Quad LP/Tape Poll Simon, Paul: There Goes Rhymin' Simon [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Rhymin' Simon"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia PCQ 32280, from 1973.

Side 1:

1. Kodachrome
2. Tenderness
3. Take Me to the Mardi Gras
4. Something So Right
5. One Man's Ceiling is Another Man's Floor

Side 2:

1. American Tune
2. Was a Sunny Day
3. Learn how to Fall
4. St. Judy's Comet
5. Loves Me Like a Rock

ED :)

8. What's good is fantastic. The rest is just OK.

mycTPjjBwYzV4WBEdV3n52w.jpg

With hindsight, it's easy to see--well, hear--that Simon wrote consistently more memorable songs while with Artie than he did on his own. As of SOUNDS OF SILENCE, it wasn't just the hits that were good--there were fine Lp cuts right through BRIDGE. Yeah, he did some silly or pretentious things like "The Dangling Conversation," but overall, he was one of the handful of truly gifted and inspired songwriters of his time. Solo, he could still come up with quality stuff, and most of these were issued as 45's, natch. But his solo albums, even later on, tend toward having highlights, but also some mediocre stuff that just seems to take up space. I think the material on this one is stronger than PS or CRAZY, if not by a lot. "Kodachrome" always brings a smile. An '8', close to 9.

ED :)

Another one I've finally heard in all it's discrete glory on Q8 after having the SQ for years. Great content...probably my favorite of his 3 LPs issued in quad. The mix is a solid Columbia four-corner discrete job but is maybe a bit front heavy on certain tracks. For example, "Kodachrome" has some percussion in the left rear and really low organ/keyboard in the right rear, until the guitar and the horns kick in during the chorus. "One Man's Ceiling" may be my favorite track off this one...great song and lots going on with backup singers in the mix.

9...The recent BOTW fiasco definitely confirms we'll never be seeing any of Simon's work reissued in surround. Garfunkel's solo quads maybe?

Last edited:
Working through the polls, I stop here to reflect on one of my favorite quads of all time. There is the mega-hit Kodachrome (giving us "crap in School" on the radio), the introspection of American Tune (I just stop what I'm doing as this goes right through me), One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's Floor (voodoo mystery feel) and other seemingly plausible reasons for each of the other tunes. I find the quad mix (Q8) very seductive and perhaps it's covering a shortcoming here and there possibly, the overall impact is what counts; that and Dolby B encoding too. I spent a lot of time at 14-15 playing with this other joystick on the Panasonic (I wonder if anybody got that?) quad system at my house. I knew what most of the channels sounded like when solo'd to one speaker at a time and what this revealed. There's a lot of treasure here in every direction with a great backing band and clever production to begin with, thank you Phil Ramone.

Working through the polls, I stop here to reflect on one of my favorite quads of all time. There is the mega-hit Kodachrome (giving us "crap in School" on the radio), the introspection of American Tune (I just stop what I'm doing as this goes right through me), One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's Floor (voodoo mystery feel) and other seemingly plausible reasons for each of the other tunes. I find the quad mix (Q8) very seductive and perhaps it's covering a shortcoming here and there possibly, the overall impact is what counts; that and Dolby B encoding too. I spent a lot of time at 14-15 playing with this other joystick on the Panasonic (I wonder if anybody got that?) quad system at my house. I knew what most of the channels sounded like when solo'd to one speaker at a time and what this revealed. There's a lot of treasure here in every direction with a great backing band and clever production to begin with, thank you Phil Ramone.

If ONLY Dutton Vocalion could get the rights to the Simon Columbia/SONY SOLO catalogue for release as QUAD SACDs.

With hindsight, it's easy to see--well, hear--that Simon wrote consistently more memorable songs while with Artie than he did on his own.

I couldn't disagree more. Even his recent work crushes much of the S&G stuff. I think in all eras he had inspired songs and some not so much. The only "perfect" album he ever did was Graceland, well after Artie.

Graceland is a desert island disc for me. Rhythm of the Saints is no slouch, either.
I find it tough to get in to the S&G stuff, honestly. It's just "ok." I tend to like PS solo stuff a lot better, even the weaker albums like You're the One. There are some klunkers, but the good stuff really works for me.
"Senorita with a Necklace of Tears," FTW.

adore this one in Quad, the SQ LP sounds lovely and decodes well thru the Surround Master. that said the Q8 is no slouch and will more than do for now, until/unless some label pulls off the unthinkable and gets this out on Surround SACD or something.

based on the Q8's mix and the SQ's fidelity its a QQ "10" from me (y)

My biggest gripe with the final two Paul Simons' (This one and Still Crazy) are the diagonally opposed drum kit. I just don't get how that is a logical instrument placement. If only one thing could be fix about these mixes, that's all I would ask. If they straightened that up, I wouldn't gripe about the diagonally opposed stereo piano during "One Man's Ceiling".

Whatever it is, I don't like diagonally opposed instruments. If you're doing a diagonal echo, that's ok with me.... I can understand the logic behind that (Stereo separation).

Ahh..... the joystick! have it on my pioneer QUAD receiver, and use it alot. This Q8 has excellent separation throughout. standouts are take me to the Mardi Gras-Love me like a rock-Kodachrome.

I'm punching my vote up to a 10! I re-recorded my Q8 with improved equipment a few weeks ago and it sounds unbelievably good.

If ANY album screams for a QUAD SACD reissue......this is IT. Too bad Simon isn't amenable to allowing it to be released along with all his other QUADs including the sensational Graceland!

Graceland is in quad???

Even though it was one of those early DDD recordings, there was 'supposedly' a 5.1 remix done and for some reason or another was never released. But there are SO many QUAD rumors, who knows for certain. If I'm not mistaken, it WAS on the list of DVD~A 5.1s pre~announced by Warner during their 'DVD~A period.'

However, while researching Graceland, I just came across this interesting tidbit of info: http://www.forums.stevehoffman.tv/t...-album-is-getting-the-remix-treatment.743895/

AmazonUS listing for Graceland: The Remixes: https://www.amazon.com/Graceland-Remixes-Paul-Simon/dp/B07BYH2W9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532317968&sr=8-1&keywords=Paul+Simon+Graceland:+the+remixes

Honestly, the Amazon reviews are either ecstatic or dismal. Paul allowed Graceland to be remixed in this fashion but ironically, refuses to allow the 5.1 remix [if it does exist] to be released.

I still have hope that SONY Japan will eventually release Bridge Over Troubled Water on QUAD SACD.........that is, when the dust settles on MoFi's $99 deluxe Vinyl Bridge release [QUADBLOCKED?].

Last edited:
Even though it was one of those early DDD recordings, there was 'supposedly' a 5.1 remix done and for some reason or another was never released. But there are SO many QUAD rumors, who knows for certain. If I'm not mistaken, it WAS on the list of DVD~A 5.1s pre~announced by Warner during their 'DVD~A period.'

However, while researching Graceland, I just came across this interesting tidbit of info: http://www.forums.stevehoffman.tv/t...-album-is-getting-the-remix-treatment.743895/
Very interesting SHF thread. Whatever the "surround mix" link is on that page, it just takes me to a fabric retailer... Maybe because of my location? Weird redirect or bait and switch.
I would die to hear Graceland properly mixed in surround.

Very interesting SHF thread. Whatever the "surround mix" link is on that page, it just takes me to a fabric retailer... Maybe because of my location? Weird redirect or bait and switch.
I would die to hear Graceland properly mixed in surround.

Believe it or not, that surround mix link on the SHF takes you to RIVERSIDE [the group] in 5.1 from Best Buy. Probably just an example of a proper 5.1 mix https://www.bestbuy.com/site/love-f...9&loc=je6NUbpObpQ&acampID=12626331294&cmp=RMX

Geez, that's an interesting choice, considering it's standard res (right?) and opinions about the mix choices are... mixed... 😁

If you're referring to the Graceland remixes....yes, it is Lo res and the samples offered at SHF are meh! Can't imagine Simon preferring that over a proper 5.1 remix of his classic.

Back