• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Silverline DVD-A Winners & Losers

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

wavelength

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
The Jackie Leven DVD~A sounds 'otherworldly' on my system. I was playing it recently and sonically, it IS one of the better discs in my collection. Surprised it never caught on. The surround is hardly subtle as my listening room was awash in swirling effects and created quite the immersive soundfield.

To me, at least, it's a 10 out of 10!

https://www.amazon.com/Shining-Brother-Sister-Jackie-Leven/dp/B000DNVJ54/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1487716336&sr=1-3-fkmr2&keywords=Jackie+Leven+DVD~Audio
It really is a great, one-of-a-kind album. I'm so glad I picked this one up.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I just purchased this Dual Disc for $9.00, cant wait, sounds good on my shit speaker work computer.51rCBe4KujL.jpg

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Markie, apply those TWO tweaks and you've got an outstanding sounding disc. It gives me goosebumps every time I hear it on my system.
I am getting lazy, I don't like using the Mikrosmooth anymore, too much of an ordeal, except for extra special music that I like.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I am getting lazy, I don't like using the Mikrosmooth anymore, too much of an ordeal, except for extra special music that I like.
With ALL that rain in Northern and Southern California, you're probably busy night and day but don't be lazy.....it's UNAMERICAN!

And when are you getting an OLED TV? The Scorpions, Katie Perry, Joe Satriani, Pat Metheny, Peter Gabriel etc. in 3D. And ALL those MARVEL action movies in 3D.....HOW CAN YOU RESIST, Mr. McIntosh? If you like MLP, you'll LOVE OLED!

BTW, on CNN today they say residents of Oakland, CA who live in second floor apartments are evacuating in BOATS. What's Going ON?

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
With ALL that rain in Northern and Southern California, you're probably busy night and day but don't be lazy.....it's UNAMERICAN!

And when are you getting an OLED TV? The Scorpions, Katie Perry, Joe Satriani, Pat Metheny, Peter Gabriel etc. in 3D. And ALL those MARVEL action movies in 3D.....HOW CAN YOU RESIST, Mr. McIntosh? If you like MLP, you'll LOVE OLED!

BTW, on CNN today they say residents of Oakland, CA who live in second floor apartments are evacuating in BOATS. What's Going ON?
It is very intense, especially for roofers, as we are just not available to help anyone. I have 100 calls just today. Since Dec 31 we have only worked 11 days. Little break through Friday and another round starts on Saturday. All creeks, dams, rivers are over capacity and breaking.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
It is very intense, especially for roofers, as we are just not available to help anyone. I have 100 calls just today. Since Dec 31 we have only worked 11 days. Little break through Friday and another round starts on Saturday. All creeks, dams, rivers are over capacity and breaking.
INSANE. From extreme drought to DELUGE.

A few years ago we had 11 inches of rain over a two day period and my basement flooded. I lost a $14K Krell MONO amp (no rider on my home insurance). Hope you guys are safe. On Thursday, it's going to be 70 degrees in NY......should be in the high 40's. NO Global warming.........BS!

beerking

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This is a fascinating thread. I own quite a few of these discs.

I didn't know about the classical releases that are getting good reviews.
I will need to look into these and see what's about.:unsure:

Although that can wait, as I'm busy celebrating Manchester United's incredible win at Juventus in the Champions League.

They won 2 1!! Get in. Wahooo

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Living Colour Collideøscope

This is no surround tour de force.

Occasionally things pop from the surrounds.
Bongos, bgv's, organ, sometimes guitars or the lead vocal.

It is often that not all parts are in the surrounds, so the fronts tend to be somewhat discrete, if that makes sense.
The surrounds are not the stereo run through reverb.

The mix is overall somewhat muddy or dull.

My suspicion is that this is a wrap job.

Though the center usually has isolated elements, they are very faint.

I just wonder if all this could have been achieved with upmixing.

I sure would have taken a different approach to just about every moment of every song.

Maybe whatever is hard panned in the stereo mix is what pops from the surrounds? I think that's the way a wrap job works.

YMMV on the songs, but I don't think this is their best work. There is no "cult of personality" here.

Not very impressed with this one.

sbrom

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Markie, apply those TWO tweaks and you've got an outstanding sounding disc. It gives me goosebumps every time I hear it on my system.
This is an old post, but I’d like to hear about the TWO tweaks you mentioned. I’ve truly enjoy Jackie Levin, as is, would love to hear any possible improvements.

halbroome

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Never realized THE OLD KIT BAG by Thompson was Silverline! I do like it (and the lyrics that appear during the tunes). IIRC (and am not thinking of his other surround) it was going for bonkers prices, but I contacted the website and they actually had an at-cost one they dug up for me!

Bravo!

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Never realized THE OLD KIT BAG by Thompson was Silverline! I do like it (and the lyrics that appear during the tunes). IIRC (and am not thinking of his other surround) it was going for bonkers prices, but I contacted the website and they actually had an at-cost one they dug up for me!

Bravo!
Rumour & Sigh tends to command high prices. Old Kit Bag, not so much, as far as I've seen.

humprof

Bravo!
"The website"? Thompson's website? (I see CD copies of Old Kit Bag, but not DualDisc/DVD-A.) Do tell!

halbroome

"The website"? Thompson's website? (I see CD copies of Old Kit Bag, but not DualDisc/DVD-A.) Do tell!
This was several years ago, so don't get your hopes up (however, as I found out, it doesn't hurt to ask!). I recently ordered an autographed CD from RT's website. Why not. Have seen him solo several times and vastly enjoyed it!

humprof

This was several years ago, so don't get your hopes up. I recently ordered an autographed CD from RT's website. Why not. Have seen him solo several times and vastly enjoyed it!
Agreed: he's a great showman, with a lovely and generous stage presence!