Quantcast

Smyth Research A16 REALISER Review

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

esimms86

701 Club - QQ All-Star
If you happen to be so lucky as to have a friend or acquaintance in your local area with an A16, you should know that the unit accepts two users(user A and user B). This means that the A16 owner can potentially make a PRIR and HPEQ to suit your anatomy without affecting the personalized files and function of the A16 for his/her enjoyment.

zeerround

My A16 is finally here!

After months and months of drama. International banking issues, a unit that disappeared from UPS while on the way to me and had to be replaced, mine is here and getting slowly installed/configured.

This is the 2u balanced in/out model.

I also went for a pair of Sennheiser hd 800 s headphones.
IMG-0312.jpg

Also a ButtKicker BK-GR Gamer for the "tactile" output.

zeerround

Well as to the gear getting "lost" I suggested they try a different carrier. DHL seemed to go much smoother than UPS. Suspect UPS or the customs service UPS used has a thief...

For the money part, they pointed me at a UK account that would only accept US dollars. Paypal's Xoom sent them pounds, since they were in the UK. They refused the pounds, and the money went into limbo for a LONG time before I could convince Paypal/Xoom to return it to me so I could try again.

Besides the lost time and frustration, I also had to pay Paypal fees (which wouldn't have been needed if the Xoom had worked) and paid the import fees twice.

Just glad the drama is over!

esimms86

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Well as to the gear getting "lost" I suggested they try a different carrier. DHL seemed to go much smoother than UPS. Suspect UPS or the customs service UPS used has a thief...

For the money part, they pointed me at a UK account that would only accept US dollars. Paypal's Xoom sent them pounds, since they were in the UK. They refused the pounds, and the money went into limbo for a LONG time before I could convince Paypal/Xoom to return it to me so I could try again.

Besides the lost time and frustration, I also had to pay Paypal fees (which wouldn't have been needed if the Xoom had worked) and paid the import fees twice.

Just glad the drama is over!
I’m happy to hear that you’ve finally received your A16. Unfortunately, your shipping nightmare story is not unusual. I consider myself fortunate not only to have received my A16 in January but also to have received my upgraded unit(from original specs to the same specs that you now enjoy at no added cost to you) back from Ireland several weeks ago. Thankfully, UPS did not lose my package.

Incidentally, UK Customs charged me a sizable fee(456.1 GBP)for shipping my own A16 back to Ireland for the upgrade. After doing much research into the matter and completing a reimbursement application, I was finally successful in having the majority of my payment(all but 11.5 GBP) refunded to me.

Now, I’m enjoying my homemade PRIR as I continue to wait on Smyth Research’s launch of their long promised Realiser Exchange(and, with it, my 7.1.4 PRIR made at CanJam NY in 2017).

Enjoy your A16!

zeerround

I haven't done a PRIR yet, with my new unit or when I had the demo.

I'm just using the BBC room with my custom HPEQ.

My room is 7.1.4 Genelecs, although technically I have two subs and also a "top" speaker so 7.2.5 or something.

I did get all the Genelecs wired up to the A16 today, but I need to increase the gain at each speaker as the A16 doesn't seem to be near as "hot" as the pair of Focusrite saffire pro-40s I was using to drive them.

The BBC 9.1.6 room seems fine, until I get around to doing a PRIR and custom PCM room, plus the 9.1.6 is pushing me to think beyond 7.1.4 in terms of my upmix software.

esimms86

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I haven't done a PRIR yet, with my new unit or when I had the demo.

I'm just using the BBC room with my custom HPEQ.

My room is 7.1.4 Genelecs, although technically I have two subs and also a "top" speaker so 7.2.5 or something.

I did get all the Genelecs wired up to the A16 today, but I need to increase the gain at each speaker as the A16 doesn't seem to be near as "hot" as the pair of Focusrite saffire pro-40s I was using to drive them.

The BBC 9.1.6 room seems fine, until I get around to doing a PRIR and custom PCM room, plus the 9.1.6 is pushing me to think beyond 7.1.4 in terms of my upmix software.
If you think the BBC room is fine then you’re in for a major jaw drop when you get to hear your PRIR.

Starkenstein

My A16 is finally here!

After months and months of drama. International banking issues, a unit that disappeared from UPS while on the way to me and had to be replaced, mine is here and getting slowly installed/configured.

This is the 2u balanced in/out model.

I also went for a pair of Sennheiser hd 800 s headphones.
View attachment 56496

Also a ButtKicker BK-GR Gamer for the "tactile" output.
Good for you!

I was not in the Kickstarter campaign, but instead a pre-order participant in October of 2016, so I've got a ways to go before my unit is shipped.

Please tell us how you like it.