SM V3 teaser

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ran across this listing on eBay. Conflicting description as it calls out V3, photos are of V3 yet "what's included" section calls out V2.

(BTW the Invoilve Audio website "what's included" section has the same typo, calls out V2)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284458627313?hash=item423b0e30f1:g:N8IAAOSwGHphRXuD
It's our Aussie distributor stuffing up. It is a V3, they just used a V2 photo. No stock yet, we are assembling but waiting for the new front/ rear panels. It legit but really for Australian sales

I seem to be quoted (not my post though) in this ebay spiel - I don't have a Surround Master decoder, just an Electro-Voice EVX-4 Stereo-4 decoder that I purchased about 45 years ago. :p

Kirk Bayne

they possibly don't want to make a big hoo-ha about the Surround Master's QS and SQ Quad decoding abilities and may want to focus rather on the aspect's of their own technology for synthesizing anything from Stereo but i think they're missing a trick tbh because there's a lot of Quad decoding equipment buying and browsing goes on on eBay.

i would make mention of the Surround Master's superb Quad capabilities in the main blurb because lets face it, it is not just the best, it is the only piece of hardware apparatus available right now that can decode your old Quad LPs and vinyl's back big time baby, scream it from the rooftops!!

i reckon they should make sure QS, SQ, Quad and Quadraphonic are search terms the Surround Master might be found under. all potential extra sales.

maybe a link back to the QQ thread about "stuff that sounds good through the Surround Master" or whatever its called so that people can see testimonials from elsewhere, other than Australia 😂

oh and what's all this "SNV3" (their typo, not mine!) they should say Surround Master a lot, its a really cool name, get the word out there!! 😎

It's our Aussie distributor stuffing up. It is a V3, they just used a V2 photo. No stock yet, we are assembling but waiting for the new front/ rear panels. It legit but really for Australian sales

ah Aussie sales! hence all the Australian testimonials! 😂 🔨
do you have distributors in the U.S.A., UK and Europe? where's your biggest market? gotta be the U.S. right?

ah Aussie sales! hence all the Australian testimonials! 😂 🔨
do you have distributors in the U.S.A., UK and Europe? where's your biggest market? gotta be the U.S. right?
He died from cancer a few months ago, unfortunately he was uninsured and sold the stock without paying us to fund his cancer treatment and bad debted us around $100K. Cannot blame him as it was life and ultimately death and I really liked him.

Steve Ventre at Soundart
[email protected] is a great friend and is about to be a distributor in USA. We have none elsewhere. Yes USA is the biggest market.

Just ran across this listing on eBay. Conflicting description as it calls out V3, photos are of V3 yet "what's included" section calls out V2.

(BTW the Invoilve Audio website "what's included" section has the same typo, calls out V2)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284458627313?hash=item423b0e30f1:g:N8IAAOSwGHphRXuD
The listing is full of errors also calling it the SNv3 and mentions the encoder module in a manner irrelavent to the listed item. Front panel says v2, back panel shows v3 with dig input.

Chucky has listed their Y4 system on ebay before. Looking at the sellers name I think this is the case again.

Edit: Chucky beat me to an explanation:)

IIRC, QS decoding was created for stereo to surround sound creation first, then complementary encoding equations were devised.

Kirk Bayne
Actually the encoding equations existed, because they are almost the same as the Scheiber system.

IIRC, QS decoding was created for stereo to surround sound creation first, then complementary encoding equations were devised.

Kirk Bayne
The Sansui QS1 Synthesizer is an example of that! I don't think that the literature even mentions decoding encoded sources. Just going by memory I could be wrong.
edit: opps: QS1 not SQ!

Last edited:
The Sansui SQ1 Synthesizer is an example of that! I don't think that the literature even mentions decoding encoded sources. Just going by memory I could be wrong.
You are right the earliest Sansui quad stuff was all about synthesizing stereo to quad. But the unit you are referring to was the Sansui QS-1. Nuthin' to do with SQ.

RE: When will the SM3 finally get to market? I certainly understand that chips in specific, and the supply chain in general are all
messed up right now, but I have been asking about this for a year or so now? Is there any conservative forecast or projection when
it may finally arrive to market, and if so, when pre-orders may be appropriate to make?

Not, trying to be a pest, or impatient, but its been a very long wait without much news or progress? Any glimmer of hope?

RE: When will the SM3 finally get to market? I certainly understand that chips in specific, and the supply chain in general are all
messed up right now, but I have been asking about this for a year or so now? Is there any conservative forecast or projection when
it may finally arrive to market, and if so, when pre-orders may be appropriate to make?

Not, trying to be a pest, or impatient, but its been a very long wait without much news or progress? Any glimmer of hope?
Not meaning to speak for the Involve folks here; but I see it as them slowly rolling out this great gear in a difficult environment, and we get a front row seat view; and even occasionally can chime in with our wishes on design and features. That to me seems very rare if not unheard of in this industry. So it seems like a long time, but it's because we've been along for the ride from the early stages of development.

Hi
The Pup speaks the truth again. Any change takes around a year, even without covid, first you have to design the changes on schematic, pcb, prototype trial build, test, fix stuffups redo pre production prototype, change mechanics front / rear panel, change packaging artwork, arrange manufacture $$, try not to go broke in the mean time. Even a normal manufacture cycle at best is 3 months, right now in our other company Zenaji we have had to redesign boards to dodge the 52 week delay time in purchasing certain chips. It's nuts out there at the moment.
We are a small nimble company without many committees and paperwork, large consumer electronic manufacturers can take 3 to 4 years on a design to manufacture cycle.

It's all getting programmed and tested right now, the only thing holding things up is a delay in receiving the front and back panels.

Hey Chucky do we get free medical care with the Sm V3?
If so Im in.
Seriously Id like to buy a whole new system designed by involve.
Let us know when we can contact your new american distributor.

You get the comprehensive INVOLVE "pretend we care package" complete with stickers showing smiley faces quasi medical type models wearing the compulsory stethoscope and white coat.

I assume you are talking about picking up a Y4 system, I know Steve Ventre still has a few in stock - he is doing a show this week but you can contact him on :

1634601737747.png

If you are talking about our new Master series black box stuff........Patience!

SM3 sub output question:

Sub output is always on, even on 4.0 setting right?
My main speakers are full range, rear ones not so much (lack of space rather than WAF)

In my surround setup I have marked the rears as 'small' on the OPPO player so anything below 80Hz (or whateva) is channeled through the sub. Works well.

In the case of SM3 what is the best way forward?
If I use the SM3 sub output then I will be sending the low frequences of all 4 channels, won't I?
How can I send only the lows of the rears?
...or it doesn't matter because SM doesn't send very low frequencies to the rears anyway? (I'm talking pure stereo conversions only)

SM3 sub output question:

Sub output is always on, even on 4.0 setting right?
My main speakers are full range, rear ones not so much (lack of space rather than WAF)

In my surround setup I have marked the rears as 'small' on the OPPO player so anything below 80Hz (or whateva) is channeled through the sub. Works well.

In the case of SM3 what is the best way forward?
If I use the SM3 sub output then I will be sending the low frequences of all 4 channels, won't I?
How can I send only the lows of the rears?
...or it doesn't matter because SM doesn't send very low frequencies to the rears anyway? (I'm talking pure stereo conversions only)
Yes the Bass will go to all 4, and I'm fairly sure the sub is on all the time (its just an Low Pass Filter), but there is no Bass management in the SM, and not many AVRs can do it with analogue inputs. I have 4x floorstanders (& a Centre) but no sub. I use the SM2 in either Involve/QS or SQ 4.0 modes, or Involve/QS 4.0 only for stereo to 'synthetic' surround, and get full Bass in the rear channels. There won't usually be that much below 80Hz anyway, so I'm not sure it will matter.

Back