HiRez Poll Simon, Carly - NO SECRETS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Carly Simon - NO SECRETS

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

At times, it's like I'm in the studio with Carly tinkling on that piano of hers.....not sure this is a 'great' album, but there's enough to love, and the mix, while typical Richard Perry clinical, is so honest to its source, really no complaints on this end.....so sue me!

ED :)

I think i would say the same thing about this disc as i said about the Doobie Bros. capt. & Me.
A great disc with a very good surround mix. I give it a 9 instead of a 10 because i prefer the origonal quad Q8 just a little bit better.

had some money burning a hole in my pocket on my last trip to fry's so i picked this up based on the respectable scores this has received on this poll. am i glad i did! A really nice, rich mix of an album i had forgotten i knew by heart at one time. really nicely done - - and yes, one of the great album covers ever.

Great sounding disc.
Great looking pictures to look at on the tube ;) while the music' is going.

This is still one of the all-time classic albums, especially that cover (leer).
However - I found that when it comes to the actual mix I prefer the original Quad version over this new mix. Somehow the engineer seems to have lost something along the line - not sure what, but the mix is, well, very safe.
The sound quality on the DVD-A blows the DTS Quad mix I have clean out of the water - it is superbly clean & detailed yet does not sound clinical & digital like some remixes seem to do.
This version has what can only be described as a superb openness about it - the top end in particular is close to perfect.

Great Sound, shame about the mix.
7/10

I am late as usual but just got this classic album on DVD-A. Surely Carly is not a great singer by traditional standards but she is at her best here. Good fidelity and very good mix and my best guess is we will never see a better presentation of this album.

Chris

I agree with the previous posters. The cover is beautiful. Not a great album. I prefer the original Quad mix (a little "tougher" sounding). But when you cue up You're So Vain and guitar and drums lift out of different worlds, it's all of a sudden a rock album. Sing it Mick! "8"

Quite like this album, and the sound is spot on.

In the end I saw this was getting difficult to get and brought this in a DVD splurge at the start of this year. when i decided to get them before they are gone.
A keeper solid 8/9 album

"You're So Vain" was one of those 'talked about' records of its time, like "American Pie," that overshadowed the rest of the album from which they came. But listen further and you found on both hidden gems: here, these include "His Friends Are More Than Fond Of Robin"(flip of the hit), "Night Owl"(an old Flying Machine tune from hubby James Taylor), the overblown but evocative "Embrace Me You Child," and the gentle "When You Close Your Eyes." Not all of it works, but surely her best album next to ANTICIPATION, which regrettably was not mixed to Quad(her tentative, inferior s/t debut did get Quad treatment, of course).

ED :)

Thanks entirely to Andy, my copy arrived today.

It's been well worth the wait, the trade attempts, and the hunting time and travel.

I love it.

I used to sign out the cassette at the library at least once a month when I was in high school.

I wore out my LP, but now this... bliss.

Last edited:
this is one of the classic female solo vocalists must haves in 5.1 , carol king , karen carpenter, emmylou harris.
the multi channel mix reveals the rich instrument details and the depth of her voice . a 10 for sure

Last edited:
this is one of the classic female vocalists must haves , carol king , karen carpenter, emmylou harris.
the multi channel mix reveals the rich instrument details and the depth of her voice . a 10 for sure

Not that familiar with Emmylou Harris but the others you mentioned are near the top of my favorite female vocalists...I have a sentimental attachment to Carly Simon...love that sound...a very enjoyable disc...

Back