Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gene's just a regular guy!

Ozzy.jpg

Now working on the half round diffusers. They are replacing the auralex styrofoam diffusers in the pic.

Because the space I had to work with was 21.75” I used 10” sonotube. Cut them and half and to length and added braces to the back.

Going to get some oak today to make caps for the top and bottom of each. I’ll the. Wrap I. Black fabric, stuff with insulation and mount on the door as shown and the wall opposite of room door.

I was going to build 8 of the skylines but the weight would have been too much for the door hence the half rounds. Being slightly in front of the seating I hoping the half round diffusion will open up the perceivable length of the room. We shall see.

Attachments

• 49686AA3-A875-4828-AFE6-EB83E293D075.jpeg
    49686AA3-A875-4828-AFE6-EB83E293D075.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 303
  • A9A56D3B-0E62-426D-A81A-5492F53954ED.jpeg
    A9A56D3B-0E62-426D-A81A-5492F53954ED.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 0D02DB0D-EEDF-40D3-9D80-21022091E624.jpeg
    0D02DB0D-EEDF-40D3-9D80-21022091E624.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 286
I think this will show my " set up", Poineer 949A, 2 CerwinVaga E-15's, 2 E-12, Marantz , Marantz SR-7500.
I feed the decoded signal from my Poineer to my Marantz, using the headphone jacks, up the wall ,across the ceiling, down to the closet holding the AV equipment.Oh, a Teac
4300s, and Teac, and a pair of Denon DD servo-drive turn tables.
v1000 real to real too

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_738.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_738.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 366
  • fullsizeoutput_739.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_739.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 355
  • fullsizeoutput_73a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_73a.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 374
  • fullsizeoutput_73b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_73b.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 361
I think this will show my " set up", Poineer 949A, 2 CerwinVaga E-15's, 2 E-12, Marantz , Marantz SR-7500.
I feed the decoded signal from my Poineer to my Marantz, using the headphone jacks, up the wall ,across the ceiling, down to the closet holding the AV equipment.Oh, a Teac
v1000 real to real too
I have R-to-R envy I never got a Quad TEAC! I have 2 Akai stereo R-to-Rs though

v1000 real to real too
Beautiful system! The Teac 3340 was always my dream R2R deck but I couldn't afford it back in my college days. Poor me, I had to settle for a used/refurnished Revox stereo R2R and a pair of JBL L100 speakers LOL!

Last edited:
v1000 real to real too
Looks sweet as apple butter, Dave. Very nice space!

v1000 real to real too
I love that the seating arrangement screams out “don’t mess with my sweet spot!”

Beautiful system! The Teac 3340 was always my dream R2R deck but I couldn't afford it back in my college days. Poor me, I had to settle for a used/refurnished Revox stereo R2R and a pair of JBL L100 speakers LOL!
They're out there , but it's a bit of a crap shoot to find one that doesn't need work, no matter what the seller states in the ad.

They're out there , but it's a bit of a crap shoot to find one that doesn't need work, no matter what the seller states in the ad.
Too true. Now, in the days of SACD and DVD Audio, I don’t know that I want to delve back into the realm of R2R. The notion of buying and reconditioning a R2R and also building up a quad tape library from scratch would be economically prohibitive in 2020. And then Dutton Vocalion would end up releasing some of the same recordings in SACD LOL! I know, first world problems! Anyway, though I’m admittedly jealous of your incredible system, with my digital library I certainly have nothing to complain it.

Too true. Now, in the days of SACD and DVD Audio, I don’t know that I want to delve back into the realm of R2R. The notion of buying and reconditioning a R2R and also building up a quad tape library from scratch would be economically prohibitive in 2020. And then Dutton Vocalion would end up releasing some of the same recordings in SACD LOL! I know, first world problems! Anyway, though I’m admittedly jealous of your incredible system, with my digital library I certainly have nothing to complain it.
I keep them for recordings which never were Albums, such as a Live recording of Canned Heat on WBCN radio, I obtained a set of, off the mixing board tapes , uncut with all the chatter that make live recordings so great. Cd release of the broad cast are not full length.

I keep them for recordings which never were Albums, such as a Live recording of Canned Heat on WBCN radio, I obtained a set of, off the mixing board tapes , uncut with all the chatter that make live recordings so great. Cd release of the broad cast are not full length.
PS the station was broad casting in Quad, like my picture shows.

Good point. It’s like you have the master tapes. Too cool!

Meanwhile, on the other side of the tracks... ;)

Awhile back, I upgraded my projector to a nice BenQ HT3050. It has a shorter throw than the previous model, so it displays a much larger picture at the same distance, overflowing my old 84" DIY screen. I had 2 choices: either move the projector mount from the back wall out across the ceiling somehow (pass), or: get a bigger screen! (Yes please!)

I wanted a fixed screen so as not to worry about wrinkles etc. from a rollup type. Only one problem: The front door to my apartment is right in the middle of the living room wall. I'd mounted the previous screen on a heavy-duty drawer slide so it could move in & out of position, but the new 106" screen pretty much covers the door. It has to slide about a meter, way more than the drawer slide can extend. The solution: bolt 2 slides together:

FrameExtended.jpg FrameRetracted.jpg ScreenInUse.jpg

(For a size reference, that's a 55" TV on the computer desk.)

Ridiculous? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely. :p

Meanwhile, on the other side of the tracks... ;)

Awhile back, I upgraded my projector to a nice BenQ HT3050. It has a shorter throw than the previous model, so it displays a much larger picture at the same distance, overflowing my old 84" DIY screen. I had 2 choices: either move the projector mount from the back wall out across the ceiling somehow (pass), or: get a bigger screen! (Yes please!)

I wanted a fixed screen so as not to worry about wrinkles etc. from a rollup type. Only one problem: The front door to my apartment is right in the middle of the living room wall. I'd mounted the previous screen on a heavy-duty drawer slide so it could move in & out of position, but the new 106" screen pretty much covers the door. It has to slide about a meter, way more than the drawer slide can extend. The solution: bolt 2 slides together:

View attachment 46256 View attachment 46257 View attachment 46258

(For a size reference, that's a 55" TV on the computer desk.)

Ridiculous? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely. :p
Crazy man (but in a good way!) Also, 55” computer screen - sweet!
Do you ever project the QQ up on the 106?

Back