Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to be a nice set up Sir!
I am so familiar with that Oppo back screen. And great that the pup joins you! There is a place on your QQ profile where you can list all your gear (strictly optional ) and quad legged friends name.

Looking forward to future posts!
Of course we like the dog. The pup looks like @J. PUPSTER ’s old avatar!

Looks like a Classe amp in the rack ? Which model ?

CA 101. My old stereo system consisted of that, a Classe Preamp (CP-35), the Oppo-105, 2 Piegas, plus the two Ruark subwoofers. Everything but the Oppo I bought over 15 years ago. When I moved two years ago I decided to turn it into a surround system by replacing the preamp with the Yamaha receiver, plus five more Piegas - the ones in front are all new, the old ones went to the rear, plus two new ones for the ceiling. There's also a Sony x800m2 in the right side of the cabinet.

CA 101. My old stereo system consisted of that, a Classe Preamp (CP-35), the Oppo-105, 2 Piegas, plus the two Ruark subwoofers. Everything but the Oppo I bought over 15 years ago. When I moved two years ago I decided to turn it into a surround system by replacing the preamp with the Yamaha receiver, plus five more Piegas - the ones in front are all new, the old ones went to the rear, plus two new ones for the ceiling. There's also a Sony x800m2 in the right side of the cabinet.

nice set up riskylogic !!! congrats

If you are like me then it took years of trial and error to come up with what sounds best! This is a Frankenstien hobby, it's out of control!:eek:

Put up pics of your stuff here but Jon asks, please keep em small, 100x140.🍌

My system isn't the prettiest but it plays every thing and well!
My kit has evolved down the years , I'll struggle to find images of some of the older stuff , but here are some that I have on my computer .

My second turntable , after starting out with a Pioneer PL12D was a Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference Turntable , with fluid arm and numerous cartridges , very much like this one - this is not my actual turntable .
56_12_b.JPG.jpg

Now here are some pictures of my home cinema system , which I had for a number of years ; I will follow up with some pics of my current system in another post - basically it comprises of the Michell Gyrodec , at the time with SME III arm , a fair amount of Sony electronics , Revox tape recorders , IMF TLS 80 loudspeakers at the front , home made centre speaker and B&W DM2A rear speakers . Also a Sony VPH1271 projector ( when the lady of the house allowed me to set it up ! ) .

DSC_0022.JPG
DSC_0107.JPG
DSC_0516.JPG
DSC_0517.JPG
DSC_0518.JPG
DSC_0519.JPG
DSC_2904.jpg
DSC_2907.jpg
DSC_0147.JPG
DSC_0154.JPG
DSC_0514.JPG
DSC_0512.JPG
projector.jpg
DSC_0597.JPG

Later on , I tired of the room full of equipment , got rid of most of it , and went back to my roots , with a quality 2ch stereo system , based on the Gyrodec , now with Rega RB700 arm , AT-OC9 cartridge , Gyropower QC power supply and Quad 77 pre , CD and FM ( tuner not in these pics ) , 707 power amplifier ( not pictured here ) , and the Quad ESL 63 Electrostatic Loudspeakers . Just bliss to listen to as well as look at .
29_IMG7123.jpg
27_IMG7121.jpg
33_IMG7127.jpg
18_IMG7112.jpg
4_IMG7098.jpg

The ESLs tend to sit in the corners to keep her ladyship happy , but are easily pulled out into the room for serious listening sessions and I have 'dots' on the floor made with indelible black marker pen so I can easily and accurately position them in or out when I want to . Surprisingly , they sound very similar to the IMFs with a very clean neutral sound , lacking only the bass extension of the transmission lines , but they most certainly do not sound bass light . They fill the room with the most incredible , almost holographic 3D sound stage .

6_IMG3195.jpg
3_IMG3192.jpg
2_IMG3191.jpg

Last edited:
…The ESLs tend to sit in the corners to keep her ladyship happy , but are easily pulled out into the room for serious listening sessions and I have 'dots' on the floor made with indelible black marker pen so I can easily and accurately position them in or out when I want to…

You marked the floor with indelible ink? My grandson does the same thing, but his patterns are more free form. :rolleyes: My wife would kill me if I did that.

You marked the floor with indelible ink? My grandson does the same thing, but his patterns are more free form. :rolleyes: My wife would kill me if I did that.
Mine are just little dots , where the rear corners of the speakers need to be , hardly noticeable and I don't know if she has spotted them :)

At the risk of offending anyone who uses studio monitors, many of them are far afield from accurate reproduction. Most studio monitors are durable and well built. Although I sold lots of brands of studio monitors in my hi-fi career, there was always something in our store that had a better tonal balance and/or better imaging.

Although classical music is less than 10% of my listening, I've often recommended to evaluate speakers with classical music, because it's (nearly always) acoustically created music. Processed and/or electronically amplified music isn't acoustically accurate or natural to begin with. OK, most of what I listen to isn't acoustic instrumentation. Still, if speakers can reproduce instruments' natural sound, they will do a wonderful job on electronically altered sounds, as well. The reverse is usually not true.

Although it's not the majority of what I listen to, I know what classical music should sound like live. For many years, under both Solti and Barenboim, I was a season subscriber to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

Indeed many so called studio monitors were quite dreadful , but many others were not ; most notably the BBC designed ones manufactured by KEF , Rogers and others , my IMF transmission lines ( when partnered by suitable amplifiers ) , certain Tannoys , some B&Ws ( DM70s famously used in Abbey Road for a while ) , Spendors and , while never designed as studio monitors , some broadcasters and studios did use various Quad ESLs for monitoring too .

I spent my student days working in the hi-fi trade , got to meet many legendary characters such as Peter Walker of Quad , Laurie Fincham of KEF/BBC , John Michell , JE Sugden , Arthur Radford , and many others at trade days in the hi-fi shows . Halcyon days . After deciding that electrical engineering wasn't what I wanted to do , I drifted into AV , sound , lighting , camerawork , recording , broadcasting and am now just a few years away from retiring and just playing with my toys .

Here is my latest acquisition. A JVC 4VR-5456X. Separate front and rear five channel graphic equalizers. 43 x 4 or 100 x 2 watts. It can decode SQ or CD 4 records. There was an optional wired balance and volume remote control available. I sure would like to get a hold of one of those. One of the 10 graphic equalizer slider control knobs was missing, but I have replaced it with one I made.
92A1DE84-201C-4ABB-8574-75425BB3D691.jpeg

1640814303359.jpeg

1640814346313.jpeg

These Edifier P17 speakers arrived today, helping me on the journey to Dolby Atmos. I've been 7.2 for a long time now, going to retire my venerable Pioneer SC-61 receiver when a new Onkyo TX-RZ840 arrives, hopefully Friday. I wanted the Onkyo TX-RZ50, but being retired has its constraints so saving $700 going with the previous model. Power is the same, but I'll be missing 8K and Dirac, both of which I can live without. I'll be running the heights, side surrounds and rear surrounds using the Onkyo, with a 3 channel amp for the front stage. Should have 7.2.2 when I'm done (though the subs will not be 'stereo' on this receiver). I have the new heights mounted on top of the cabinet as shown so I didn't have to cut into the ceiling. I have each of them mounted on 2 rubber door stops, I'll be watching to see if there's any movement at which point I may have to come up with something more secure.

Last edited:
I very seldom like to show my "inner sanctum" but I am SOOO HAPPYYYY with my center speaker placement with the TWO stands I got from Monoprice...you can't tellfrom the pic but it is angled to look down and it really does the trick , it seems that the sound comes from BEHIND the "little tiny" monitor I have...this rocks!
Happy New Year everyone of my QQ brethren!!!
IMG_0521 copy.jpg

1641047408305.png

Onkyo TX-RZ840 arrived yesterday. Got it in the cabinet, which is no easy feat. Renewing your main piece of gear is never fun, and this cabinet is not meant for easy removal/replacement.Took the time to upgrade some wiring though while everything was apart. Got it working last night, but of course I'll spend the next 6 months tweaking things.:)

Back