Smyth Research A16 REALISER Review

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi... since you are using Roon and HDMI... You request is very doable.

I'm happy to help. But I have some questions for you first. What type of 2 channel upmixing do you prefer? Does your machine have Auro-3D activated?

John
Thanks for the reply John. The only upmixing I have tried is dolby surround... however I do have Auro if that's recommended, I should probably try it :)

Thanks again for your time, appreciate it.

Cool... Have you upgraded to the newest firmware 2.15?

With 2.15... You could create a separate presets that upmixes 2.0 using any of the three decoders... Atmos, DTS,
or Auro-3D... As well as a preset that has no up mixing enabled... Which will allow for native multi-channel playback... With no upmixing.

PS... I would definitely recommend upmixing 2.0 or any of the other multi channel formats with Auro-3D. You can modify the sound and stage to your heart's content using both the Auro preset and strength.

Hope that helps.
John

Last edited:

With 2.15... You could create a separate presets that upmixes 2.0 using any of the three decoders... Atmos, DTS,
or Auro-3D... As well as a preset that has no up mixing enabled... Which will allow for native multi-channel playback... With no upmixing.

PS... I would definitely recommend upmixing 2.0 or any of the other multi channel formats with Auro-3D. You can modify the sound and stage to your heart's content using both the Auro preset and strength.

Hope that helps.
John
Super helpful, thank you. I’ll be able to dive into this next weekend, looking forward to it!

Hope that helps.
John
Hi John - first thanks for all your help. I did the firmware upgrade to 2.15 and that all worked fine. I do see all the Auro-3d settings options, however I assume I need to buy a license to use it. There is a reference to a doc with instructions on how to do that in the firmware instructions doc… however I’ll be darned if I can find the doc on how to buy Auro-3d anywhere on the Smyth site… do you by any chance have that doc or know where it is? TIA (again).

BTW both you and HFM here suggested using presets to accomplish my first ask, and that works great!

Man I wish there was a comprehensive, readable manual for this incredible device. It would really help someone like me.

Hi...

All you need to do is email James a copy of your log file and tell him you'd like to upgrade to Auro-3D. After payment... He will send you a permission file to install. That's it.

But first to make sure you actually have the DTS permission installed on your machine... The quickest way to do so is to check your about section on your machine.

Settings>Updates/About and click the down arrow until you see this screen.

If you see DTS:X... You're all set to upgrade to Auro-3D.

Screenshot_20230729_144507_Gallery.jpg

As always... I'm glad to help you in any way I can.

John

Back