Simple Atmos Music Questions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DA-chart.png

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/dolby-atmos-sound/

Dolby Atmos® is an immersive audio format that can be delivered via multiple audio codecs including Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD (but NOT Dolby Digital). Blu-ray Discs deliver Dolby Atmos using Dolby TrueHD (with Dolby Digital Plus as an available alternative), and broadcast and streaming services deliver Dolby Atmos using Dolby Digital Plus. In order to maintain compatibility with millions of devices in consumer homes, Dolby Atmos in these codecs is implemented as a backwards-compatible extension. Dolby Atmos data is hidden within the bitstream and can be decoded by a Dolby Atmos-compatible A/V Receiver, soundbar or television. Non-Dolby Atmos capable devices will decode a 5.1-ch or 7.1-ch version from the Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD bitstreams.

Thanks for this clarification, Eric. (Hey @HomerJAU : now that the Real McCoy version of Atmos has entered the realm of streaming, would it be worth adding this sort of info to the Dolby Atmos FAQ?)

One more question whose answer you may or may not know:
  • When my Marantz NR1607 AVR plays Atmos music from a BDA or MP4 (the latter from a Windows laptop via HDMI) source, the front-panel readout displays the sound mode as "[Dolby logo] Atmos." If TIDAL over Fire TV Stick were working properly, then the AVR would detect an Atmos source coming in via the Fire Stick, play it back in Atmos, and also display the source as "[Dolby logo] Atmos," right? (I.e., it wouldn't display "Dolby Digital Plus" or something like that--or would it?)

• When my Marantz NR1607 AVR plays Atmos music from a BDA or MP4 (the latter from a Windows laptop via HDMI) source, the front-panel readout displays the sound mode as "[Dolby logo] Atmos." If TIDAL over Fire TV Stick were working properly, then the AVR would detect an Atmos source coming in via the Fire Stick, play it back in Atmos, and also display the source as "[Dolby logo] Atmos," right? (I.e., it wouldn't display "Dolby Digital Plus" or something like that--or would it?)
Yes you are right :) maybe it will display Atmos/D+ (onkyo does this to inform you that you stream lossy with DD+)

Total guess...but I would suspect you should see Dolby Atmos displayed.

Does a Windows 10 PC in exclusive mode output to an Atmos processor work?

Listening to the stereo tracks with Tidal master in exclusive mode compared to standard mode was definitely an upgrade. Curious if they are putting a limitation on this?

Nice chart!
I searched for an Atmos thread to put this little article into and found that there's 9 pages of Atmos related threads on here now- whoa.

Pretty basic knowledge for most here now probably, but it shows there's still a lot of confusion out there about how to have a set up to take advantage of Atmos.

https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...d-using-analog-link-between-bd-player-and-avr

Back