HiRez Poll Simple Minds - ONCE UPON A TIME [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Simple Minds - ONCE UPON A TIME

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this title (y) :phones (n)

Original 2005 DVDA-V scans:
R-5990975-1409374559-6990.jpeg.jpg

R-5990975-1409374561-7289.jpeg.jpg

2015 DVD-AV box set scans:
R-7820507-1449686141-9222.jpeg.jpg

R-7820507-1449686151-7322.jpeg.jpg

R-7820507-1449686238-5976.jpeg.jpg

R-7820507-1449686183-4631.jpeg.jpg

R-7820507-1449686194-1606.jpeg.jpg

2015 Blu-Ray Audio scans:
R-9807175-1486638656-8943.jpeg.jpg

R-9807175-1486638662-2187.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted on this early and it still deserves a 9. Why not a 10? I don't know. A must have. I have not heard 'New Gold Dream' but i can assure you that there are no wrap arounds here. Fully discreet and pumping. "Alive and Kicking" is grouse.:D

Only one comment on this disc? Better fix that...

This is not one of the discs that I play that often... Mainly because I find the mix & sonics on it has a very "80s" sound.... I don't like the way the guitars and drums sound.

Having said that.. I do quite like Sanctify Yourself...

An 8 from me. Mix:9, Fidelity:10, Content:6. I didn't know Simple Minds before buying this and they've never found a place in my heart. I've played it enough that I don't think they ever will; though I'll keep it for my yearly rotation.

Well, well, well. Another DVD-A I wasn't aware of until I stumbled on the thread here! Just fired up the album on grooveshark (just like sukothai, I could never fully warm up to the Simple Minds before), and I actually really like what I hear. Yes, 80s production, but not as synthetic as some of their other stuff I've heard. This actually sounds rich and strong, with just enough real instruments (esp. guitars) to balance out the keys and synths.

Wish they'd included "Don't you forget about me" as a bonus track on the DVD-A.

I find it exciting that they actually remixed and extended the songs for the DVD-A (like Bon Jovi did for the "Slippery when wet" DualDisc), so I'm snatching this disc up. Shame it's expensive as all hell these days. Found one for 50 Euros on amazon.de (sorry guys it's gone now^^) and looking forward to it.

Will post a review once I get my hands on the disc (sent it to a friend in Germany, will pick it up the next time I visit, around xmas probably...).

I bought only a couple of the Simple Minds albums in the eighties, but always liked their aggressive and sparkly pop sound. I have no problem with eighties style production and arrangements, which is not as monolithic as many imply (considerable stylistic differences and recording techniques between eighties bands.) Very active surround on this one, and it boasts a slew of danceable rock tunes.

A '9' for both mix and music.

I'm not sure if there will be a separate poll for this one on blu ray as I believe it's the same mix that appears on the DVD-A...just listened to it for the first time and I like what I hear:)..

Just got my BD copy this week- listened to it...sounds great..since I don't have the original dvdA to compare it with , I dunno if it's the same mix..but if Neil had something to do with it, I'm sure it sounds better... Neil is one of my heroes...(forever and ever..) :smokin

Just got my BD copy this week- listened to it...sounds great..since I don't have the original dvdA to compare it with , I dunno if it's the same mix..but if Neil had something to do with it, I'm sure it sounds better... Neil is one of my heroes...(forever and ever..) :smokin

afaik new DVD-A in box set by Opus, BD by the usual HFPA lot in Germany (the HFPA people have got to do something with their time after all, releases have ground to a virtual halt.. and I hear Neil's extremely busy with other projects - which could be extremely good news for us lot! :wave )

Woah, that's Hoffman like cult talk. Neil's been involved in at least two tricky releases in the last year or so.

Umm.. Hardly! This isn't the Neil Wilkes board.. ;) ..and besides Elliot Scheiner's my hero, to me he's 'my mate' and for you he's Marmite! I'm not getting accused of cultish behaviour everytime I bow down to the Temple of Scheiner on here! (Does that make us a pair of cults..!?) :D

..on a slightly more serious note, if you're talking about things like the PS3 Blu-ray compatibility stuff that is nothing to do with him/his company, Sony have admitted as much it's a firmware issue.

if you're talking about things like the PS3 Blu-ray compatibility stuff that is nothing to do with him/his company, Sony have admitted as much it's a firmware issue.

Nothing to do with the PS3 compatibility for the reasons you stated.

Probably referring to Wakeman's discs- my guess is that Neil gets what he gets from Universal and that's it...not his fault Universal gave him some shitty stuff...

Anyway, we are derailing the thread...

Oh.. those bloody discs.. Neil has done so many wonderful things over the years, I try to focus on those ;)

So.. does anybody here have the new box set and has tried out the new DVD-A?

I got a great eBay deal on this BD and a few others from a QQ lurker (I found out after the fact through eBay messages).

I am only 1 and 1/2 songs into it. Obviously too soon to vote, but not too soon to know this is a keeper.

I'm not sure if there will be a separate poll for this one on blu ray as I believe it's the same mix that appears on the DVD-A...just listened to it for the first time and I like what I hear:)..

Just gave the bluray disc a spin and it's a keeper. The DTS mix is just fantastic. Was going to vote and give this a 9 maybe even a 10 but I see this review post is for the DVD-A.

Just gave the bluray disc a spin and it's a keeper. The DTS mix is just fantastic. Was going to vote and give this a 9 maybe even a 10 but I see this review post is for the DVD-A.

The breadcrumbs trail references the blu-ray (Simple Minds - ONCE UPON A TIME [DVD-A/BDA]) so you are good to go here with your review if you meant DTS-HD MA.

Back