Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This random piece by Stacey Rozich:
SurroundSoundCloserthanitAppears-4e0e5be150e918a581e267c37260d935.jpg

It's called Surround Sound (Closer Than It Appears), 2022

Something I've been wondering about, do the folks here on this site that are Quadra... affecianados as far as LPs are concerned, do they rely on 70's era equipment, accessories and LPs to enjoy their Quadra... sound, or are there companies that provide new and updated components to play Quadra... LPs?

View attachment 79636
I have a mixture of old and new technologies, as do many here. My LP collection numbers around 1200, with around 100 being quads. I haven’t taken inventory in several years, but that seems about right. I have decoders and processors from the 70s that require a bit of work to keep running, but I’m enough of a techy geek that I enjoy that part of the hobby, too.

It was in a Sound World store in Rochester, MN where I first heard quad. They just had a kind of framework set up with 4 smallish speakers mounted in each inside corner at the top and you entered the framework and sat at a kind of console from which you could choose different quad sources.

That's all it took.

Doug

Last edited:
My first 4-channel experience:

I first made a Dynaco diamond in my stereo area in August 1970 using a friend's Electrophonic compact, the 4 identical speakers he had (connected by RCA-plug cables), and this little circuit:

uq-dd-1.gif

Since no encoded records existed yet, I played stereo records on it and listened for sounds in the back speaker.

The Popular Science Test Record has tracks to test speaker phase. The normal track came out the front speaker. The out-of-phase track came out the back speaker.

The following records had good surround effects:
- The Beatles - Let it Be - You are immersed in the reverb on some tracks.
- Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - One track has a percussion effect that circles the audience.
- Melanie - Candles in the Rain - The title song has that "you are there" feeling with the room acoustics.
- Steppenwolf Live - also has that "you are there" effect. You feel you are in the audience.
- Paul Revere and the Raiders - Revolution - Echo and reverb sounds in back.
- Simon and Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme - Some surround on some tracks.

Some classical albums had instruments coming from all directions, others had concert hall realism in the sides and back.

One classical album was recorded out of phase. The primary music came from the back speaker and the sides, with nothing from the front.

I actually encoded several Dynaco diamond tracks in 1970 before I had any encoded records in 1971.

The Popular Science Test Record has tracks to test speaker phase. The normal track came out the front speaker. The out-of-phase track came out the back speaker.
Brings back memories playing the in-phase and out of phase tests on the old Shure "An Audio Obstacle Course" trackability test records.

shuretestlabel1.jpg

Towards the end of my garden I have had 3 wild orchids for quite a few years (I got the top soil years ago from a friend's farm). This year when I went hunting through the grass before cutting I found loads more, I now have 28! Some only a single leaf, others probably from last year or so more leaves. Where ever there is a cane there are wild orchids! They seem to be Common Orchids, Marsh Orchids and a hybrid between them.
20220606_163223.jpg

20220606_163238.jpg
20220606_163254.jpg
20220606_163321.jpg
20220606_163401.jpg

I see "Shop with us on Amazon" and "Shop with us on eBay" at the top of pages.

Question: Does QQ collect a fee if one clicks through those links and buys something on either one?

I see "Shop with us on Amazon" and "Shop with us on eBay" at the top of pages.

Question: Does QQ collect a fee if one clicks through those links and buys something on either one?
Dunno exactly. Ask our patron saint Angie aka @QuadSound . This site without an ad block or supporting membership (I recommend the latter) is just a hideous minefield of ad bombs.

Last edited:
It's Pollinator Week! I've got my butterfly, hummingbird and bee gardens ready. Anyone else?

https://journeynorth.org/pollinator...emails&utm_term=Share your pollinator habitat

Purple mist flowers, blue salvia, native butterfly milkweed and Turk's caps shown. Have red salvias, black and blue salvias, Cone flowers and other desirable flowering plants awaiting the return of the hummingbirds and monarchs.
View attachment 80483
IN SPAIN IT IS FORBIDDEN TO KILL BEES!

It's Pollinator Week! I've got my butterfly, hummingbird and bee gardens ready. Anyone else?

https://journeynorth.org/pollinator...emails&utm_term=Share your pollinator habitat

Purple mist flowers, blue salvia, native butterfly milkweed and Turk's caps shown. Have red salvias, black and blue salvias, Cone flowers and other desirable flowering plants awaiting the return of the hummingbirds and monarchs.
View attachment 80483
I remember as a child being taken to London Zoo and seeing Hummingbirds hovering around, do post any photos you get.

View attachment 80483
Even though Summer starts tomorrow, here in deep South Texas, summer started two months ago and we have another four months to go. These are my Spring garden February through April. Summer gardens here are mainly green with few flowers.

Attachments

• 2E68822A-5270-4698-BB0C-29ABAF693239.jpeg
    2E68822A-5270-4698-BB0C-29ABAF693239.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 9769721F-760C-4CD0-8714-0A76A5DABAC7.jpeg
    9769721F-760C-4CD0-8714-0A76A5DABAC7.jpeg
    366 KB · Views: 16
  • B0208AA5-6467-4E28-8CAB-F404F993F2C8.jpeg
    B0208AA5-6467-4E28-8CAB-F404F993F2C8.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 17
I remember as a child being taken to London Zoo and seeing Hummingbirds hovering around, do post any photos you get.
Here's a couple of tease videos of what's to come, first from last August during a rain event and the other a year before in Aug '20 feeding on my black&blue and red salvias out in the back yard. I have LOTS of still pics too. Very photogenic little birds!

(Just noticed I get audio on the MP4 and no audio on the .MOV . Please excuse the background noise!)

Attachments

• hummer-rain3.MOV
    9.3 MB
  • hummerinsalvia.mp4
    8.9 MB
Last edited:
Back