Simple Atmos Decoder (not a sound bar)??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamranv

QQ Supporter
Hi Everyone.
I have possibly an easy question. Does anyone know of a simple consumer-grade Dobly Atmos decoder that operates kind of like a receiver but doesn’t have a power amp in it? As some of you know, I make spacial music and I'd reference mixes once they're distributed on Apple Music and tidal however all can find are expensive super-audiophile receivers and no-so-great/accurate sound bars. I can't seem to find any in between.

Has anyone found something like this?
--

Hi Everyone.
I have possibly an easy question. Does anyone know of a simple consumer-grade Dobly Atmos decoder that operates kind of like a receiver but doesn’t have a power amp in it? As some of you know, I make spacial music and I'd reference mixes once they're distributed on Apple Music and tidal however all can find are expensive super-audiophile receivers and no-so-great/accurate sound bars. I can't seem to find any in between.

--
There are several choices for Atmos capable pre/pros, but they are more costly than the receivers. I have not come across any solution for less $$

Hi Everyone.

--
I believe we should be on the lookout for this for sure. I did a quick look off Google, and didn't see much (maybe a reconditioned AVR for about $600.)

The big gear companies and labels seem to be really supporting Atmos so far; this could be the big surround sound push we've all been waiting for, we just have to realize it and support it. Just look at some of the Quad Atmos core titles being released (albeit streaming only) like 3+3 etc. However, lower cost "quality" gear alternatives is a must IMO, in order for this to really take flight; $2-4,000+ AVR's and Sound bars aren't going to get us there.

I'm wondering if the Pandemic chip shortage may have something to do with the lack of lower cost consumer-grade gear; as the more expensive gear gobbles up any chips with the ability to decode Atmos. And I'm assuming here that Atmos does need specific chips in order to decode and not just firmware updates. And what are the Licensing fees in order for gear makers to support Dolby Atmos; is it financially feasible? If they can put it in a Sound bar, it seems they could get there already.

Hope this thread takes flight and something shows up soon, my eyes and ears are wide open!

Hi Everyone.

--
Yeah, they still refuse to release the decoder codec not tied to an expensive hardware AVR sale. Hopefully one of these years before they kill the format for good.

Shitbars of course ricochet the surround and height channels off your walls and ceiling from tiny little side and top aimed speakers. Effective for crude movie surround and sports broadcasts. Mutilating to surround music. (Unless your walls and ceiling are perfect audio reflectors. Which they are not.)

Some sort of USB interface with Atmos decoding and analog outputs is what I would want. I'd like to hear some Atmos but I have no desire add a modern receiver to my vintage amps. I don't see why something like that couldn't exist.
Because the powers that be don't want it to exist. I wonder if in addition to the licensing fee if Dolby has veto power over what kind of device Atmos can be installed in. Like, can they veto a $300 black box with USB in and analog out?

Some sort of USB interface with Atmos decoding and analog outputs is what I would want. I'd like to hear some Atmos but I have no desire add a modern receiver to my vintage amps. I don't see why something like that couldn't exist.
It does actually. Theater aimed audio interface products. Same deal though. You're paying for an interface and channels of DA converters to get at the software decoder codec. The creators are acting rather desperate at present.

I believe we should be on the lookout for this for sure. I did a quick look off Google, and didn't see much (maybe a reconditioned AVR for about $600.)

The big gear companies and labels seem to be really supporting Atmos so far; this could be the big surround sound push we've all been waiting for, we just have to realize it and support it. Just look at some of the Quad Atmos core titles being released (albeit streaming only) like 3+3 etc. However, lower cost "quality" gear alternatives is a must IMO, in order for this to really take flight; $2-4,000+ AVR's and Sound bars aren't going to get us there.

I'm wondering if the Pandemic chip shortage may have something to do with the lack of lower cost consumer-grade gear; as the more expensive gear gobbles up any chips with the ability to decode Atmos. And I'm assuming here that Atmos does need specific chips in order to decode and not just firmware updates. And what are the Licensing fees in order for gear makers to support Dolby Atmos; is it financially feasible? If they can put it in a Sound bar, it seems they could get there already.

Hope this thread takes flight and something shows up soon, my eyes and ears are wide open!
Can you share the link to that reconditioned AVR for about $600? At this point even that would be helpful.

even something that was HDMI in to analog out would be helpful.
You're not going to find anything like that with HDMI. HDMI is another offender with 'copy protection gone wild' schemes and best to avoid. "If they can't even play it then they can't copy it!"

I'm frustrated and turned off by all this too! It's just a few extra channels of PCM audio. I have plenty of channels of audio interface available and even extra speakers I could hang and connect. I fully refuse to buy more expensive DA stages or all-in-one AVR boxes to get at software.

You're not going to find anything like that with HDMI. HDMI is another offender with 'copy protection gone wild' schemes and best to avoid. "If they can't even play it then they can't copy it!"

I'm frustrated and turned off by all this too! It's just a few extra channels of PCM audio. I have plenty of channels of audio interface available and even extra speakers I could hang and connect. I fully refuse to buy more expensive DA stages or all-in-one AVR boxes to get at software.
All of those objects and only 0.1% can actually (sort of) listen. Apple isn't even doing true Binaural it does some DD+JOC thing which doesn't sound so good to me. I'm struggling to understand what is really happening or not happening.

All of those objects and only 0.1% can actually (sort of) listen. Apple isn't even doing true Binaural it does some DD+JOC thing which doesn't sound so good to me. I'm struggling to understand what is really happening or not happening.
A really cool extension to the surround format. Adding height and object channels.
Perhaps an increase in surround mixes in general. A few of them really accomplished.
And then a lot of gaslighting and selling shitbars using "Atmos" as a buzzword. With militant lock-down on selling the decoder codec at present.

In the end this will be liberated and even if it does die we will have a handful of really cool extended surround mixes and a niche format to play with amongst ourselves.

It is possible to download the Atmos decoder for the AVR OS. (Or it was a couple months ago anyway.) AV receivers have their own OS, FYI. So... someone with more up to speed coding chops than I have could in theory port this to MacOS or Linux and liberate the format.

It is possible to download the Atmos decoder for the AVR OS. (Or it was a couple months ago anyway.) AV receivers have their own OS, FYI. So... someone with more up to speed coding chops than I have could in theory port this to MacOS or Linux and liberate the format.
That would be an excellent step forward. I tried finding a link to information this with no success. If you have links, I'd love to look.

Thank you. I’m surprised 7.2 is marketed as “Atmos.” Is there one out there with ceiling speakers too by chance? 7.1.4 or more? 7.1.4 is what is considered the minimum for people making Atmos records.

i think it may present Atmos in a 5.1.2 configuration and the .2 channels are selectable either as Front Presence (Front Heights) or Surround Back?

Someone will crack it eventually. They already have for Sony's 360 Real Audio format.

Back