Quad LP/Tape Poll Sly & The Family Stone: Greatest Hits [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate Sly's "Greatest Hits"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 So-so

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Well, this puppy needs no introduction whatsoever...and more than lived up to its title. Can't imagine a better summation of a band's career up to the point covered(late '69)than this one! If you wanna party hearty, this Lp was the way to go back in the day....

Side 1:

1. I Want To Take You Higher
2. Everybody Is A Star
3. Stand!
4. Life
5. Fun
6. You Can Make It if You Try

Side 2:

1. Dance To the Music
2. Everyday People
3. Hot Fun In the Summertime
4. M'Lady
5. Sing a Simple Song
6. Thank you Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again

On the Q8, "Dance" ends Program 1 while "You Can Make it" opens Program 2.

ED :)

Attachments

• Sly Greatest Hits Quad.gif
    Sly Greatest Hits Quad.gif
    28.4 KB · Views: 937
Last edited:
Great music, and great quad mix. Definately a 10. :banana:

I gave it a 9. My only gripe with the Q8 is the fact that the drums for most of the songs are situated in Right Rear. Had they spread out to both rears to add a little more surround, definite 10! Still one of my most fave tapes. I can play it start to finish and like every song.

I gave it a 10, it remains one of my fave Quad titles. One reason, of course, is that, at the time, we finally got three songs--"Hot Fun," "Star" and "Thank You"--in something other than mono or rechanneled sound, and all were revelations! But beyond that, we also get--and this is the only place to get it other than the mono single--the 45 tag to "Sing A Simple Song." On the regular stereo version, the 'Na.....na na na" ending is not heard. Here, it is, and a shame that once again, it isn't to be found on ESSENTIAL, where the opportunity to remix was there.

ED

Ed Bishop said:
I gave it a 10, it remains one of my fave Quad titles. One reason, of course, is that, at the time, we finally got three songs--"Hot Fun," "Star" and "Thank You"--in something other than mono or rechanneled sound, and all were revelations! But beyond that, we also get--and this is the only place to get it other than the mono single--the 45 tag to "Sing A Simple Song." On the regular stereo version, the 'Na.....na na na" ending is not heard. Here, it is, and a shame that once again, it isn't to be found on ESSENTIAL, where the opportunity to remix was there.

ED

It's a shame they didn't try to redo some of the effects on "Sing a Simple Song" like they did in the stereo version. Such as the vocals in full left, then full right, then phantom center. Or the scream than pans back and forth between verses. I would love to get my hands on the masters and do a remix myself. *sigh*

The neat thing is I can still hear Sly on both Stereo AND Quad versions of "I wanna take you Higher" say to somebody, prob'ly one of the engineers "I hear that" on the first round of "Boom-Laka-Laka-Boom"s.

I like pointing that one out to people, just like you can hear if you listen really hard to Wolfman Jack on "Clap for the Wolfman", you can hear him having trouble breathing, he says "SHHH" (probably to one of the girls), and you can barely hear somebody ask him a question to which he replys "No".

I love Quad :D

Last edited:
I have heard the master quad mix tapes of this. :D
It's the most fun you can have in surround!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Q-Eight - I think that the drums were recorded to one track on the multi.
Hence the mono placement.
And hey, I actually love that about this one!

Does anybody else think that the channel layout on "Stand!" is wonky??

I moved a few things around (like putting Sly's vocals in front left, much like on "I wanna take you Higher", Drum track Back left, secondary vocals Front Right, Tertiary Vocal (basically a whisper) and guitar track Back Right.

Sounds way better to me.

I have heard the master quad mix tapes of this. :D
It's the most fun you can have in surround!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Q-Eight - I think that the drums were recorded to one track on the multi.
Hence the mono placement.
And hey, I actually love that about this one!

Agreed. The master tape quad on this one is excellent. A 10 from me !

There are a few things a further remix could accomplish. Would be nice if a few tracks like "Dance To The Music" and 'Sing A Simple Song" were a bit closer in feel and edit to the 45 versions. "Dance" is missing a break at the beginning that is heard on the mono 45, for instance. But just compiling the dmultis must have been a bitch of a job, given that three songs hadn't at that point been mixed to stereo, let alone quad. Also unfortunate that STAND! wasn't remixed to quad completely; much of it but not all is here, of course, but such an important album would have been a logical choice, wonder why it wasn't done. Even more intriguing would have been RIOT, the doppelganger of STAND!, and fascinating for that.

I like the fact that "Dance" and "Simple" are slightly different from their mono/stereo edits. "Dance" plays out how it was recorded, I also like "Simple" for the simpler intro.

Curious though, the only difference my ears detect between stereo & quad versions of "Stand" is a cowbell. What other differences are there?

***EDIT***

Correction, I hear the cowbell in the Quad, it's buried kinda low in the RR vocal track.

I have always loved "Hot Fun in the Summertime" from the time it was released and it's great hearing it in quad. Also, "Everyday People".

Of course, the other Sly standards are here too and the quad mix is pretty nifty.

EDIT: Another note: I first heard the quad version of "I Want to Take You Higher" on the Realistic SQ sampler and it made me want to get the Greatest Hits record. So, the record makers' tricks are still working after all these years. \:^)

Doug

How do you turn mono into Quad? You go back to the master tapes. LOL!! One of the greatest Quads. I'll give it a 10 because you can dance to it. I've owned 4 copies of this. Prefer the SQ, but have done the most time with the Q8. I'm told the new CD is real stereo. Does anyone know?

Sister Linda Stone

Hello,

I have two copies of this title on SQ vinyl that I dug out for a listen "Hot Fun In The Summertime" seemed appropropriate. Anyway, I never noticed this before but these are two different pressings where different stampers were used as I soon found out by checking the runout grooves. What got me curious is that the cymbal crash and 360 degree panning on the intro of "Stand" was missing on the copy I put on. It started with a cold vocal of "Stand!". The copy with the cymbal crash and drum roll has a more aggressive overall quad sound and mix to it on the rest of the album as well.

The two different versions are as follows:

The preferred aggressive mix: Side 1 runout reads PQ AL-30325-2A
Side 2 runout reads PQ BL-30325-1C

The less aggressive mix: Side 1 runout reads PQ AL-30325-1A
Side 2 runout reads PQ BL-30325-1A

These are not different #'s where one is scratched out and another added which seems to happen to denote a different run or subsequent pressing from the same stampers. In this case they are original different #'s on all four sides.

Sure is curious, does anyone know the story behind this?

I don't know the story, but I do know the Mike Robin reel also has a cold start with the drum roll missing.

So there are two different SQ mixes? Good discovery! I have two copies, one thrashed, the other playable. I'll have to get them out and check the stamper numbers.

ED

I remembered reading that when It came time to do the Quadraphonic version of Greatest Hits, Sony or whoever couldn't locate the original master tapes for "Hot Fun In The Summertime", "Everybody Is S Star" and "Thankyou Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin". So they had to re record those versions. That's why the vocals on "Hot Fun In The Summertime" differ as do the orthers. When you play" The Essential Sly & The Family Stone" CD, you hear slightly different versions.

I aalso remember reading that the band couldn't even remember where they actually recorded "Hot Fun In The Summertime".

No, they didn't rerecord anything, AFAIK. What someone at Columbia did was ask Sly if he had any multis, and in fact, he did, and these were used to remix those tracks. The quad mixes are way too close to the originals (mono or stereo) to be rerecordings, but 'vocal differences' are not uncommon between mono 45 and stereo Lp mixes, let alone any quad mix.

No, they didn't rerecord anything, AFAIK. What someone at Columbia did was ask Sly if he had any multis, and in fact, he did, and these were used to remix those tracks. The quad mixes are way too close to the originals (mono or stereo) to be rerecordings, but 'vocal differences' are not uncommon between mono 45 and stereo Lp mixes, let alone any quad mix.

OK, maybe I'm wrong. I'll have to find the article where I first saw it. I do know that on the end of "Hot Fun In The Summertime" the vocals differ a bit in the end. I know that there was an unofficial / pirated/ whatever you call CD of the "Fresh" misrelase that had "Hot Fun In The Summertime" on it. Some website was selling it years ago. Perhps it was the slightly differing version added on just to expand the album.

BTW: How to the other versions / mixes of "Thankyou Fallettinme Be Mice Elf Agin", "Hot Fun In The Summertime", "Everybody Is A Star" decode in SQ or RM?

I need a little help from my new friends. :eek: I just buy a quadraphonic version of this album, but I don't have a quadraphonic system. It's my first quadraphonic album and the doubt is: 1. It's safe to play the record on a stereo system (I'm using a Numark TT1610 with original stylus + Sansui 551) without damage? 2. I will lost some audio information or this format is better than the last real stereo 2007 version? Thanx a lot!

Back