SM V3 teaser

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well since the HDMI horse has been beat to death and we are not going to get that, it would be nice if we could get a built in preamp with remote level control and six balanced outputs so we could just buy 2 stereo amps for Quad, or 3 stereo amps for 5.1, and connect the speakers. :)

I would love to setup 4 Schiit Vidars set to mono-block configuration with 4 Magnepans for Quad! :)

Multiple analog inputs would attract a lot of attention. I have been looking at multiples of chinese switchers with eight sets of inputs.

Analog outs from
1) Oppo
2)Schmarantz pre pro
3)SM3
4)Shure 5300 HT
5) Other Universal player to save wear and tear on Oppo (Yamaha DV1700)
6) Stereo only when not upmixing with SM3 or 5300 HT (ie Phono and RBCD input without upmix)
7) Possible three channels in front set up with SST Trinaural if a bargain falls into my lap or I build one
8) Spare (Computer driven DAC Okto 8 or ESI Gigaport or other kewl thing.)

Eight might be excessive for a preamp but I would vote for as many as can be managed. Ganged remote volume control and mute button would be great. Five of the eight are already waiting to be hooked up to a switch box. Two of the remaining three are pretty inevitable (SM3 and Computer DAC
Trinaural not so much)

Last edited:
So now.... the SM v3 is just like the v2 except with minor PS improvement & optical SPDIF input? Sounds more like SM v 2.5.
Will future versions include proper Synth or Hall modes for stereo decoding?
Minor power supply improvements? Like a bigger wall wart? What would really be cool would be a matching old school linear power supply in the same size box, and a 19" rack mount kit for the pair.

205 posts later.....
Please post in this thread ONLY if about the forthcoming SM v3 product!
If you wish to continue to discuss, compare, debate, differ, argue, inflame, belittle, advise, speculate or wander off into other audio aspects, go here: All That Jazz Posted Not About the SM v3

Forgot to mention, the new SM3 boards are due to arrive this week so its getting close!

Re recording etc, our guys in USA have failed in writing an INVOLVE encode plugin software based encoder. Basically it just did not sound correct and they gave up.

I will still persue it as it is super important but I need to get someone else who is crazy enough to tackle the beast and experienced in that software world.

Definitely the Surround Master should have multiple discrete inputs (repeating myself). This seems to be an never-ending problem with modern equipment lacking discrete analogue inputs.

Another feature might be to add the Involve encoder to the unit, or perhaps add as an optional feature. You could include a "tape" output selectable between stereo (SM input) and involve encode (of discrete inputs).

Last but not least a surround (stereo enhance) mode. That mode could be a fixed setting like Sansui or adjustable. I've been mulling over ideas in my head about that (so many possibilities) Whether to make it fully adjustable from L-R (R-L) to mono, or to limit the maximum blend to .414 or maybe .5, it would adjust between surround, QS (Involve) and Hall mode. A centre detent pot could be used to indicate neutral (Involve) setting. Or just use out of phase blending to create surround mode then SQ could be used as a faux hall mode if desired.

As much as I'd love an HDMI output, I'd love a 4-channel discrete input for those of us with Q8s and quad R2Rs!
Thats more what will happen on the super pre amp not the SM3. I am desperately trying to keep the price down (there will be a significant price increase). The electronics industry has gone totally nuts with component shortages everywhere due to factory lockouts in China due to Covid 19. Even common old garden chips have vanished till next April, and prices in some instances have tripled.

Definitely the Surround Master should have multiple discrete inputs (repeating myself). This seems to be an never-ending problem with modern equipment lacking discrete analogue inputs.

Another feature might be to add the Involve encoder to the unit, or perhaps add as an optional feature. You could include a "tape" output selectable between stereo (SM input) and involve encode (of discrete inputs).

Last but not least a surround (stereo enhance) mode. That mode could be a fixed setting like Sansui or adjustable. I've been mulling over ideas in my head about that (so many possibilities) Whether to make it fully adjustable from L-R (R-L) to mono, or to limit the maximum blend to .414 or maybe .5, it would adjust between surround, QS (Involve) and Hall mode. A centre detent pot could be used to indicate neutral (Involve) setting. Or just use out of phase blending to create surround mode then SQ could be used as a faux hall mode if desired.
Again I really want to keep the SM 3 and that series as set and forget as possible. Digital inputs such as HDMI really cause issues as they change the revision every few years and they are not always fully compatible and even worse the license costs around $20K plus the expense of the chipset. That is why in our Y4 product we sell it complete with a separate HDMI adapter....kills two birds with one stone.

I will definitely consider your thoughts on the super pre amp!!

Thats more what will happen on the super pre amp not the SM3. I am desperately trying to keep the price down (there will be a significant price increase). The electronics industry has gone totally nuts with component shortages everywhere due to factory lockouts in China due to Covid 19. Even common old garden chips have vanished till next April, and prices in some instances have tripled.
We've had quotes with 52 weeks leadtime for some semiconductors!

We've had quotes with 52 weeks leadtime for some semiconductors!

I work for a company that has quoted that kind of leadtime. Customers cancelled orders at the start of covid, the silicon foundries went idle, and then customers came back 3 to 6 months later and asked if they could have all the chips they cancelled immediately plus more as additional orders. The answer is NO. It's not all the fault of the silicon foundries, they were idle at the start of covid because customers (making products) panicked and cancelled. Then they found end users were ordering more products not less (apart from cars).

Hello Chucky!
We know that I have been waiting it out on the sidelines AND I intend to get a unit one of these days.
I check these threads regularly but if you have explained this may it have escaped me.
Why is V3 still 48/24 , couldn't you just wave your magic wand and make it 96/24?
Cheers from postapocalyptic NOLA

I work for a company that has quoted that kind of leadtime. Customers cancelled orders at the start of covid, the silicon foundries went idle, and then customers came back 3 to 6 months later and asked if they could have all the chips they cancelled immediately plus more as additional orders. The answer is NO. It's not all the fault of the silicon foundries, they were idle at the start of covid because customers (making products) panicked and cancelled. Then they found end users were ordering more products not less (apart from cars).
Yep, we warned production to get the orders in early due to the predicted shortages, they didn't! There also seems to be a lot of component obsolescence being brought forward as well, we are getting lots of emails to us from production saying what can we use instead of X, Y & Z in your design!

Hello Chucky!
We know that I have been waiting it out on the sidelines AND I intend to get a unit one of these days.
I check these threads regularly but if you have explained this may it have escaped me.
Why is V3 still 48/24 , couldn't you just wave your magic wand and make it 96/24?
Cheers from postapocalyptic NOLA

If I read the specs right on the TAS3204 DSP that the SM uses two of, it is locked at 48kHz. So I don't think a magic wand would fix that. Also in regards to a Facebook thread about the SM using 12 bit precision Chucky has a reply that probably might explain his position of higher sample rate:

The DSP has an audio sample of 24 bit not 12 but uses a 48 bit word length floating point sampling , using 28 bit maths coefficients with a 76 bit accumulator. Also uses sigma - delta modulators with 256 times oversampling. Last time I checked 24 bit is 1 part in 16.7 million. Better than my clapped out ears!

Back