Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you find the service manual?
I meant to say there is a physical copy available for purchase on ebay, not actually available to look at online. I just tested out the front and rear channels separately using my phone and a cannibalized pair of junk headphones, unit works as expected, now just need to order some more headphone jacks to make a harness for the quadphones.

Last edited:
Got this Alpine 4006 "Multi Director" car joystick balance control today:
View attachment 62029
It only has 2ch input, but maybe I can change that.
I just need to order some more headphone jacks to make a harness for the quadphones.
Well, it works! I've connected the front/rear outputs to the two stereo plugs on the JVC 5944 quadphones so that I get regular stereo with the pot all the forward, and OOP sound with the pot all the way back.

I got my Japanese QSD-2 back from QRX Restore today, played QS test tones, Japanese QS DSOTM, Jim Croce QS, it is excellent! Compares well with Involve(will elaborate in the future), here are the babies:
20210201_201159.jpg

I got my Japanese QSD-2 back from QRX Restore today, played QS test tones, Japanese QS DSOTM, Jim Croce QS, it is excellent! Compares well with Involve(will elaborate in the future), here are the babies:
View attachment 62583
How do you find the sound of the Audionics and Fosgate decoders compare to each other?

How do you find the sound of the Audionics and Fosgate decoders compare to each other?
I would say their decoding abilities are about the same(CB and side-center tones). I can't fully evaluate the Fosgate 101a because the sound quality is kind of muddy, it was really bad when I first got it, after awhile it mostly went away but not entirely, the decoding accuracy is still perfect though so maybe just needs new caps.

I added some more equipment to my Marantz collection. Model 150 tuner. Made 1976-1978. Model 4140 quad amplifier. Made 1977. 70 wpc x 2, 25 wpc x 4. The original purchaser paid $597.96 for the pair in January 1975. I also got a wired remote for the 4140, 2 wood cabinets, and an SQ decoder. I bought these at an estate sale of the original buyer. This guy was a saver. With the equipment I got the boxes for the decoder, both cabinets, and the remote. The 150 and 4140 were shipped directly to the buyer from Marantz. I got the packing boxes and shipping boxes with his address on them for both. All boxes contain the styrofoam packing material. I got the original instruction manuals for the 150, 4140, remote, and decoder. I got the shipping invoice from Marantz, the receipt for the money order, a warranty repair invoice, a schematic for the 150, and a template for the 4140 for a custom cabinet installation. Both cabinets, the remote, and the decoder were all bought at Lafayette Radio. The cabinets were $32.50 each, the remote $39.95, and the decoder $79.95. Quite a bit of history, IMHO. I also picked up a R2R quad tape of various sounds such as a stock car race, steam locomotive, SF cable cars, etc.

271.jpg
272.jpg
274.jpg

I added some more equipment to my Marantz collection. Model 150 tuner. Made 1976-1978. Model 4140 quad amplifier. Made 1977. 70 wpc x 2, 25 wpc x 4. The original purchaser paid $597.96 for the pair in January 1975. I also got a wired remote for the 4140, 2 wood cabinets, and an SQ decoder. I bought these at an estate sale of the original buyer. This guy was a saver. With the equipment I got the boxes for the decoder, both cabinets, and the remote. The 150 and 4140 were shipped directly to the buyer from Marantz. I got the packing boxes and shipping boxes with his address on them for both. All boxes contain the styrofoam packing material. I got the original instruction manuals for the 150, 4140, remote, and decoder. I got the shipping invoice from Marantz, the receipt for the money order, a warranty repair invoice, a schematic for the 150, and a template for the 4140 for a custom cabinet installation. Both cabinets, the remote, and the decoder were all bought at Lafayette Radio. The cabinets were $32.50 each, the remote $39.95, and the decoder $79.95. Quite a bit of history, IMHO. I also picked up a R2R quad tape of various sounds such as a stock car race, steam locomotive, SF cable cars, etc.
Man, that is a beautiful find (two units I'd like someday). Congrats!

Just picked up an Oppo 103 off of eBay for a fair price. All accessories and original box. I wanted a backup for my 83se. The 83se is starting to show it’s age. Got my first disc that won’t play in the 83, Chris Squire “Fish Out Of Water” blu-ray, plays fine in the103.

5352D07E-E40A-42F3-8743-55E409342FD5.jpeg

Last edited:
A few posts back I wrote about the Marantz tuner and amp I picked up. The oscilloscope on the tuner was not working. With some help from the people on the antique radio forum I was able to trace the problem down to an open resistor and a bad trace. The original owner had made some small modifications on both units, so I cleaned that stuff up. Here is a picture of them in working order.
9F73D8F0-F4CA-4696-9022-50359861189A.jpeg

Love this picture! Years ago, before I met my wife, I put up a free ad at the Safeway looking to buy old electronics. It was a very ritzy area so I figured that someone might just want to unload some stuff without knowing or caring about value. I was right.....in about a week a lady called and she was trying to get rid of her husbands stereo gear who had died some 10 years previous. He had a full mid 70’s Marantz setup like this with big Marantz speakers and even the TT with all of the original boxes. He also had a full ADS system but I was more interested in the Marantz stuff. We made a deal on the stuff and she called the following week to say that he also had a Marantz reel to reel. I knew that Marantz never made one but my interest was piqued. I kind of had been thinking of her over the weekend but didn’t want to come off as some kind of perv and I lost her number anyway so I let it go. Well I think it was mutual and let’s just say that the deal turned out to be advantageous in more ways than one. ;)

Great looking stuff there. A bit of a mash up but some good quality stuff. In regards to the top pic, I remember in the 70's when friends faces at a party actually looked like that.

Some times the old stuff is really fun to look at. Here's an oldie of mine from early 80's:

I lived in a beautiful very old 3rd floor walk up in the heart of Kansas City. What was intended for fine china became a space just the right size for my gear. Kenwood 9940, Teac & Sony tape decks, 2 Pioneer RG1 Dynamic Range Expanders, Pioneer delay/echo, cassette deck, EQ & a bit of DIY. JBL Decade 36 for the front chs, Empire Jupiter for the rear.

My current set up is much higher performance & quality, glitch & bug free, but some how not near as interesting.

Just what in the world is a Quadraflange? That thing looks like something that Keith Emerson would had used with one of his big Moog’s back in the day.

Back