Shure SPS Cartridge

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince380

I have this Shure SPS cartridge on a Technics SL-1400 I picked up and it has a broken stylus. Any suggestions on whether it is worth purchasing a new stylus (770-DEX) from turntableneedles.com for $124, a $30 stylus from LP Gear or just put the money toward a new cart? Is this just an entry grade cartridge? How can I tell if it is a SPS-1 or SPS-2 cartridge? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks

Apparently there are many models of SPS. Found this at https://service.shure.com/s/article/replacement-styli-for-sps-series?language=en_US
[I've never seen one.] "The SPS line had many different model numbers"
Question
I have looked at your stylus/cartridge cross reference page and I find no mention of the SPS (Shure Performance & Sound) series of cartridges. These were made in the late 1970s. I'm interested in the stylus specifications and availability of replacements for the cartridge models MG956 and Pro-9 which were in this series. Can you advise? Thanks.
Answer

The SPS line had many different model numbers depending on what hi-fi chain sold it. Sorry, we no longer have any replacement styli that will fit this.

Thanks for the info. After looking at the cartridge under magnification I see that "SL" is printed on the front of the cartridge where the stylus is inserted. I'm guessing the "SL" indicates this cartridge was designated for use on the Technics SL-1400 that the cartridge was mounted on. The cartridge is black and the stylus body is brown and has a VERY small "1" stamped on the underside. I have sent pictures and information to Technics and I'm hopeful they will get back to me. This search has really peaked my interest now and I just need to know what it is and if it is a decent cartridge and what types of stylus are available for it. Since it is vintage from the 70's, I'm looking for something that would match up for play of CD-4 vinyl from the era.

Attachments

• Shure SPS cartridge (3).jpg
    Shure SPS cartridge (3).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Shure SPS cartridge (2).jpg
    Shure SPS cartridge (2).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Shure SPS cartridge (1).jpg
    Shure SPS cartridge (1).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
"SL" is the date code. In this case, it means the cartridge was manufactured in December of 1979.

Doug

Thanks for the info. After looking at the cartridge under magnification I see that "SL" is printed on the front of the cartridge where the stylus is inserted. I'm guessing the "SL" indicates this cartridge was designated for use on the Technics SL-1400 that the cartridge was mounted on. The cartridge is black and the stylus body is brown and has a VERY small "1" stamped on the underside. I have sent pictures and information to Technics and I'm hopeful they will get back to me. This search has really peaked my interest now and I just need to know what it is and if it is a decent cartridge and what types of stylus are available for it. Since it is vintage from the 70's, I'm looking for something that would match up for play of CD-4 vinyl from the era.

Do you know that it will track CD-4 ?

If it does that would be a cheap price for a good discrete cart .

I'm a bit curious as I have the Shure M 24H , Cartridge and stylus , and it improves tracking grooves for CD-4 rather spectacular IMO , much better than most Shibata carts from the 70's .

So if this stylus does as good as the N 24 stylus it's worthwhile knowing that it does.

Would love to get a M24H cart and stylus as it was the only cartridge and stylus made by Shure specifically for CD-4, other Quad formats and stereo. Just can't pull the $$$ trigger on the ones I have seen for sale online that are used and you don't know the history or real working condition.

At this point, without having the cart spec's , I'm not sure that it is okay for CD-4 play. I think it would need to get a NOS Shure hypereliptical N15 or N16 stylus or a very high quality replacement.

I believe it is a SPS-1, 2, 3 or 4 as it has the flat bottom on the cartridge. Would anyone here have the spec's for these cartridges?

Last edited:
"SL" is the date code. In this case, it means the cartridge was manufactured in December of 1979.

Doug
Thanks! Doug, is there a data base available where you got this info? Just curious. And would you know the spec's for this SPS1 thru SPS 4 (flat on bottom) cart.

If it's any bit of a consolation , the Shure M 24H was a bit pricey compared to many other CD-4 Carts of the day.
I bought mine in 1976 or 77 , after hearing very positive things about it's performance .

And by pricey I mean lot's of $$$ for that Shure CD-4 cartridge which btw was not released until sometime in 1976 !
That was rather late in the quad years FYI .

If it's any bit of a consolation , the Shure M 24H was a bit pricey compared to many other CD-4 Carts of the day.
I bought mine in 1976 or 77 , after hearing very positive things about it's performance .

And by pricey I mean lot's of $$$ for that Shure CD-4 cartridge which btw was not released until sometime in 1976 !
That was rather late in the quad years FYI .
I ordered my M24H as soon as I saw it advertised in Stereo Review. It was $75, including shipping (I was in Iceland at the time). The difference it made, compared to the Audio-Technica I had been using, was night and day.

I ordered my M24H as soon as I saw it advertised in Stereo Review. It was $75, including shipping (I was in Iceland at the time). The difference it made, compared to the Audio-Technica I had been using, was night and day.
Wow, makes me want to try and find the elusive M24H cartridge and stylus!

Just think how 75 bucks is cheap, these days.

I have always believed, and still do, sticking with cartridges specifically designed for CD-4 is the best bet. Discussions have appeared about the Audio Technica AT440MLa and related cartridges and, although they generally work pretty well, they still fall a bit short when the going gets tough (heavily modulated passages with sharp transcients, etc.). Cartridges designed for regular two channel uses generally fall short, in one spec. or another, in keeping the carrier level up there for the demodulator.

I have several of the well-known CD-4 cartridges of the day, even three of the Panasonic Strain Gauge cartridges, but I am lacking the Shure M24H and would love to have one.

Doug

Just think how 75 bucks is cheap, these days.

I have always believed, and still do, sticking with cartridges specifically designed for CD-4 is the best bet. Discussions have appeared about the Audio Technica AT440MLa and related cartridges and, although they generally work pretty well, they still fall a bit short when the going gets tough (heavily modulated passages with sharp transcients, etc.). Cartridges designed for regular two channel uses generally fall short, in one spec. or another, in keeping the carrier level up there for the demodulator.

I have several of the well-known CD-4 cartridges of the day, even three of the Panasonic Strain Gauge cartridges, but I am lacking the Shure M24H and would love to have one.

Doug
It's worth hunting down if you can. It sounds great with stereo and matrixed quad records, too. I'm using an aftermarket Shibata stylus with mine, and am more than impressed.

It's worth hunting down if you can. It sounds great with stereo and matrixed quad records, too. I'm using an aftermarket Shibata stylus with mine, and am more than impressed.

Yes, I have a 440MLa and it's a wonderful cartridge and even generally sounds great with CD-4. It's just that it doesn't quite make it with difficult passages in CD-4 as I mentioned. Absolutely recommended for stereo and matrix quad.

EDIT: Dang, I neglected to look at the complete quote of my own post and now realize jaybird was talking about the M24H, not the AT440MLa.

Doug

Last edited:

That's exactly what I thought* when I set mine up and played some known CD-4 difficult tracks in my CD-4 Quadradisc collection.
I switched from a JVC 4MD 20 X , Shibata cartridge !

*the difference is like night and day.

:)
20210909_182307.jpg
20210909_182323.jpg

Yes, I have a 440MLa and it's a wonderful cartridge and even generally sounds great with CD-4. It's just that it doesn't quite make it with difficult passages in CD-4 as I mentioned. Absolutely recommended for stereo and matrix quad.

EDIT: Dang, I neglected to look at the complete quote of my own post and now realize jaybird was talking about the M24H, not the AT440MLa.

Doug
The 440MLa is a great cartridge, but it lacks sufficient high-end response for optimum CD-4 performance. You'll hear the difference with the M24H. It's that good.

Just purchased the M24H cartridge and NOS N24H stylus. Looking forward to getting it installed and giving it a test ride. I really appreciate the input from everyone on this discussion.

Now, getting back to the initial search on the proper SPS cartridge stylus. I have found a 770-DHE Green hypereliptical stylus, but I would like to be sure that it will function well as an upgrade in the cartridge and possible use as a CD-4 cartridge for comparison purposes. I have not been able to identify or determine other than the cartridge is a flat on the bottom SPS 1, 2, 3 or 4. Does anyone know if the Green will work properly in a SPS that had the Brown ( N11?/ 770-DEX?) stylus?

Back