Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand that drought is adversely affecting navigation on the Mississippi River. Not good.
The US Army corps of engineers is having to build (using dredgings from further upstream) an underwater ledge in the Mississippi to stop salt water going too far upstream. Flow has dropped so low that a wedge of salt water is making its way upstream underwater, salt water being denser than fresh. It's at risk of entering inlets where municipal drinking water is taken from the river.

In Italy the river Po dried up completely this year the drought was so bad. Salt water has gone so far upstream it has now penetrated the soil and got into the fields, affecting crops. They say it will take years for rain to flush all the salt back out, and that is assuming rainfall returns to normal patterns.

LOL! I guess no one noticed the McDonald's coffee cup sitting atop some soybean plants in the background. I used that to mark my spot in the plot while I took the picture. Gotta do what you gotta do...
Gene, what could be a more iconic representation of Americana than the Golden Arches?

R.ec4affe2f96a822d979c656dbcbfb6e8

I've been there a zillion times as it's super dramatic where the lanscape changes from typical farm ground just east of Harrisburg on route 13 to the Shawnee and within, Garden of the Gods. I used to run a satellite (drove from central IL nearly every 2 weeks) soybean breeding program out of Harrisburg from 1990-2008 or so. I'd often get rained out from the fields, so I'd go a few miles south into the Shawnee and explore.
I figured you've been! And I always wondered what people do in Harrisburg, IL. Seems a bit quiet there.

I figured you've been! And I always wondered what people do in Harrisburg, IL. Seems a bit quiet there.
Yes it is. When I was much, much younger, I would stay north of Harrisburg about 4 miles in a very small town called Muddy. They had a hotel there with a bar...and they'd have live music on the weekends. It would get absolutely nuts in there....the stuff I saw....

Yes it is. When I was much, much younger, I would stay north of Harrisburg about 4 miles in a very small town called Muddy. They had a hotel there with a bar...and they'd have live music on the weekends. It would get absolutely nuts in there....the stuff I saw....

what goes on in Muddy stays in Muddy

About a half century ago when I was getting pretty serious about photography, I found an informal way to tie proper film exposure into mood/activity levels.

The standard was Plus X Pan film, ISO 125 at 1/125 second. F 11 or F16, grab your sunglasses & get up & get moving. F8 was pretty good too it made driving easy on the eyes. F 5.6 anything was strictly optional & F 2.8 don't even bother leaving the house.

Today it's 50 deg, drizzily with heavier rain later on. Completely overcast sky, a definite 2.8 day. Maybe 1.4. I think the most ambitious I get is enjoy some home made chili & re-watch for the millionth time one of my fave guilty pleasure, Labyrinth.

Back