Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, probably within a few days of harvest. When I travel to the mid-south, I meet with clients (seed companies) to discuss soybeans!
Thanks for the come back! Only on QQ can I learn new things from ATMOS to cotton fields. I'm thinkin' you're not really an organic/non-GMO kinda guy?

When I got my first real job as a commercial photographer one of the first accts the studio threw at me was the Rudy Patrick seed company. I will remember forever that the big seed bags were were labeled as "Royal quality". And the stylized Royal script was pretty much identical to what is used for the KC Royals MLB. I was out in the field frequently to shoot whatever they wanted. Soybeans was emerging as a cash crop in the 80's so I did a bunch of pics about that.

Another acct I was given (because nobdy else wanted it) was Thompson Hayward Chemical Co. Bug killer, fungicide, rodentcide, etc.I learned something very quickly working with these companies: anyone with minimal tech ability can make a good sellable picture of an attractive female model or a Ferrari. Because it is attractive interesting subject content. Now to take a bag 'o seeds or a can of bug killer & make it look exciting, really that is something!

I'm thinkin' you're not really an organic/non-GMO kinda guy?
Well, I have nothing but respect for those who need/want organic. But, my company is breeding soybeans to make the most profit. As a result, that would be GMO. Obviously, they are fine, and the world is dominated by GMO. From veggies to ornamental plants to grains for human consumption. It is, what it is. Mostly, GMO has been implemented to address weed control, higher yield genes and disease tolerances. :)

Mostly, GMO has been implemented to address...higher yield genes and disease tolerances.
Gee, I wish I was a GMO...

51085f8166707148c4a54e4eec65f38d.jpg

Just ordered this TV for Mrs GOS. It's for her room. (LMAO, we each have our TV rooms) Currently, she has a 12 year old Samsung LED, obviously not a smart TV. 46"
Replacing with this! Great deal at Best Buy!

View attachment 81191

I just did something similar a few weeks ago. Also a 55 incher, also from Best Buy. Our previous "family TV" was a 10 year old 46" Phillips. Conventional LCD but def one of the better ones from back then. My wife wanted something bigger that didn't have a frame around it and thinner. Cuz thin is important when placing on a cabinet 18" deep....

Based largely on info gleaned from this thread started by @Clint Eastwood I was shopping for a OLED set. Checking them out in person the OLED set was noticeably better with a good quality video but I went with an QLED set instead. Because the avg brightness level was noticeably better than the O set. Immediatly to the left of where the TV sits is your typical sliding glass door. The outdoor sun is the competing light source for the TV. Now in a darker room the OLED would be preferred. But this is casual viewing & my wife isn't going to pull the drapes to watch Jeopardy. So when this set is tweaked properly it is brighter withg better black levels than our old set. Upscaling to 4K doesn't seem to make much difference with plain 'ol cable TV. This is what we purchased:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6452372.p?skuId=6452372
Also the cheapest Sony OLED was about 2x more spensive than this. This is the 1st smart TV weve had and the Samsung Smart Things app on my phone works great on it. Even controls the cable box. In the house it connects by Bluetooth. So I was very surprised when I was miles away in a parking lot the app showed me the TV was on. Hmmm... pause, mute, unmute, change ch. I had no idea if it was working or not but it seemed it did. Returning home my wife said the new TV was broken. I suggested demon possessed . Too much power!!

Last edited:
We often see woodpeckers in our back yard....as long as I have a suet for them. Looks like your picture.
There were three pileated woodpeckers in the yard yesterday morning. Best pic I could get as they don’t let you get close. Awesome birds! Third bird is on back of the post.

Attachments

• 2C39B7BB-9C3E-4836-AB81-BB6EF959D93E.jpeg
    2C39B7BB-9C3E-4836-AB81-BB6EF959D93E.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 0

First Images from the James Webb Space Telescope​

just in today

https://www.nasa.gov/webbfirstimages
Hate to throw cold water on it, but seems to me for 10 billion dollars they would have designed it to NOT have the distortion of diffraction starburst patterns. That's what I notice the most about these pictures so far.

webbdiffraction.jpg

Last edited:
Don't they still have some fine tuning and adjusting to perform to optimize the performance?
I'm sure they do but the diffraction is the nature of the design from info I've read. If they get rid of the diffraction spikes it won't gather quite as much light. Time will tell.

Yes the continual cost overruns for the JWST is mind blowing, but the science is fascinating.

Watched this new PBS Nova show last night. That Deep Field image is about the size of a grain of sand held at arms length in the sky, and goes back in time billions of years.

It's done, but just hope space debris doesn't take it out too soon (no atmosphere to protect it), because they can't send people up to fix it if it goes awry. So, my thoughts went to, what the hell business do we have sending people to Mars (114+ million miles), if we can't even send a repair crew a measly one million miles out?

Yes the continual cost overruns for the JWST is mind blowing, but the science is fascinating.

Watched this new PBS Nova show last night. That Deep Field image is about the size of a grain of sand held at arms length in the sky, and goes back in time billions of years.

It's done, but just hope space debris doesn't take it out too soon (no atmosphere to protect it), because they can't send people up to fix it if it goes awry. So, my thoughts went to, what the hell business do we have sending people to Mars (114+ million miles), if we can't even send a repair crew a measly one million miles out?

I am sure it was very expensive, but compared to a manned mission, and assuming it doesn't get taken out by a speck of rock and lasts 20 years, it's probably very cost effective. I understand the concept of light years and looking back in time, but I just can't get my head around 10 billion years in the past. Might as well be talking about infinity.

There were three pileated woodpeckers in the yard yesterday morning. Best pic I could get as they don’t let you get close. Awesome birds! Third bird is on back of the post.
We have a pair of pileated woodpeckers here since/before we moved here in the late 70's. We always have blackjack oaks dying so it keeps the pileated's happy with "fresh" bugs. The male is very noisy and I often tell him life's a beach but we'll get by!
If they have any offspring, I've never seen them, just "our" two guys.

Back