SM V3 teaser

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes the Bass will go to all 4, and I'm fairly sure the sub is on all the time (its just an Low Pass Filter), but there is no Bass management in the SM, and not many AVRs can do it with analogue inputs. I have 4x floorstanders (& a Centre) but no sub. I use the SM2 in either Involve/QS or SQ 4.0 modes, or Involve/QS 4.0 only for stereo to 'synthetic' surround, and get full Bass in the rear channels. There won't usually be that much below 80Hz anyway, so I'm not sure it will matter.
The setting is 4.1, not 4.0. The front and rear outputs are full range; no high-pass filter on them. That makes use of the sub optional, but you don't lose any frequencies because you're not using a sub.

For normal surround, I feed the sub with the LFE output, which in my case also contains the low end of the rears.

For pure stereo, I feed the sub with the right channel (cringe) using DSP to filter it below 33 Hz (looks good on REW!). So it simply extends the very lows.

Now that I will be setting up SM, I am scratching my head what to do with the small rears.
I don't want to try and solve a problem that doesn't really exist, so if next to nothing (below 80Hz) is sent to the rears in Involve mode I'm prepared to let it go.

Guys, I've been a member (of advancing years) for sometime but not messaged. I do so now as I've been using the SM2 for well over two years and generally been very impressed with overall sonic ability.
As a message to chucky, please keep the SQ mode as many of us still have plenty of SQ discs- if the SM3 runs cooler, that is a good thing and perhaps 270 degree stereo mode would be useful. Also, I am constantly switching inputs from streamers, turntable, tape, CD player etc, so it would be useful eventually
to have some switching without making the box much bigger. Please also find a distributor in the EU where I am based as posting back and forth to Australia is a pain. Lastly, I saw something about a (pre)ampli under development- interesting!

Guys, I've been a member (of advancing years) for sometime but not messaged. I do so now as I've been using the SM2 for well over two years and generally been very impressed with overall sonic ability.
As a message to chucky, please keep the SQ mode as many of us still have plenty of SQ discs- if the SM3 runs cooler, that is a good thing and perhaps 270 degree stereo mode would be useful. Also, I am constantly switching inputs from streamers, turntable, tape, CD player etc, so it would be useful eventually
to have some switching without making the box much bigger. Please also find a distributor in the EU where I am based as posting back and forth to Australia is a pain. Lastly, I saw something about a (pre)ampli under development- interesting!
Hi Roberch
Nice to get your feedback. We are retaining SQ mode. If the heat concerns you then consider the SM3, it really does run cooler. Also re switching between sources, sometime next year will will release our mini preamp (includes de click and de hiss modes)

Do you use something like any of these? Amazon.co.uk : audio switch box

I use the 4 Way Audio Input Control Manual Cinch: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Back