD~V.

I've had projectors most of my adult life and if I could find an OLED 100" I'd be willing to scrap projection TV if I could get that amazing quality out of a curved flat panel.

The prices WILL come way down and paying $20K for that 85" display is pure INSANITY. But in time, I'm awaiting anxiously for an OLED curved screen of 100" or MORE. It's THAT good!

BTW, upscaling isn't remotely the same as TRUE 4K. Hopefully, McIntosh will announce a true 4K Universal Player in the near future. Accept NO substitutes! Yeah, and by then we'll have 8K [which is ALREADY in THE WORKS :yikes ]

Ironically, a bunch of the new TRUE 4K Blu Rays are UPSCALED 2K which I've been avoiding like the plague. Newer movies shot in True 4K or 6K are better bets. I read the reviews at Bluray.com for video assessments and base my current purchases according to their recommendations [I have about 10 so far].

some v. interesting tapes there Bill (understatement of the year! :D )

what's the APP Pyramid Q4? :yikes

also what is the ELO First Light? Quad?

oh and is the Paul Anka/Painter reel to reel you have QS encoded?

some v. interesting tapes there Bill (understatement of the year! :D )

what's the APP Pyramid Q4? :yikes

also what is the ELO First Light? Quad?

oh and is the Paul Anka/Painter reel to reel you have QS encoded?

Hi. fredy

I bought these RtR a couple of years ago for curiosity sake the APP Pyramid Q4 is a up mix from a digital source not to bad if it was not good I could all ways use the tape for my on recording, good quality Maxall-UD XL tape.
The ELO First Light is from a SQ source very clean sound & good separation in the back channels I`ll bet its from a Tate 101a decode unit.
The Paul Anka/Painter is a Stereo QS tape you have to decode through QS decoder. I`ve got a Stereo classical tape EMI with the angle circle Stereo SQ as well.

Wow you guys make me you look like the just a novice with the stuff I got you I put a picture of my gear up but I don't think it would fit on the whole page . Quite an oversized piece of gear

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Been trying to find gear with the best bang for the buck... Pioneer H-R100 stereo 8, Panasonic Q8 deck, Pioneer DVD-Audio/SACD player, Music Hall MMF-2.1, Lafayette SQ-M and a Yamaha RX-V1 receiver... (and Infinity Overture 3s x 4 as Main and surrounds, CC-3 x 2, front center channel and back Center channel) I've really enjoyed getting into quad. I've had 5.1 (digital) for a while but these vintage quad albums are terrific.

Attachments

• IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 335
If you are like me then it took years of trial and error to come up with what sounds best! This is a Frankenstien hobby, it's out of control!:eek:

Put up pics of your stuff here but Jon asks, please keep em small, 100x140.:banana:

My system isn't the prettiest but it plays every thing and well!

Well, that Sansui logo is VERY cool!

Been trying to find gear with the best bang for the buck... Pioneer H-R100 stereo 8, Panasonic Q8 deck, Pioneer DVD-Audio/SACD player, Music Hall MMF-2.1, Lafayette SQ-M and a Yamaha RX-V1 receiver... (and Infinity Overture 3s x 4 as Main and surrounds, CC-3 x 2, front center channel and back Center channel) I've really enjoyed getting into quad. I've had 5.1 (digital) for a while but these vintage quad albums are terrific.

Is that a drive in theatre speaker set in the first photo? If so, hat's off to you, very cool collector piece!

Is that a drive in theatre speaker set in the first photo? If so, hat's off to you, very cool collector piece!

Yeah, lol.. it's actually a restored drive in speaker from the Telephone road twin drive in Houston. I sent it off to a restoration co. a number of years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Yeah, lol.. it's actually a restored drive in speaker from the Telephone road twin drive in Houston. I sent it off to a restoration co. a number of years ago.

Great piece of history. Lived in Houston a number of years, so I can't imagine dealing with the heat and the mosquitos at a drive in.

Great piece of history. Lived in Houston a number of years, so I can't imagine dealing with the heat and the mosquitos at a drive in.

I was pretty young at the time, begging my dad for all of us to go see Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back a bit later. But come to think of it the mosquitoes could be pretty bad. But we usually went in the fall/spring before it got too hot. If your were in Houston then you might remember the Mclendon Triple and a few of the other ones...

PS: The pic below is a bit after it "went dark"/closed down in '82.. FYI: The 'Telephone Twin' opened in 1967...

Attachments

• IMG_0768.JPG
    IMG_0768.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
I'm new on the quad forum. Thought I'd share some pics of my 5.1 setup. SONY A/V Receiver STR1060 7.1. Sources OPPO 103, ATV3. Speakers are PSB Century 1000i Towers, PSB 8C center and rears are PSB Image 3LR, sub is PSB Subsonic 5. Last photo is my vinyl collections (just over 500 LPs). and also shows a pair of Decware Radial 1.5s speakers which I'll be moving tp my office for a Tube based 2.0 rig.

IMG_0115.jpg
IMG_0119.jpg
IMG_0114.jpg

Back