• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Sly & the Family Stone Greatest Hits - 4.0 Multichannel SACD (October 2015)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

JerseyEd

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I bought mine from Bullmoose in September 2016, months after the error was found. My copy does not have the -3. I opened both the CD and HR rips in Audacity. Each time I expanded the view and moved the line over various points. To me it seems that everything lines up correctly. Is it possible that I have have a good non-3 copy, or is there something else I should look/listen for?

Franklin

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Only on the matrix.
What are the known matrices, good and bad? Thread search came up empty.
My mistake, it's on the catalogue number on the label: AFZ5 215-3, I'm not aware of any other editions that are correct. I imagine the matrix numbers are different, but I don't recall checking what the old one was. The quad mix is not affected on the bad copies: it's the mono mix: it's not equally balanced left and right. I can't recall if it's the SACD layer, CD layer or both.

hirez

My mistake, it's on the catalogue number on the label: AFZ5 215-3, I'm not aware of any other editions that are correct. I imagine the matrix numbers are different, but I don't recall checking what the old one was. The quad mix is not affected on the bad copies: it's the mono mix: it's not equally balanced left and right. I can't recall if it's the SACD layer, CD layer or both.
Not certain which version I have but since the quad is great I haven't bothered listening to the other layers. Thanks for confirming that I don't need to be concerned!

Audiowannabee

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I see what you did there. ;)

Different strokes...
I see what you did there. ;)

Different strokes...

Im so glad i found both this site n the other one...shf...my wallet has become very empty but im Just so happy to be listening ti this older music in quad/surround. Its great and ive learned so much from both forums...love the music n starting to make some online friends...so yeah thanks for being here guys

Monkish

Can any Sly experts shed some light on a couple of differences between the Quad and mono versions on this SACD?

1) Dance To The Music — the Quad version is missing the first vocal breakdown (at around 15 seconds in). I’ve never heard the song without that first breakdown; what’s the origin of this edit? A 45 release of some sort? (The mono version has the first breakdown intact.) It just feels off/wrong to me — even if it was edited in rather than being recorded that way, the first breakdown is such a cool foreshadowing of things to come.

2) You Can Make It If You Try — the Quad version is a half-step lower in pitch than the album version I’m used to hearing. Basically, the Quad version is in F major, while the original album version is in F-sharp major. (The mono version is in the “right” key as well.) To clarify, they’re the same takes — the Quad version just runs slower, and to me, it really feels draggy as a result.