Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking along those lines too. Just haven't found drawers that will hold CDs and not have wasted space because of the depth of the drawers. Of course I haven't been looking too hard either...
I’m sizing the drawers for DVDs, which does involve a bit of DIY. I have no doubt that the CDs and DVD-As are going to have some side gaps, which might be used for some of those uniquely-packaged collections like Harry Chapin’s Story of a Life.

I’m sizing the drawers for DVDs, which does involve a bit of DIY. I have no doubt that the CDs and DVD-As are going to have some side gaps, which might be used for some of those uniquely-packaged collections like Harry Chapin’s Story of a Life.
Yep I've got a few of those odd-ball sized CD cases too, like slightly oversized cardboard sleeves, won't fit in my CD shelves I had made back in '87, or rather cut at a local wood shop. I sanded them and glued them together, and oiled the walnut, high school shop class style. Don't have access to the proper equipment to do cuts like that.

Don't have access to the proper equipment to do cuts like that.
I understand. I started woodworking when I retired, so I have the equipment to make the various cuts necessary. My drawers will be a tight three DVDs/Blu-rays and a loose four CDs/DVD-As. Loose enough for the occasional oddball package.

I sort of majored in wood shop in high school, actually starting in 9th grade. 4 years of it. ☺
Built all sorts of goodies. Got spoiled having all that equipment to use.

Dadoes and Rabbets and Dovetails, Oh My!

:D

Doug
The high school I went to unfortunately didn't offer any electronics courses so I took wood shop, and study hall. I'd get a library pass from study hall and I'd study all right.. Audio, Hi Fi/Stereo Review later to become Stereo Review, High Fidelity, Radio-Electronics. Popular Electronics, Electronics Illustrated, Popular Science... They had a nice library of magazines!

Here's a video I DO own. Took this last October as the monarch butterflies were passing through on their migration south, down at the park a couple of blocks from my house.

Was having to brush them away there were so many on the purple mistflowers.

I changed video to another one taken same day. Looking at it, much better. I need to practice not moving around so quickly because of the way it gets blurred from the lag. Camera was set at the lowest video resolution for smallest file size so I can email to a friend.

(hmm... no audio...on 2nd upload. Is that normal?)
I replaced the first video with one I think is better and a little longer. I'm not moving around quite as much . Taken same day Oct 2 2021. Replied to myself (?) to bump it up. 🦋 https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/attachments/bflygarden1-mov.79545/

The high school I went to unfortunately didn't offer any electronics courses so I took wood shop, and study hall. I'd get a library pass from study hall and I'd study all right.. Audio, Hi Fi/Stereo Review later to become Stereo Review, High Fidelity, Radio-Electronics. Popular Electronics, Electronics Illustrated, Popular Science... They had a nice library of magazines!

We had wood shop in 7th grade, metal and electrical shop in 8th grade, and then had to take a language class in 9th grade of which I took German, the first of four years. I began pre-med because I had wanted to be a doctor since I was about 3 but found that was not for me and quit after a couple of semesters. The biology, anatomy was fascinating but I wasn't committed.

So, electronics it became and pretty much my whole career. Retired now.

Doug

So you became a Dr. of electronics!

I also took Band from 7th to 12th. Played trumpet, or cornet We had the basics plus 2 electives I think it was.
Took 3 years of piano lessons too on the side. So I got a mix of music and self taught electronics. Got my 1st phone FCC license at 19 so I could work at a radio station by myself if required. Which I did, midnight to 6 am graveyard shift. Tube theory on the tests then and a lot of that stuff was still vacuum tube.

As I look at my out of control collection, wondering what suggestions you all might have for CD storage. I have two solid walnut shelves I had made back in the late '80s when this "problem" first started to become apparent. I have those two, plus a large media cabinet all full. Now I am reduced to using these cardboard boxes that wild bird suet comes in! Perfect fit. Originally to be temporary but I keep adding mopre CDs and not coming up with any efficient ideas. I keep running out of space. Same thing with a lot of records too. Too many records, not enough space.

Definitely open to any low cost space efficient suggestions!

View attachment 79420
I’ve learned to live with not knowing what day it is but it’s rather stressful not knowing where something I want to listen can be found.

I had a quarter of woodshop in the 7th grade. My high school had a course called “Electronics” but it was a shop class and the teacher really wanted to teach auto shop. And, at the time, I was probably more interested in ham radio than in hi-fi. Let’s just say Paul Simon’s first line of “Kodachrome” was right. Totally unprepared for college.

My dad was an electronics engineer, so that helped some, although his work-life balance was badly out of whack during those years, so I didn’t get to learn much tech from him. I did learn that the magic of electronics could be mastered, even if it took me an extra decade to do so.

Every home I owned, I modified, so carpentry was a skill I developed over the hears, and have been using extensively in our latest home. Fortunately, I have a decent sized garage and a bonus room so I have a place to work and a place to work on. I won’t be done until I’m dead. 😏

I’ve learned to live with not knowing what day it is but it’s rather stressful not knowing where something I want to listen can be found.
There’s an oldies station in town that plays the tag line: “You can’t remember why you walked into the room, but you know the words to the next song.” Oooh, yeah.

Last edited:
My dad was an electronics engineer, so that helped some, although his work-life balance was badly out of whack during those years, so I didn’t get to learn much tech from him. I did learn that the magic of electronics could be mastered, even if it took me an extra decade to do so.

My dad was pretty disappointed in me because he expected me to go to college and get a degree. He had a mechanical engineering degree from A&M and a DDS degree from Baylor. But he was pretty hands-on too. If the old Zenith TV crapped out he'd pull out the chassis and work on it, swap tubes on the coffee table. He'd do all the maintenance he could himself on his cars. Which taught me how to work on cars.

I won’t be done until I’m dead. 😏
Yep!

I had a quarter of woodshop in the 7th grade. My high school had a course called “Electronics” but it was a shop class and the teacher really wanted to teach auto shop. And, at the time, I was probably more interested in ham radio than in hi-fi. Let’s just say Paul Simon’s first line of “Kodachrome” was right. Totally unprepared for college.

Every home I owned, I modified, so carpentry was a skill I developed over the hears, and have been using extensively in our latest home. Fortunately, I have a decent sized garage and a bonus room so I have a place to work and a place to work on. I won’t be done until I’m dead. 😏

Sounds like me.

I had woodshop in 7th grade, mechanical drawing in 8th through 10th, electronics and chemistry in 11th and physics, metalwork, and advanced math in 12th. Also in 12th grade I was in a computer club and learned to write FORTRAN code.

When I graduated from high school, I had all the math I really needed to master quadraphonics. Shortly after graduation, I encoded a sound effect tape for the Dynaco diamond for a stage play.

Then I went to college, majoring in Computer Science. I took the entire Math requirement, including calculus and applied linear algebra. Applied linear algebra teaches the mathematical matrix, which is the basis for the quadraphonic matrix. It also taught matrix math in computing.

I built a media shelf that is 5 feet tall and 12 feet wide that is mounted on a wall. I thought that would be plenty. It is full and overflowing (and I have separate shelving for records.).

My house is full of inventions and electronic devices.

Last edited:
Here's a video I DO own. Took this last October as the monarch butterflies were passing through on their migration south, down at the park a couple of blocks from my house.
Monarchs seem to have disappeared from southern Idaho for the past several years. I know their numbers are plummeting. We’re planting milkweed to attract them, but so far we haven’t seen any. Nice to see some, even if not in person.

Until my dad came out to have lunch one day I guess he was still disappointed, but that subsided when I bought a new car and my house in '78. He was a little awed at my place of employment at that time.

That FCC First Class Radiotelephone license I had plus all that studying I did of the audio and electronics magazines in the high school library impressed the service manager. I could talk that stuff, and he hired me on the spot when they were opening the Texas branch in '77. Not just a repair tech, but the QC department repair tech. Got to work on all the new stuff that failed QC.

The work bench I spent 4 years at... at good ol' "Pie in ear".

Old Polaroid pic.
pioneerbench1977-L.jpg

Monarchs seem to have disappeared from southern Idaho for the past several years. I know their numbers are plummeting. We’re planting milkweed to attract them, but so far we haven’t seen any. Nice to see some, even if not in person.
I think they all moved to Texas! Have seen a few here already but the big migration south won't start until Sept.

I even set up a cage for monarchs last year.

monarch1st-1.jpg

I saw all those on the purple mist flowers last year so I got some cuttings and started those flowers in my front garden. They've really taken off. That plus butterfly milkweed should bring'em in. Have multiple plants for hummingbirds too. Turk's caps, red, blue, black-blue salvias. The hummers are all up in the NE now breeding and should make a pass through here in August and September heading south for the winter.

Big problem with the butterfly milkweed is it's tropical and will keep blooming and growing until a freeze. The monarchs wil lay eggs and I'll have caterpillars out there when it's starting to get cold or worse freeze. So I plan to cut all that down by October.

Last edited:
Well it was broadcast over the air in 1975. When does the copyright run out?
The answer is surprisingly complicated. The copyright in the musical compositions (aka the songs) is the same as the album, so 95 years from publication in the USA, 70 from release in the EU and most other places.
The actual audio on the other hand...it depends. If the radio station was just doing a live feed the audio doesn't get federal copyright protection if it's of that vintage. If a tape aircheck was being made simultaneously by the station (which they probably were) then it's 95 years from publication. Even if federal law doesn't apply, state "anti-bootlegging" laws may.
Now, didn't you want to know all that?

Back