SM V3 teaser

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!
Could not find in the manual what sample rates the SPDIF input accepts.

Regards, Thomas

Hi Chucky, in the page 3 diagram - should there be a 'C' in the 'outputs' section for Involve 5.1 and SQ 5.1?

So now.... the SM v3 is just like the v2 except with minor PS improvement & optical SPDIF input? Sounds more like SM v 2.5.
Will future versions include proper Synth or Hall modes for stereo decoding?

Last edited:
So now.... the SM v3 is just like the v2 except with minor PS improvement & optical SPDIF input? Sounds more like SM v 2.5.
Will future versions include proper Sytnth or Hall modes for stereo decoding?
How dare you downgrade it to 2.5 Sonik, I might forgive you one day. Really dunno about the extra modes, you guys will need to convince me. Maybe on the super preamp

How dare you downgrade it to 2.5 Sonik, I might forgive you one day. Really dunno about the extra modes, you guys will need to convince me. Maybe on the super preamp
I can't downgrade it. If Involve sez it is v3, it is v3. The improvement seems quite minor to me, as compared to the evolution of v1 to v2, which was significant. There should be no emphasis on us guys to prove it to you in regards to the extra modes as this has already been proven on the S&IC, Fosgate Tate 101, Sansui numerous units...

I can't downgrade it. If Involve sez it is v3, it is v3. The improvement seems quite minor to me, as compared to the evolution of v1 to v2, which was significant. There should be no emphasis on us guys to prove it to you in regards to the extra modes as this has already been proven on the S&IC, Fosgate Tate 101, Sansui numerous units...
I like the universality of it and not getting out of my spot..... I know, remote control!

I like the universality of it and not getting out of my spot..... I know, remote control!
Should one want to embrace the universal simplicity of Involve/QS decoding then SQ should be dropped and TSS. I ask my Magic 8 Ball how many people bought a Surround Master to listen to Two Speaker Surround and the answer is "none". Mean while a stereo synth mode offering 270 deg wrap around sound would be amazing to the potential buyers.

Who said anything about remote conttol? A nicietie but no improvement on the decoding.

Don't get me wrong... I love the SQ decoding on the SM. But outside of hard core quaddies, what does it mean to anyone? Lose TSS & put in better S2S mode.

Should one want to embrace the universal simplicity of Involve/QS decoding then SQ should be dropped and TSS. I ask my Magic 8 Ball how many people bought a Surround Master to listen to Two Speaker Surround and the answer is "none". Mean while a stereo synth mode offering 270 deg wrap around sound would be amazing to the potential buyers.

Who said anything about remote conttol? A nicietie but no improvement on the decoding.

Don't get me wrong... I love the SQ decoding on the SM. But outside of hard core quaddies, what does it mean to anyone? Lose TSS & put in better S2S mode.
Thinking.......

Absolutely need to keep SQ. I thought these units were made for only Quad folks. Although, one could see a lot of upside for the stereo to surround crowd - if they would or do buy these units. My recommendation would be to add modes, not take anything away as general thought.

Wasn’t there two different modes for SQ in an earlier model? Regular SQ and another mode for SQ records?

Absolutely need to keep SQ. I thought these units were made for only Quad folks. Although, one could see a lot of upside for the stereo to surround crowd - if they would or do buy these units. My recommendation would be to add modes, not take anything away as general thought.

Wasn’t there two different modes for SQ in an earlier model? Regular SQ and another mode for SQ records?
Agree, don't listen to Sonik, he's a trouble maker 😁

I'm in (partial) agreement with Sonik. I also suspect that TSS was not a major draw for most users (certainly here) and it would be great if it could be replaced with the sort of stereo synthesis mode that Sonik has long championed. But I strongly think that (again for the QQ audience at least) the SQ mode should remain.

Last edited:

Anyone who has a substantial collection of SQ records appreciates the inclusion of SQ on the SM. Yes, that's hard core quaddies, like me. As for TSS, I've used it to record an "enhanced" CD to play in my car. It worked pretty well!

The individual volume knobs were also on the SM v2 . Did you notice? The v2 also did SQ/QS did you notice?

Sorry, no, didn’t see it. It must have been a different model.

EDIT: As I mentioned in the previous post, add more modes, not less. Add the 270 degree thing you want. I recently looked at old new in box gear that had, I believe, something similar. But, obviously it would be better to have something brand new and all in one box.

Back