Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thought actually crossed my crazy quad mind when I fired her up....that's what I definitely need....two of them...more amps...50 year old amps....
I thought I was out of control. My amps can plow 400 wpc into the fronts and 350 wpc into the rears in quad mode, but those are 4 ohm ratings. The Phase Linear 700B is even more humongous at 350 wpc into 8 ohms. Heaven knows what they can put into a 4 ohm load. A pair of the 700B amps in a quad system? Now that would be quite a spectacle! I need meters!!!

I thought I was out of control. My amps can plow 400 wpc into the fronts and 350 wpc into the rears in quad mode, but those are 4 ohm ratings. The Phase Linear 700B is even more humongous at 350 wpc into 8 ohms. Heaven knows what they can put into a 4 ohm load. A pair of the 700B amps in a quad system? Now that would be quite a spectacle! I need meters!!!
I used to try to explain to people that the very high power that I was running wasn't simply to make my system loud. It's like driving a V8 compared to a little 4 cylinder. You have the power when you need it, that doesn't mean that you normally drive well over the speed limit!

Picked this up recently. The vinyl veneer and plywood case is in bad shape though. Currently scraping the old stuff off so I can press on some new walnut grain contact paper. Works just fine though. Good EV-4/synth circuit. Only bad thing is you have to really crank the volume up to get the VU meters to dance.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 0
In addition, although Topp/Juliette was cheap particleboard department store crap the above amp isn't too shabbily built for what it is. All discrete transistor outputs with fuse and thermal protection. Topp/Juliette also sold a Q8 player which was a rebranded Toshiba PT-114.

First kid has finished the installation of this 5.1 dedicated home theater in the basement. Unfortunately, it's centered totally around movies and not audio, but it's a start. Better than what they had before which was an HD TV using TV speakers. It's a very nice space for watching movies. That projection TV (white box in front of the screen) is a convenient little beast.

They had a sign made up that says "family name" Cinemas that is a nice touch. Note candy and snacks in that little arch in the wall with shelves.

Cinema 1.jpg
Cinema 2.jpg

Can't help posting a pic in this thread as well..
the Amp Master is sounding fantastic...and to think I had a pre-amp in the closet with blue LED's to pair it up with! Anyway, having a lot of fun with the new Amp, the SM and a new but old pre-amp. I actually removed all of my other gear for the time being. Back to basics.

20220917_210536.jpg

First kid has finished the installation of this 5.1 dedicated home theater in the basement. Unfortunately, it's centered totally around movies and not audio, but it's a start. Better than what they had before which was an HD TV using TV speakers. It's a very nice space for watching movies. That projection TV (white box in front of the screen) is a convenient little beast.

They had a sign made up that says "family name" Cinemas that is a nice touch. Note candy and snacks in that little arch in the wall with shelves.

View attachment 83463View attachment 83464

Really nice set up. Did you help run wires & paint? Dark carpet would be better but having the black ceiling & wall helps keep down stray light from the screen. It is similar to the set up my older SiL has with a black wall around the screen but he has a white ceiling that reflects so much it seems to be brighter than the screen sometimes.

Looks like a pretty good choice of seating where the rear of the seats doesn't cover the back of the head. Maybe in the rear auxillary seating it does, but it wouldn't matter so much there.

Is that an AVR sitting right underneath the projector? That's pretty convenient.

I too have a projector set up, not a huge screen just 8 footer. And a Panny 8000 projector. I used to say I might have a $200 futon to sit on but I have a$4K projector on the ceiling! That's one of the reasons I'm not so fanatical about ripping everything I can & enjoying thru Kodi or J River. I mean, the shots QQ friends post with the album pic, track listing, etc is very impressive. But I'm not going to burn a $400 bulb just to look at still picturres while listening to music. I'd say the conventional light emmiting flat panel display is more practical for most people. But it just doesn't have that cinema feel. Anything else is just watching TV.

Really nice set up. Did you help run wires & paint? Dark carpet would be better but having the black ceiling & wall helps keep down stray light from the screen. It is similar to the set up my older SiL has with a black wall around the screen but he has a white ceiling that reflects so much it seems to be brighter than the screen sometimes.

Looks like a pretty good choice of seating where the rear of the seats doesn't cover the back of the head. Maybe in the rear auxillary seating it does, but it wouldn't matter so much there.

Is that an AVR sitting right underneath the projector? That's pretty convenient.

I too have a projector set up, not a huge screen just 8 footer. And a Panny 8000 projector. I used to say I might have a $200 futon to sit on but I have a$4K projector on the ceiling! That's one of the reasons I'm not so fanatical about ripping everything I can & enjoying thru Kodi or J River. I mean, the shots QQ friends post with the album pic, track listing, etc is very impressive. But I'm not going to burn a $400 bulb just to look at still picturres while listening to music. I'd say the conventional light emmiting flat panel display is more practical for most people. But it just doesn't have that cinema feel. Anything else is just watching TV.
He did everything himself except building the rear wall and door, which was contracted out. The wiring wasn't that difficult as there is unfinished basement space behind the front and side wall. I gave him some advice on going 5.1 or Atmos as well as some pointers on the subwoofer. He decided to go for a 5.1 AVR as he had a budget to adhere to. That projection TV costs around $2 grand. We watched Godzilla vs. Kong in 4K. The whole presentation including the audio portion was impressive. I like Godzilla.

That what I did but due to space I got a 10" HD monitor, much better than trashing the OLED!
I looked hard at getting a monitor, but with a remote control tv I could set up an 'activity' with the Harmony remote. Now if I want to watch apps on the Apple TV I turn on 'Apple TV' so the system and big screen come on. For 'Apple Music' on the Harmony the system comes on with the small screen. 24" is almost too small for these old eyes, glad the ATV has a zoom feature.:D

I looked hard at getting a monitor, but with a remote control tv I could set up an 'activity' with the Harmony remote. Now if I want to watch apps on the Apple TV I turn on 'Apple TV' so the system and big screen come on. For 'Apple Music' on the Harmony the system comes on with the small screen. 24" is almost too small for these old eyes, glad the ATV has a zoom feature.:D
I know the feeling. The monitor I bought has to sit on top of one of the speakers, between the OLED TV & my hi-fi rack - it just fits. I have to walk up to it to be able to see the disc menus :ROFLMAO: or may be that should be a :geek:

One feature I like about my Sony 75 LCD is the Picture Off button on the remote. I can do any configuration needed at startup then just shut off the picture when not needed. Great for organizing my playlist on my PC server, then just kill the video to continue listening for a few dark late night hours.

One feature I like about my Sony 75 LCD is the Picture Off button on the remote. I can do any configuration needed at startup then just shut off the picture when not needed. Great for organizing my playlist on my PC server, then just kill the video to continue listening for a few dark late night hours.
I discovered that my LG also has a picture off feature, but I like to watch the lyrics roll up the screen sometimes and, I hate to admit, occasionally I'll jump around the playlists quite a bit so having a screen on all the time suits my warped listening habits.🤪

I discovered that my LG also has a picture off feature, but I like to watch the lyrics roll up the screen sometimes and, I hate to admit, occasionally I'll jump around the playlists quite a bit so having a screen on all the time suits my warped listening habits.🤪
Sure, I do the same often, whatever floats your boat.
I mostly enjoy a darkened room for my late nighters.
The light hurts my stoned eyes. LOL

Sure, I do the same often, whatever floats your boat.
I mostly enjoy a darkened room for my late nighters.
The light hurts my stoned eyes. LOL
Further to listening habits, I find if I put a disc in, I'll likely listen all the way through. Atmos and such on Apple Music gives me a 'kid in the candy store' feeling where I have to sample everything. Thought that would have worn off by now, but noooo.

Back