HiRez Poll Smith, Paul - THE PAUL SMITH TRIO [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Paul Smith - THE PAUL SMITH TRIO

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thougts and comments on this DVD-Audio disc from AIX. (y) :phones (n)

Attachments

• PST-front.jpg
    PST-front.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 62
  • PST-back.jpg
    PST-back.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 63
One of my 2 favourite AIX titles along with Calamari. A 10. Paul Smith makes playing the Piano look so easy and effortless. Sound quality is excellent.

Excellent jazz trio, piano/bass/drums. I don't know much about jazz, but I like this and these guys can play.

One gripe is that the DVD-A 96/24 mix is the "Audience" mix. Those of us preferring the "Stage" mix are relegated to the DTS track on the other side, but at least we can get a video of the performance at the same time (hit the angle button on your remote). Guy is right that Paul Smith makes playing the piano look effortless, and I find Smith's general lack of emotion (in contrast to the other musicians) a bit humorous. But make no mistake, his playing is great.

A few familiar songs on here even to me. Favorite tracks: On Green Dolphin Street, One Note Samba, Yardbird Suite, The Surrey with the Fringe on Top.

The Stage mix wraps around you, although not to the extent that some of the other AIX releases do. But heck, there are only 3 instruments here to begin with, I wouldn't expect to be hearing stuff from all over the place.

I had not listened to this in quite some time, and two tracks in, I was already thinking that this should get spun more often. I like to work to instrumental music, and invariably I reach for a SACD from HeadsUp or other Concord label. There are some really good ones, but I like this as well as the best of those. And there are lots of extras too.

Given a choice I'm more interested in good surround than hi-res, so I won't dock AIX for making my preferred mix DTS. I give it a 9.

Mark Z

Excellent jazz trio, piano/bass/drums. I don't know much about jazz, but I like this and these guys can play.

One gripe is that the DVD-A 96/24 mix is the "Audience" mix. Those of us preferring the "Stage" mix are relegated to the DTS track on the other side, but at least we can get a video of the performance at the same time (hit the angle button on your remote). Guy is right that Paul Smith makes playing the piano look effortless, and I find Smith's general lack of emotion (in contrast to the other musicians) a bit humorous. But make no mistake, his playing is great.

A few familiar songs on here even to me. Favorite tracks: On Green Dolphin Street, One Note Samba, Yardbird Suite, The Surrey with the Fringe on Top.

The Stage mix wraps around you, although not to the extent that some of the other AIX releases do. But heck, there are only 3 instruments here to begin with, I wouldn't expect to be hearing stuff from all over the place.

I had not listened to this in quite some time, and two tracks in, I was already thinking that this should get spun more often. I like to work to instrumental music, and invariably I reach for a SACD from HeadsUp or other Concord label. There are some really good ones, but I like this as well as the best of those. And there are lots of extras too.

Given a choice I'm more interested in good surround than hi-res, so I won't dock AIX for making my preferred mix DTS. I give it a 9.

Mark Z

If you want to try something newer that just blew me away, pick up the AIX BR of "Ernest Ranglin - Order of Distinction". It's the best audio I have ever heard and the video is HD as well.

Back