Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They seem to keep doing it.
  • Self-driving cars stop when they can't figure out a situation. One stopped right in front of a semi moving at highway speed.
  • A self-driving car tried to "keep right" on a diverging diamond interchange.
  • A self-driving car killed a woman walking her bike across the street.
  • A self-driving car crashed into a mirror-reflective semitrailer, thinking it was the sky.
  • A self-driving car obeyed the reflection of a cross-street traffic light in a bus window.
  • A self-driving car didn't know what to do to avoid hitting a car that turned left in front of it. It hit it, then turned over.
  • A self-driving car dodged into the next lane to avoid an obstacle in the road and was struck by a bus it veered into the path of.
  • A self-driving car could fail in a way that keeps it driving with the controls set as they were when a nearby lightning strike occurs.
  • Some self-driving cars choose the smallest object to hit when a crash is unavoidable. That smallest object could be a pedestrian - or a child among widely scattered pedestrians.
  • A self-driving car drove into a glass window thinking the reflection in it was the road.
  • A self-driving car entered a cycle trail.
  • A self-driving car disobeyed a ONE WAY sign and turned the wrong way.
  • A self-driving car went the wrong way on a one-way street because an illegally parked truck hid the ONE WAY sign.
  • A self-driving car could not tell which part of the desert was the road. Tire tracks were not interpreted as the road.
  • self-driving car went off the road in snow.
  • A self-driving car was confused by multiple markings on the road left by construction activities and followed the wrong ones.
  • A self-driving car was confused by the lack of markings showing the edge of the road and entered a parking area at speed. The parking area had continuous paved access to the road along the entire property frontage. The car could not see the color difference.
  • Someone made an image that so confuses a self-driving car that it will crash while trying to figure out what it is seeing in the image.
But the question is, do they do these things more or less often than the cars with humans at the wheel? They're not there yet, but I do think self driving cars have the potential to be better drivers as they won't ever be driving drunk, sleepy or distracted which is when people make those mistakes.

K

But the question is, do they do these things more or less often than the cars with humans at the wheel? They're not there yet, but I do think self driving cars have the potential to be better drivers as they won't ever be driving drunk, sleepy or distracted which is when people make those mistakes.

K
I think the bigger challenge is for them to be able to figure out how to navigate around humans, most of which don't follow the rules to the letter. I've always surmised that self-driving cars will be at a disadvantage. They are bound to follow the rules and expect others to do the same. From what I see, people that follow the rules are "in the way" on most roads.

I ****ed myself before I got there!

So why are toilets called 'the restroom' in the US?
The term restroom came from the fact that in early 1900s up-scale restaurants, theatres and performing facilities would often have comfortable chairs or sofas located within or in a room directly adjacent to the actual toilet and sink facilities.

K
  • We may finally get a blood-alcohol interlock mandated for new vehicles, could have been done years ago.
  • Current facial recognition monitors the driver's eyes to make sure they are not off the road ahead for more that a couple of seconds.
  • Back-up cameras have saved uncounted millions in injuries & property damage.
  • Lane sensors for steering assist & look-ahead sensors for braking.
  • The cops should confiscate the phone of drivers in accidents as potential evidence of distracted driving.

that was alot of rain. the streets of our subdivision (in Daytona Beach FL) became waterways, each block an isolated island, unless you drove a truck. 4 days to get our roads back to normal, now they can get to fixing the power. I have a new respect for "tropical" level storms. All in all pretty lucky compared to other sections of Florida.

that was alot of rain. the streets of our subdivision (in Daytona Beach FL) became waterways, each block an isolated island, unless you drove a truck. 4 days to get our roads back to normal, now they can get to fixing the power. I have a new respect for "tropical" level storms. All in all pretty lucky compared to other sections of Florida.
Glad your ok we dodged the bullit here in Inverness.!

and why is it called the loo in the UK?
No idea! But I did a search and this popped up
1664828866568.png

Self-driving cars will NEVER become the norm. Hey, let's make a list of unforeseen circumstances!

Doug
Never say never. 100 years ago it was thought to be impossible for a man to ever walk on the moon. A heart transplant was something Dr. Frankenstein might do.

K
In many of these cases, the self-crashing car crashes because it does not recognize what is really there. It identifies it as something else.

Maybe a listing of what the car thought it saw just before a crash would prove useful.

And if something that the car does not know exists is there, what would the car think it was. What would a self-driving car think if a helicopter (or a UFO) lands on the highway?

Also, what if a vehicle violates the concept of what that type of vehicle is supposed to look like? I see many cases where human drivers did not recognize a school bus. It even happened to me. I saw a vehicle with amber lights flashing three times on one side, then three times on the other side of the vehicle. I thought it was a trash truck. Then the lights turned red with the sane behavior. I still did not recognize it as a school bus because the law says "alternately flashing lights".

This bus does not have "alternately flashing lights" because some do-gooder put strobing lights in instead of regular bulbs to "get the driver's attention". It removed the driver's mind from thinking "school bus" because the "alternately flashing lights" were not recognizable.

I had another event where neither the human driver nor the self-driving car could possibly get it right. The law says to stop for a school bus whenever the lights are flashing and the stop arm is out.

I was on a four-lane highway approaching an intersection where the light was green. There were three semi trucks in the left turn lane waiting to turn. I drove on through the intersection. Only after I had entered the intersection could I see that traffic was stopped because a school bus had its lights flashing and the stop arm out. But I could not see it because the trucks blocked sight of it.

Last edited:
In many of these cases, the self-crashing car crashes because it does not recognize what is really there. It identifies it as something else.

Maybe a listing of what the car thought it saw just before a crash would prove useful.

And if something that the car does not know exists is there, what would the car think it was. What would a self-driving car think if a helicopter (or a UFO) lands on the highway?

Also, what if a vehicle violates the concept of what that type of vehicle is supposed to look like? I see many cases where human drivers did not recognize a school bus. It even happened to me. I saw a vehicle with amber lights flashing three times on one side, then three times of the vehicle. I thought it was a trash truck. Then the lights turned red with the sane behavior. I still did not recognize it as a school bus because the law says "alternately flashing lights".

This bus does not have "alternately flashing lights" because some do-gooder put strobing lights in instead of regular bulbs to "get the driver's attention". It removed the driver's mind from thinking "school bus" because the "alternately flashing lights" were not recognizable.

I had another event where neither the human driver nor the self-driving car could possibly get it right. The law says to stop for a school bus whenever the lights are flashing and the stop arm is out.

I was on a four-lane highway approaching an intersection where the light was green. There were three semi trucks in the left turn lane waiting to turn. I drove on through the intersection. Only after I had entered the intersection could I see that traffic was stopped because a school bus had its lights flashing and the stop arm out. But I could not see it because the trucks blocked sight of it.
Whether it is ancient record changers or self driving cars..
I'm pretty sure the world for you doesn't exist past 1977. Most of the rest of us have moved on to something better.

But the $64,000 question is.............do his speakers play Apple immersive audio?
If Elon buys Boston Dynamics, it's all over!

Well, once integrated with a Dolby Atmos Sound bar instead of that Cowboy Buckle.

And where's his Cowboy hat, isn't their corporate office in Texas now?

And they'll be square dancing the Do si do; but will the Sound bar be Steve Wilson Atmos approved :unsure:

Last edited:
Where did peaches come from? Which gene inside their fleshy core decided they would be fuzzy? I don't want to be eating a fruit's HAIR! They have weird-looking seeds too. Sometimes I regret eating peaches knowing that their characteristics are the exact opposite of what I want out of a fruit. It's already bad enough that I have a crippling addiction to eating drywall. I don't need more troubles in my life. The doctor says eating fiberglass is bad for me but I think he's lying. If fiberglass was bad for you, they wouldn't put it in people's homes. They wouldn't make it look like cotton candy either. I love cotton candy. Mmm...

I haven't had cotton candy in a couple years. :cry:

Back