Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found it. Thanks for the link and directions. You did a clean looking job of applying the fabric. In the Home Theater world that sort of fabric false wall used to hide your front stage gear is referred to as a "screen wall". It's unfortunate you were not able to center the front LCR trio on the room's centerline. I would expect the asymmetry to cause some issues with the RH side of the image and soundstage. Did you apply any acoustic treatments behind your screen wall? How about tilting each loudspeaker (the center channel in particular) so it's optimal vertical acoustic axis is aimed at the listener's ears? The radiation pattern of those sorts of planar dynamic tweeters tend to have a very narrow vertical listening window.
I'm afraid centering was never going to be an option, so I'll have to put up with a few audio problems. Once I get the shelves built on the left side, I'll do an analysis of the acoustics and see what needs to be done.

Behind the screen is a cavity about two feet deep. The back wall is a stud wall with drywall on the far side (one wall of the shop behind it). On the theater side, I put denim insulation between the studs, and covered that with the same fabric (I still have plenty left over). Yes, the speakers are tilted toward the opposite listener's position, and the center is tilted up a bit, although it's not as far off-axis as the other speakers would be.

After another 2 weeks' concerted effort, the pair of new color-matched DIY broadband/bass traps are complete and up in place high on the rear wall and all the BAD (Binary Amplitude Diffuser) scatter plates are stained, sealed and permanently installed. Just the primary reflection points on the rear ceiling left to address now...

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 2.14.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 2.16.11 PM.png

After another 2 weeks' concerted effort, the pair of new color-matched DIY broadband/bass traps are complete and up in place high on the rear wall and all the BAD (Binary Amplitude Diffuser) scatter plates are stained, sealed and permanently installed. Just the primary reflection points on the rear ceiling left to address now...

View attachment 78678
View attachment 78679
Awesome room, how high are ceilings?

Last edited:
Thank you. It's been a 25 year evolution. I'd gather you were asking about my ceiling height @Mcallister? If so, the room dimensions are 20'-7"(L) x 14'(W) x 11'(H).
One of the subtle aspects of these pics I like is the well worn sweet spot middle chair. I can tell many good times spent there with music & movies.

Because I don't have enough to obsess about, maybe we all should think about rotating our listening seats every 5,000 hours use?

The same room, 24 years ago. The system was simpler (just stereo) and my DIY room treatments decidedly more rudimentary (and sparse) back then...
View attachment 78684
View attachment 78685

Funny how small the TV looks in there. Reminds me of the huge 25" TV I used to watch movies on! Thankfully, display technology has come a long way!

Thank you. It's been a 25 year evolution. I'd gather you were asking about my ceiling height @Mcallister? If so, the room dimensions are 20'-7"(L) x 14'(W) x 11'(H).
What is the story behind the 11 ft high ceiling? Most of us have to deal with 8 to 9 feet ceilings. In my basement cave, the ceilings aren't even 8 feet high...a challenge for an Atmos/Auro3D installation.

What is the story behind the 11 ft high ceiling? Most of us have to deal with 8 to 9 feet ceilings. In my basement cave, the ceilings aren't even 8 feet high...a challenge for an Atmos/Auro3D installation.

When I made the decision to move both my bicycle business and living quarters into the same three story brick century building 25 years ago, the 11' high ceilings and wide open floors which I could configure however I saw fit were a big part of the appeal. Of course back then we all had had no inkling of Immersive Audio or even discrete surround sound! Heck, I was a devout vacuum tube amplified 2 channel guy back then. When it came to building my loft apartment and a dedicated audio room in the converted 2nd floor commercial space, I just liked the aesthetic and appreciated the acoustic benefits of the taller ceilings.

As to overhead loudspeaker Atmos installs in room with standard 8' ceiling heights or even slightly lower, you can still meet Dolby's recommended positioning requirements and obtain great immersive audio performance. However lower ceiling heights will likely make tidy looking in-wall/in-ceiling speakers a poor choice for your Atmos heights in this case. In-wall/in-ceiling speakers won't allow for proper alignment of the Atmos height speakers' ideal acoustic axis with the listening area. So if you have 8' or slightly lower ceilings, ideally you want an Atmos height speaker install that looks more like mine anyways!

Finally and frankly, no in-wall/in-ceiling loudspeaker is going to offer a seamless "voicing" match to conventional freestanding loudspeakers... Period. The same goes for those little "ceiling bounce" Atmos modules you plop on top of your bed loudspeakers. Contrary to loudspeaker manufacturers' marketing bafflegab, these are terribly compromised approaches. Sermon over.

When I made the decision to move both my bicycle business and living quarters into the same three story brick century building 25 years ago, the 11' high ceilings and wide open floors which I could configure however I saw fit were a big part of the appeal.
I'm so envious of your listening space and you having the ability to design to your desires.
An incredible listening experience I'm sure.

Contrary to loudspeaker manufacturers' marketing bafflegab, these are terribly compromised approaches. Sermon over.
Absolutely true. But I try not to disparage owners of such systems.
The more they buy such gear and enthuse over their listening experiences, the greater chance we have of this round of surround music's popularity not failing as it has in past decades.. ;)

...As to overhead loudspeaker Atmos installs in room with standard 8' ceiling heights or even slightly lower, you can still meet Dolby's recommended positioning requirements and obtain great immersive audio performance. However lower ceiling heights will likely make tidy looking in-wall/in-ceiling speakers a poor choice for your Atmos heights in this case. In-wall/in-ceiling speakers won't allow for proper alignment of the Atmos height speakers' ideal acoustic axis with the listening area. So if you have 8' or slightly lower ceilings, ideally you want an Atmos height speaker install that looks more like mine anyways!...

That's why the in-ceiling speakers installed in my 7.0.5 system are full-blown bookshelf models properly aimed at the listening area:

AV system with Atmos Auro3D 2021.jpg

Finally and frankly, no in-wall/in-ceiling loudspeaker is going to offer a seamless "voicing" match to conventional freestanding loudspeakers... Period.
It's a compromise even with these full-size bookshelf ceiling speakers when the mains, surrounds and center speakers are extremely large. Time to figure out how to shoehorn ginormous AR tower speakers into the ceiling. 🤣

I feel you when it comes to trying to shoehorn multiple of large full range loudspeakers into modest sized domestic listening spaces, even when they are dedicated spaces. Prior to the system-wide revision that saw me move to stand mounted ATC active monitors 2-3 years ago, I ran large floor standers with side mounted woofers up front and smaller floor standers on short custom stands at the rear for about a decade. The 4-1/2 ft tall, 140+ lbs each Meridian DSP6000 LCR trio each sported six 8" woofers on the sides of their bass cabinets. I ran the more modestly sized and appearing DSP5000 as surrounds.

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 4.56.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 4.59.49 PM.png

I don't miss them AT ALL! :hi The DSP6000s clearly needed a larger room than I have to provide them with in order to achieve their best. These speakers were ranked in Stereophile magazine's highest "Class A" review category for years. But after trying to tame their bass for years, I just never managed to come to terms with them in my dedicated music room. To achieve acceptable mid-bass I was forced to cross them to my Seaton subs at 80Hz. This despite the flagship Meridian's being only 3dB down at 25Hz themselves. Even then the mid and upper bass was still a little woolly sounding.

My current standmounted ATC SCM20 active monitors (all 5 bed loudspeakers) were easy to work with in comparison. Subwoofer integration was perfect and achieved without undue effort and aggravation. Bass is tight, clean and visceral. With great Atmos or DTS-X material, the closely related SCM12i monitors on my ceiling create both seamless vertical pans between themselves and the bed loudspeakers and horizontal pans between themselves. Every one of my ATC's will cast a beautifully solid image between any other horizontally or vertically adjacent ATC. Excuse me for the fanboy gush here but its freakin' magical! I can truly attest as to why so many of the mix engineers behind the best recorded music and movie soundtracks work on ATC monitors.

Last edited:
1653067026425.jpeg

New arrival today. I had two Polk 12” ported subs and already sold the newest one. After running this for an hour (sounds awesome with music), I’m thinking this will replace both of them. I still have one of the Polks but doubt it would play nice with the sealed sub. But don’t think I won’t experiment:D

New arrival today
Good luck. SVS sealed subs are great, I've got a pair of SB2000 here and love them.
They were fairly easy for me to get my pair dialed in using Audyssey and the Editor app..
Later I then remeasured using REW and a Umik, then went back into Audyssey and did some tweaking to get things a bit flatter.
In-room bass response is flat to under 20 hz., scary with some deep organ music I have.

Last edited:
Yesterday I received the calibration mic and today I got the pre and the amp (REALLY HEAVY!).. I have to rearrange the room 90º to the right so it's gonna be a while until I get a goin' !!!!
Will report back!
there for a second Kap'n, thought you'd said "until I get a new groin"; parts are just parts I guess huh 😬

Best of luck with your new Parts!!!

there for a second Kap'n, thought you'd said "until I get a new groin"; parts are just parts I guess huh 😬

Best of luck with your new Parts!!!
THAT TOO!!!! LOL!!!

If you find out where to get a new one Kap'n, please post the link here or in that Surround Master thread where they talked about the 6 million dollar man. :D

Back