Smyth Research A16 REALISER Review

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you happen to be so lucky as to have a friend or acquaintance in your local area with an A16, you should know that the unit accepts two users(user A and user B). This means that the A16 owner can potentially make a PRIR and HPEQ to suit your anatomy without affecting the personalized files and function of the A16 for his/her enjoyment.

My A16 is finally here!

After months and months of drama. International banking issues, a unit that disappeared from UPS while on the way to me and had to be replaced, mine is here and getting slowly installed/configured.

This is the 2u balanced in/out model.

I also went for a pair of Sennheiser hd 800 s headphones.
IMG-0312.jpg

Also a ButtKicker BK-GR Gamer for the "tactile" output.

Well as to the gear getting "lost" I suggested they try a different carrier. DHL seemed to go much smoother than UPS. Suspect UPS or the customs service UPS used has a thief...

For the money part, they pointed me at a UK account that would only accept US dollars. Paypal's Xoom sent them pounds, since they were in the UK. They refused the pounds, and the money went into limbo for a LONG time before I could convince Paypal/Xoom to return it to me so I could try again.

Besides the lost time and frustration, I also had to pay Paypal fees (which wouldn't have been needed if the Xoom had worked) and paid the import fees twice.

Just glad the drama is over!

Well as to the gear getting "lost" I suggested they try a different carrier. DHL seemed to go much smoother than UPS. Suspect UPS or the customs service UPS used has a thief...

For the money part, they pointed me at a UK account that would only accept US dollars. Paypal's Xoom sent them pounds, since they were in the UK. They refused the pounds, and the money went into limbo for a LONG time before I could convince Paypal/Xoom to return it to me so I could try again.

Besides the lost time and frustration, I also had to pay Paypal fees (which wouldn't have been needed if the Xoom had worked) and paid the import fees twice.

Just glad the drama is over!
I’m happy to hear that you’ve finally received your A16. Unfortunately, your shipping nightmare story is not unusual. I consider myself fortunate not only to have received my A16 in January but also to have received my upgraded unit(from original specs to the same specs that you now enjoy at no added cost to you) back from Ireland several weeks ago. Thankfully, UPS did not lose my package.

Incidentally, UK Customs charged me a sizable fee(456.1 GBP)for shipping my own A16 back to Ireland for the upgrade. After doing much research into the matter and completing a reimbursement application, I was finally successful in having the majority of my payment(all but 11.5 GBP) refunded to me.

Now, I’m enjoying my homemade PRIR as I continue to wait on Smyth Research’s launch of their long promised Realiser Exchange(and, with it, my 7.1.4 PRIR made at CanJam NY in 2017).

Enjoy your A16!

I haven't done a PRIR yet, with my new unit or when I had the demo.

I'm just using the BBC room with my custom HPEQ.

My room is 7.1.4 Genelecs, although technically I have two subs and also a "top" speaker so 7.2.5 or something.

I did get all the Genelecs wired up to the A16 today, but I need to increase the gain at each speaker as the A16 doesn't seem to be near as "hot" as the pair of Focusrite saffire pro-40s I was using to drive them.

The BBC 9.1.6 room seems fine, until I get around to doing a PRIR and custom PCM room, plus the 9.1.6 is pushing me to think beyond 7.1.4 in terms of my upmix software.

I haven't done a PRIR yet, with my new unit or when I had the demo.

I'm just using the BBC room with my custom HPEQ.

My room is 7.1.4 Genelecs, although technically I have two subs and also a "top" speaker so 7.2.5 or something.

I did get all the Genelecs wired up to the A16 today, but I need to increase the gain at each speaker as the A16 doesn't seem to be near as "hot" as the pair of Focusrite saffire pro-40s I was using to drive them.

The BBC 9.1.6 room seems fine, until I get around to doing a PRIR and custom PCM room, plus the 9.1.6 is pushing me to think beyond 7.1.4 in terms of my upmix software.
If you think the BBC room is fine then you’re in for a major jaw drop when you get to hear your PRIR.

My A16 is finally here!

After months and months of drama. International banking issues, a unit that disappeared from UPS while on the way to me and had to be replaced, mine is here and getting slowly installed/configured.

This is the 2u balanced in/out model.

I also went for a pair of Sennheiser hd 800 s headphones.
View attachment 56496

Also a ButtKicker BK-GR Gamer for the "tactile" output.

Good for you!

I was not in the Kickstarter campaign, but instead a pre-order participant in October of 2016, so I've got a ways to go before my unit is shipped.

Please tell us how you like it.

Man, I would be so into this thing if it were $400 and not $4000.

Looks like they are running a 20% off Black Friday sale.
Despite the 3 1/2 year wait, I'm so glad that I picked it up on Kickstarter for a little less than 800 USD. While I'm enjoying it with my homemade stereo PRIR, I'll uncork the champagne when the Realiser Exchange goes live and I finally receive my CanJam Dolby Atmos PRIR..

In my current situation(financially comfortable but, nonetheless, still retired) a 20% discount would not get me any closer to purchasing an A16 in 2020.

I am very surprised this thread has no activity... Especially on this forum.

I use my Realiser A16 almost everyday... It gets used mostly for multichannel music. Love TrueHD Atmos Blu-rays... The Music Media Helper has been a tremendous "help" in converting my Blu-ray audio to mka. Which is how I stumbled on this forum.

I'm curious how many members here own and use their Realiser A16.

I’ve mentioned mine in this thread and others. Rack mount balanced version, which may have helped me jump the queue?

Recently got the dts:x upgrade. Even though I have 13 genelecs and two subs I use the A16 99% of the time. USB for 16 ch. multi channel playback and hdmi for encoded material. Sennheiser HD 800 S phones.

I’ve mentioned mine in this thread and others. Rack mount balanced version, which may have helped me jump the queue?

Recently got the dts:x upgrade. Even though I have 13 genelecs and two subs I use the A16 99% of the time. USB for 16 ch. multi channel playback and hdmi for encoded material. Sennheiser HD 800 S phones.
I haven't seen a balanced version. Do you have a picture of the back of your A16? I just thought you would switch to balanced mode via the software settings and front /rear adapters.

I have a small 7.1 speaker system, but would prefer to use my Realiser. It's hard to beat my 24 channel Dutch and Dutch 8c listening room... Rspecial from the comfort of my bed! 🤪 I use both my Abyss 1266 TCs and Raals with a Clark Synthesis tactile transducer. Absolutely love it.

I'm not. It's an expensive device, and most here are primarily speaker listeners. I certainly couldn't justify the purchase.
True... It is expensive. But what isn't? The trade off is, I can listen to a $150k speaker system anywhere, anytime. IMO, that justifies the entry fee.

I haven't seen a balanced version. Do you have a picture of the back of your A16? I just thought you would switch to balanced mode via the software settings and front /rear adapters.

I have a small 7.1 speaker system, but would prefer to use my Realiser. It's hard to beat my 24 channel Dutch and Dutch 8c listening room... Rspecial from the comfort of my bed! 🤪 I use both my Abyss 1266 TCs and Raals with a Clark Synthesis tactile transducer. Absolutely love it.

Mine looks like the middle one below. Except the DB25 connectors are analog balanced in and out, vs. digital as in the photo.

1644808499320.png

If I recall the db25 to xlr cables came from sweetwater.

Even though I have 13 genelecs and two subs I use the A16 99% of the time.
What Genelecs do you have? I also have a 24 channel Genelec 8351b PRIR. Like my Dutch and Dutch... the Genelec PRIR was made in a sound treated recording studio.

Last edited:
Back