Simple Atmos Decoder (not a sound bar)??

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

boondocks

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
There is a playback system called Fmod Studio that can use the Dolby software for Windows (Dolby/Atmos package should be in Windows store)
I believe it's essentially a 12-channel software player. I had it installed but at the time decided to forget it for a while and never installed the Windows Dolby package. I believe this is all geared toward gaming....and I don't know all it's capabilities.
If you want to wade through it all, the site is here:

Actually is more in depth that I remembered.

MidiMagic

You could dig into a soundbar and substitute extension speaker cables for the side and up speakers.

fourml8r

Thank you. I’m surprised 7.2 is marketed as “Atmos.” Is there one out there with ceiling speakers too by chance? 7.1.4 or more? 7.1.4 is what is considered the minimum for people making Atmos records.
7 channels is the minimum "requirement" for a full atmos system (Not including any watered down versions of the technology like soundbars, headphones, etc.). there are 5 main channels (bed layer) plus 2 atmos channels for a total of 7. however, 9 channels (5 bed and 4 atmos) is a more desired configuration if your room allows it.

boondocks

QQ Supporter
I would only modify fourml8r's statement from "if your room allows it" to "if your wallet can afford it".
I had fully planned to buy a system more capable than my Onkyo's 5.1.2 atmos.....until I started pricing the next tier. Wowsa ain't gonna happen for this old retiree unless prices take a header which is unlikely.

mrcond

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I would only modify fourml8r's statement from "if your room allows it" to "if your wallet can afford it".
I had fully planned to buy a system more capable than my Onkyo's 5.1.2 atmos.....until I started pricing the next tier. Wowsa ain't gonna happen for this old retiree unless prices take a header which is unlikely.
If you are willing to wait a couple of years, I bet this year's crop of "state of the art" Atmos receivers will hit the used market at substantially discounted prices when the next wave is released from Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, etc. They seem to come out with new models fairly regularly.

kamranv

QQ Supporter
If you are willing to wait a couple of years, I bet this year's crop of "state of the art" Atmos receivers will hit the used market at substantially discounted prices when the next wave is released from Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, etc. They seem to come out with new models fairly regularly.
Good thinking. I also feel like there may be a next wave of non-dolby but still "Atmos compatible" (aka codec-agnostic Next Generation Audio) processors. The Atmos master file is built on an open spec but DD+JOC is what apple is using and AC4-IMS is what Tidal on Android is using. Not sure how open these methods are but I gotta believe that they are similarly open or reasonably compatible in some way if the source file is based on an open standard. Anyone out there smart like that with what the hell is going on with these delivery methods?