Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was emptying the trunk of my car of my purchases when I found a box I didn't remember buying.

There was one line on the box, "SNOOdS 009". I thought "What are snoods?" "009?" "Spy snoods???" "Lowercase 'd'??"

Then I suddenly realized what it was.
The funny thing is that my vision usually turns the image so I can read it. This time it didn't because another box next to it read right side up.

image.jpg

I could play 8-tracks in 1967.
So you are making the argument that the 8-track is associated with the 60s more so than the 70's?
Well I am not sure how official any of these designations are but I think if you polled the average consumer (that was actually a consumer in the 1960s and 1970s), most would say the 1970's, but that's just my opinion. I'd also wagers that sales of 8-tracks in the 70s far outpaced sales in the 60s but, once again, just an opinion. Not important enough to me to actually research.

From Wikipedia:

1978 was the peak year for 8-track sales in the United States, with sales declining quite rapidly from then on.[21] Eight-track players became less common in homes and vehicles in the late 1970s. The compact cassette had arrived in 1963.[22]
I got my first car in 1971, a 1969 Camaro RS convertible. I immediately installed an 8 track deck & put in door speakers. I had 8 track through a couple of more cars, the last one being a '76 Lincoln Mercury Capri. So even tho the Lear 8 track stereo tape was introduced in mid-60's, I gotta admit I always associated that format with the 70's. Groovy.

So you are making the argument that the 8-track is associated with the 60s more so than the 70's?
Well I am not sure how official any of these designations are but I think if you polled the average consumer (that was actually a consumer in the 1960s and 1970s), most would say the 1970's, but that's just my opinion. I'd also wagers that sales of 8-tracks in the 70s far outpaced sales in the 60s but, once again, just an opinion. Not important enough to me to actually research.
Not necessarily saying that, just that my own experience with 8-tracks goes back before the 70s. It was a new format when I bought into it, not having yet learned my lesson about being an early adopter. ;0)

Not necessarily saying that, just that my own experience with 8-tracks goes back before the 70s. It was a new format when I bought into it, not having yet learned my lesson about being an early adopter. ;0)
The best part of 8-tracks was that on most player you could listen to two songs at once.
That's my main memory of 8-tracks, the bleed through of another track.
That, and the extra bridge on Animals' Pigs On The Wing 1 and 2.
Otherwise good-riddance to a clunky format. Definitely better in our nostalgic memories than it was in reality.

wow - just took a look at this. a realization that I am old and so are they. we will be seeing quite a few of our 'heros' our gifted artists that we love - passing in the next few years

View attachment 87896

Back during the student social unrest of the 60s, there was a catchphrase:
"Don't Trust Anyone Over 30"

I have a memory of seeing a similar list around 1970 in a music magazine with 53 years subtracted.
Using that slogan, tongue-in-cheek, to point out that our musical heroes were aging out of "My Generation."

I remember, age 16, thinking "gosh, Grace Slick is getting up there." :rolleyes: ☮️

I remember, age 16, thinking "gosh, Grace Slick is getting up there." :rolleyes: ☮️

When I was about that age, there was a PBS TV special with Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, et al. It was the first time I ever saw Grace Slick and my reaction was, "damn...she's got lovely eyes..."

When I was about that age, there was a PBS TV special with Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, et al. It was the first time I ever saw Grace Slick and my reaction was, "damn...she's got lovely eyes..."

To my surprise Grace Slick has more than a few years on Linda Ronstadt. I think a lot of us guys were in deep committed love to one or both back in the day. The only time I saw Grace & The Airplane live was when she was very pregnant. She looked like she felt miserable. Tiny amps on stage no mix board... maybe the worst live concert I ever attended. Still, like Linda, lovely eyes.

Back