Sly & the Family Stone Greatest Hits - 4.0 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD (October 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Hoffman said in a post about this upcoming release that he's toying with the idea of using the Mono mixes on one layer (instead of the Stereo and fake Stereo) and the Quad on another. So I take it that we're getting the Quad for this baby and perhaps the superior sounding Mono mixes as well. I'm pretty excited about this one already.

Steve Hoffman said in a post about this upcoming release that he's toying with the idea of using the Mono mixes on one layer (instead of the Stereo and fake Stereo) and the Quad on another. So I take it that we're getting the Quad for this baby and perhaps the superior sounding Mono mixes as well. I'm pretty excited about this one already.
I'm really happy to hear that SH is involved. After the mastering job he did on Best of Doors, Sly should sound excellent.

The other cool thing about this is that he is getting into surround. As I recall, he didn't have the time of day for surround not that long ago.

There is good reason to be excited. One of the very best Quads in both music & mix.

I have it preordered through Amazon.

I am familar with and know all the hits but have never owned any Sly albums. I was not aware this is one of the best quad's out there so guess this will be my first Sly album to add to collection.
Linda, if you are excited about this and you have a vast collection of stuff, then this should sound really good in deed as Audio Fidelity have done a great job of the quad releases so far.

peter

I'm really happy to hear that SH is involved. After the mastering job he did on Best of Doors, Sly should sound excellent.

The other cool thing about this is that he is getting into surround. As I recall, he didn't have the time of day for surround not that long ago.

I lurked @the SHF for a wee while before I signed up (mainly to get a flavour of the place before getting in the scrum..!) and noticed SH talking favourably about quite a few Quad mixes there over the years.. I remember he spoke of the Paul Simon/There Goes Rhymin' Simon Quad mix (which sadly looks like we won't get a Surround SACD reissue of now unless the artist has a major change of heart wrt surround mixes of his music) very fondly.

I lurked @the SHF for a wee while before I signed up (mainly to get a flavour of the place before getting in the scrum..!) and noticed SH talking favourably about quite a few Quad mixes there over the years.. I remember he spoke of the Paul Simon/There Goes Rhymin' Simon Quad mix (which sadly looks like we won't get a Surround SACD reissue of now unless the artist has a major change of heart wrt surround mixes of his music) very fondly.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/there-goes-rhymin-simon-vinyl-masterpiece.189308/

image.jpg

Sly/Greatest Hits is a natural for a release but would also stand to benefit the most from a remix both in stereo and Quad.
The Quad mix is, for the most part, a great mix with the following exceptions:

"I wanna take you higher" uses the Piano track in FL instead of the Organ Track. If you listen closely, you can actually hear the organ in the background. Why the engineer forgot to pot it up is anybodys guess. Also, Sly's vocals trapped in FL only are kind of annoying.

"Stand" Sly's vocals trapped in BR, with the backing vocals in the front channels.

"Life" again, has backing vocals in the front, Sly's vocals in the back.

"You can make it if you try" has all vocals in the back channels with echoes in the front.

I disliked this so much, I made my own version for the car. I would really hope this version tries to correct what I believe to be channel assignment errors.

If it's Loggins & Messina Self Titled, that's a no-brainer. Yo Mama Don't Dance is a great mix.

Sly/Greatest Hits is a natural for a release but would also stand to benefit the most from a remix both in stereo and Quad.
The Quad mix is, for the most part, a great mix with the following exceptions:

"I wanna take you higher" uses the Piano track in FL instead of the Organ Track. If you listen closely, you can actually hear the organ in the background. Why the engineer forgot to pot it up is anybodys guess. Also, Sly's vocals trapped in FL only are kind of annoying.

"Stand" Sly's vocals trapped in BR, with the backing vocals in the front channels.

"Life" again, has backing vocals in the front, Sly's vocals in the back.

"You can make it if you try" has all vocals in the back channels with echoes in the front.

I disliked this so much, I made my own version for the car. I would really hope this version tries to correct what I believe to be channel assignment errors.

If it's Loggins & Messina Self Titled, that's a no-brainer. Yo Mama Don't Dance is a great mix.
Sounds like this quad mix isn't as great as we thought.

Sounds like this quad mix isn't as great as we thought.

The music is what makes the lack-luster mix shine. But on the other hand, songs like:

"Fun"
"Dance to the Music"
"Everyday People"
"Sing a simple Song"
"M'Lady"
"Everybody is a Star"
"Hot Fun in the Summertime"
"Thank You falletinme be mice elf agin"

.... are fantastic mixes!! So, when 8 of the 12 are amazing, that kinda brings up the ratings of the not-so-good songs. Someone once told me that all of Sly's music should be on 2" 16-track. Sometimes I question that because it seems that some of these Quad mixes would lead you to believe they come from 8-track, others are very obviously 16-track.

"Life" and "You can make it if you try" would be the easiest to fix. Just swap back channels for fronts thus taking the total of songs to 10 of 12 having fine mixes. "Stand" could be upgraded to being on par with "Higher", but out of all the songs, these are the worst mixes of the bunch. Would be hard to fix them without a proper remix.

Steve mentions Redbone in that one post.
That would be a cool release for AF in quad but probably a bit too obscure

There's nothing wrong with You Can Make It. It sounds great the way it is. Leave it alone.

Back