Simple Minds Street Fighting Years box set in the works

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Street Fighting Years is my favourite Simple Minds album so I am quite disappointed about the lack of 5.1 mix. To me, the album is up there as Stephen Lipson's best work as producer/engineer along with Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Liverpool album. Layers after layers of sound. One can simply imagine how amazing the mixes could have been. This is one big set I would have sprung for if a 5.1 mix had been included. Oh well... Penteo will have to do I suppose.

From an interview with Jim Kerr over at SDE today:

SDE: I remember when the ‘Sparkle in the Rain’ reissue came out. Steven Wilson created a great 5.1 surround mix, and given the kind of widescreen, cinematic nature of ‘Street Fighting Years’, was there ever any discussions about maybe doing a surround mix of the record?

JK:
Honestly, without putting the blame on anyone, it is our catalogue, but it’s not. If Universal [Music] want to invest in that stuff, they do, if they don’t, they don’t. I mean it’s theirs to do that stuff and sometimes they do it, as you say. What can we do? We can either sit and say, well, we want fuck all to do with this, this stuff. Or else we say, alright, if you’re going to do it, then let us get involved to whatever degree we can. But if they don’t see the logic in doing that just now, or have some vision of doing it at some point in the future, that’s up to them and they live with the consequences, I mean, we all do. But people either like it and want to buy it, or they don’t.

From an interview with Jim Kerr over at SDE today:

SDE: I remember when the ‘Sparkle in the Rain’ reissue came out. Steven Wilson created a great 5.1 surround mix, and given the kind of widescreen, cinematic nature of ‘Street Fighting Years’, was there ever any discussions about maybe doing a surround mix of the record?

JK:
Honestly, without putting the blame on anyone, it is our catalogue, but it’s not. If Universal [Music] want to invest in that stuff, they do, if they don’t, they don’t. I mean it’s theirs to do that stuff and sometimes they do it, as you say. What can we do? We can either sit and say, well, we want fuck all to do with this, this stuff. Or else we say, alright, if you’re going to do it, then let us get involved to whatever degree we can. But if they don’t see the logic in doing that just now, or have some vision of doing it at some point in the future, that’s up to them and they live with the consequences, I mean, we all do. But people either like it and want to buy it, or they don’t.
I was getting ready to just post the same thing exactly the way you did. Great minds think alike.
I found Jim Kerr's answer to the question probably the best answer I have ever heard as to why or why not anything gets released at all let alone a surround version. I'm still gonna buy it as it is my favorite.

4 CD's. It does not like anything has been remastered at least according to the liner notes.
CD 1 Street Fighting Years, has DR values of 8's, 9's and 10's. My original CD has DR values of 11's, 12's and 13's. You can definitely notice with the louder volume of the new disc.
The Disc 2, Edits, B Sides, and remixes, are OK.
Disc 3 & 4 Live Verona, Italy great music and great CD sound.
Box same size as the previous boxes, nice poster and book with good info.
Only for the die hard Simple Mind fan, but the live set is the star of the show with great stereo sound stage. The audience is recessed and does not distract from the main band audio.
Huge disappointment of course with the lack of 5.1, but that's the way it is.

4 CD's. It does not like anything has been remastered at least according to the liner notes.
CD 1 Street Fighting Years, has DR values of 8's, 9's and 10's. My original CD has DR values of 11's, 12's and 13's. You can definitely notice with the louder volume of the new disc.
The Disc 2, Edits, B Sides, and remixes, are OK.
Disc 3 & 4 Live Verona, Italy great music and great CD sound.
Box same size as the previous boxes, nice poster and book with good info.
Only for the die hard Simple Mind fan, but the live set is the star of the show with great stereo sound stage. The audience is recessed and does not distract from the main band audio.
Huge disappointment of course with the lack of 5.1, but that's the way it is.
I hope it sells well and promotes the release of more Simple Minds material. Such a great group !

I saw this at SHF today:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/simple-minds-direction-of-the-heart-2022.1148034/page-6
I met the boys today at the signing session in London and what a class act. They were really everything you could hope them to be.

My mate took his Street Fighting Years box and asked when would they do this one in surround. Charlie looked surprised and said “we did that one!”. I said “we need to hear it then!”. Charlie looked confused, as if he didn’t know it wasn’t included in the box. Then he and Jim exchanged a few looks and Charlie grinned and said “oopsie “.
So there you go. SFY Surround exists and it’s just waiting to see the light of day. I adore the album btw. Solid 8/10, maybe 9/10.

I saw this at SHF today:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/simple-minds-direction-of-the-heart-2022.1148034/page-6
I met the boys today at the signing session in London and what a class act. They were really everything you could hope them to be.

My mate took his Street Fighting Years box and asked when would they do this one in surround. Charlie looked surprised and said “we did that one!”. I said “we need to hear it then!”. Charlie looked confused, as if he didn’t know it wasn’t included in the box. Then he and Jim exchanged a few looks and Charlie grinned and said “oopsie “.
So there you go. SFY Surround exists and it’s just waiting to see the light of day. I adore the album btw. Solid 8/10, maybe 9/10.

Kudos for your friend to ask the guys about the surround mix, at least we know it exists even if it seems unlikely to see the light of day at this point. Sad how many surround mixes are "sitting in the vault."

Kudos for your friend to ask the guys about the surround mix, at least we know it exists even if it seems unlikely to see the light of day at this point. Sad how many surround mixes are "sitting in the vault."

Sorry, not to misguide anyone,. I should have been more clear, I read this at SHF and a member their by name of NunoBento(post 147) of the thread I was referring to made the comments of him and a friend meeting Charlie and Jim Kerr and asking question about a surround done of "Street Fighting Year's" and answer was YES.

I agree with you guys that this is so frustrating that these surround mixes have been done so that means someone even paid to have the mix done and as you said "sitting in the vault" which does no one any good.

I agree with you guys that this is so frustrating that these surround mixes have been done so that means someone even paid to have the mix done and as you said "sitting in the vault" which does no one any good.

I try not to think about all the quad mixes from the 70s also decaying slowly (or burned up in Universal's fire fiasco) and likely to never see the light of day...

Back