Snood's Garage Sale Adventures continued.........

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked at a company just outside of Chowchilla for 40yrs. I worked with a lot of people who were affected by that tragedy.
Yeah , Stereoadvisor may be overwhelmed , but also , he is 70 . When I got my Sansui sc737 back, the door worked for a couple of times. Then it would not stay shut. Found that an arm that worked the locking mech. came off. The e clip was missing. I could not hear it when I moved the unit around and suspect that he forgot to put it on. I say this because at 66, that is where my memory is at. I put a new e clip and it's all good. I still will use him as he seems to be genuinely interested in doing a good job. And that goes a long way with me. After I get my Akai quad tape deck back , I plan to see if he is interested in working on my Fosgate Tate II. I got it from a guy in Sac who is a estate buyer. So he didn't know the history. I did not want to try it until it was checked out. Hopefully Stereoadvisor will get it back in shape.

I agree that he's definitely interested in doing what he does and genuinely wants to do a good job. He's also a very nice guy to talk to. And he fixed a cassette deck that another local shop had botched. I guess they put the wrong belt in and I didn't realize it was running slightly too slow until I'd digitized one of my cassette compilations of SNL/Letterman musical performances. Grumble.

On the other hand, just yesterday I picked up a cheapo Sony linear tracker (PS-LX520) that he brought back from the dead a few years ago. But it had an annoying THUNK in the audio every few seconds. Turned out that every time the linear tracking mechanism moved the arm, it would jerk so dramatically that it would create sound that made it to the output. I took it back and explained the problem. He ultimately said he tried but could only minimize it rather than eliminate it. I used that particular turntable pretty casually and just put up with it. But eventually it completely froze again. I ignored it for a year or more but finally took it to Delta Breeze. For $30, Ben lubricated it and replaced a belt (he said it wasn't really necessary, but as long as he was in there anyway...) and now there's no thunking at all. I really wasn't expecting that and can't help but wonder why Luis couldn't fix it.

I do wonder if belts are being made out of inferior materials these days. I have a Technics SL-Q6 that I inherited from a late friend in 1998. It was already at least 10 years old by then and I had it for ten or more years after that before I decided that I should get it looked at Just In Case. I figured that after 20 years it was due for at least a cleaning, if nothing else. Luis replaced at least one belt, lubricated it and I suspect adjusted the auto-return, because it never again lifted off too soon, which had been an intermittent problem before.

But, after lasting 20 years without service, it only lasted about 5 after that. Turns out it was just a belt and Delta Breeze fixed it quickly for $30. I don't blame Luis/Stereoadvisor for that, but it's a bit alarming.

He also worked on my Tate II and determined that one of the Unobtanium chips is bad. If that winds up being the situation with yours, I should probably just send you mine and you can combine the two.

I agree that he's definitely interested in doing what he does and genuinely wants to do a good job. He's also a very nice guy to talk to. And he fixed a cassette deck that another local shop had botched. I guess they put the wrong belt in and I didn't realize it was running slightly too slow until I'd digitized one of my cassette compilations of SNL/Letterman musical performances. Grumble.

On the other hand, just yesterday I picked up a cheapo Sony linear tracker (PS-LX520) that he brought back from the dead a few years ago. But it had an annoying THUNK in the audio every few seconds. Turned out that every time the linear tracking mechanism moved the arm, it would jerk so dramatically that it would create sound that made it to the output. I took it back and explained the problem. He ultimately said he tried but could only minimize it rather than eliminate it. I used that particular turntable pretty casually and just put up with it. But eventually it completely froze again. I ignored it for a year or more but finally took it to Delta Breeze. For $30, Ben lubricated it and replaced a belt (he said it wasn't really necessary, but as long as he was in there anyway...) and now there's no thunking at all. I really wasn't expecting that and can't help but wonder why Luis couldn't fix it.

I do wonder if belts are being made out of inferior materials these days. I have a Technics SL-Q6 that I inherited from a late friend in 1998. It was already at least 10 years old by then and I had it for ten or more years after that before I decided that I should get it looked at Just In Case. I figured that after 20 years it was due for at least a cleaning, if nothing else. Luis replaced at least one belt, lubricated it and I suspect adjusted the auto-return, because it never again lifted off too soon, which had been an intermittent problem before.

But, after lasting 20 years without service, it only lasted about 5 after that. Turns out it was just a belt and Delta Breeze fixed it quickly for $30. I don't blame Luis/Stereoadvisor for that, but it's a bit alarming.

He also worked on my Tate II and determined that one of the Unobtanium chips is bad. If that winds up being the situation with yours, I should probably just send you mine and you can combine the two.
Well , I just got a call yesterday . StereoAdvisor said that my Akai CR-80D-SS is ready to be picked up. Hopefully I will pick it up tomorrow and at the same time drop off my Tate II. If one chip is bad , I will definitely take you up on the offer. So , I assume that there is not type of replacement ?

Well , I just got a call yesterday . StereoAdvisor said that my Akai CR-80D-SS is ready to be picked up. Hopefully I will pick it up tomorrow and at the same time drop off my Tate II. If one chip is bad , I will definitely take you up on the offer. So , I assume that there is not type of replacement ?

According to the late and dearly missed Disclord, the only source of a "new" chip is to find a particular generation of a very early theatrical Dolby Stereo decoder.

Reviving an oldie but goodie thread................

Snood fun garage sale finds is back in business :LB

This one really doesn't count as a garage sale fine, but more like a neighborhood app find. This one is like yeah but urrrrrgh but still yaaaay. There is an app called nextdoor which is pretty much where neighbors join and post about what's going on in the hood or nearby/ They also have a for sale or free section.........in the for sale free section Snood has found some pretty koo stuff for free or very cheap. Marilyn Monroe framed posters, Beatles canvas on wood posters and odds and ends.

Sooooooo today .......get back from local CVS returning some amazon for UPS pickup.....look on the site and Whaaaaaa I see someone giving away a freaking Wii console with some really good games and all the accessories FREEEEE :eek: bout say 130 to 170 worth of goodies. Go to reply and see 7 people already interested. I message the guy and say hey I will give ya 50 for it. Replies well that is tempting but i already put it up for free and there are now 10 people wanting it for free :unsure: Snood says Ok

So go back and see same guy giving away for free a 2007ish receiver, but it an Integra DTR 5.8 with nobody interested and am like wtf......back in the day was like a 700 or 800 dollar receiver (Onkyo hi end brand) and replied, well I will take this instead lol.........he said come get it. I was like what really? No Atmos no 7.1 and no phono out on it...only 2 hdmi - but freeeeeee

Go to guys house beautiful neighborhood - call him on phone....we hit it off right away - he is refurbing a Triumph convertible in the garage. Talked a bit about that then onto music and of course surround. He is a big PF fan, so of course I had to talk MCH stuff. Turns out even though his equipment was fine and sounded great he wanted to upgrade 4K and Atmos etc........he hired some sound company to come in and do everything - even though he wanted to keep the Integra they told him no (they were right for what he wants). They got him a new Marantz

Here is where the urgh come in........He wanted to integrate his old Phono, which they obliged with the receiver, but they told him there was no room for this.........So he got rid of it today right before I arrived....I did not even see it on the for sale. Had to be off right before i got on.....he said 2 peeps were interested. He mentioned this right after we were talkign Quad and surround for like 30 minutes.

He gave away a working and he said nice - Akai 4 channel Reel to Reel for free to some schlub that bullshitted him and told him he wanted to show his son how we used to do things in the old days. Like how we used a rotary phone. I swear if you ever seen an older guy melt while laughing.........that was Snood. Snood seriously went NOOOOOOOOOOO you are kidding while laughing. He knew he gave it to the wrong guy, but what can ya do LMAO

So yeah can not complain too much - When he handed the Integra over, I actually said you really want to do this.....cus I am koo just walking away going koooooo. He was nah just happy it going to a good home.

Some of you guys into camera would have freaked too - he gave away some unreal camera equipment and a nice 60 inch samsung. WTF!!! He own some software making company......think his last name was Gates :unsure: seemed familiar like seen him somewhere

Nah it wasn't:giggle::eek::LB:LB

Yeah guys & gals - dude said hey if someone willing to give you money for the stuff why you giving it away. He was like well I already told them it was free. I get it and seemed like a real cool dude. Like I said we talked for like an 30 minutes then put the Integra into my car then went back into the garage and talked another 30 before I said hey that Integra is gonna toast if i do not get going lol.

Oh - I found a new buddy online locally by chance - he sold me a cassette player really cheap - long story - I looked at some of the pics he had and I went woah this guy works on cassette decks. Talking like 20 dollars. Found him by chance on Facebook Market. He is a cassette head.....super into cassettes. We started chatting texting - I mentioned I had an old Sansui sc 3110 I got from my BF who got it from his Brothe back in 78 or 79 - look it up - told him it never worked when i got it....he offered to take a look.

He got it up and running took it apart new belts cleaned all the gunk and rotors and replaces a spindle or 2..............charged 100 - but look it up lol

I met up with him to get the old onkyo cassette deck very awesome koo guy too, but it was raining and he had a union class to go to.........

I THINK I GOT HIM INTO SURROUND - I burned a few dvdas for him and talked about it.....he ordered some surrounds- he told me he bought the PF DSOTM SACD but it would not play on his player.....told him his player would only do cd layer........he was bummed. I gave him my old pioneer 563A he sent me text of it playing.........he had not hooked up his surrounds as yet....but i saw them when he received them. So with any luck we might have another member lol. I think when he hears what I burned for him he is gonna flip :rocks

Hey snood, I was in a pawn shop a few years ago and bought 2 Wii consoles for $5 each. Both worked and the dates when both of them were pawned were shortly after the Wii came out (which means they were like new). I already had spares of power supplies, controllers and Mario GAMES that I bought dirt cheap after the Wii U came out. I have them hooked into the latest- greatest sony hd crt (xbr960) with the special nintendo component cables. I've done the same thing with super nes, nintendo 64, genesis, saturn, dreamcast and gamecube (with the rare GC factory component cables), I have MULTIPLE consoles and controllers of each because at one time they were practically giving them away in pawn shops and 2nd hand stores. I found a sony 13" rgb monitor and a JVC 17" rgb monitor and made my own rgb cables. You ought to see these older consoles in rgb, wow, what a difference! The dreamcast doesn't output rgb but has a special box that allows it to play in any dell monitor and it looks as good as rgb. Of course that original dreamcast box is as rare as hens teeth. I use the square dell 21" monitor with its computer input for the dreamcast. This monitor also has composite, svhs and hd inputs. VHS tapes look like dvds and dvds look like blurays when played back on this monitor. I've been looking for another one of these monitors with all the inputs but cant seem to find another one. I guess I better stop now.

This one really doesn't count as a garage sale fine, but more like a neighborhood app find. This one is like yeah but urrrrrgh but still yaaaay. There is an app called nextdoor which is pretty much where neighbors join and post about what's going on in the hood or nearby/ They also have a for sale or free section.........in the for sale free section Snood has found some pretty koo stuff for free or very cheap. Marilyn Monroe framed posters, Beatles canvas on wood posters and odds and ends.

Sooooooo today .......get back from local CVS returning some amazon for UPS pickup.....look on the site and Whaaaaaa I see someone giving away a freaking Wii console with some really good games and all the accessories FREEEEE :eek: bout say 130 to 170 worth of goodies. Go to reply and see 7 people already interested. I message the guy and say hey I will give ya 50 for it. Replies well that is tempting but i already put it up for free and there are now 10 people wanting it for free :unsure: Snood says Ok

So go back and see same guy giving away for free a 2007ish receiver, but it an Integra DTR 5.8 with nobody interested and am like wtf......back in the day was like a 700 or 800 dollar receiver (Onkyo hi end brand) and replied, well I will take this instead lol.........he said come get it. I was like what really? No Atmos no 7.1 and no phono out on it...only 2 hdmi - but freeeeeee

Go to guys house beautiful neighborhood - call him on phone....we hit it off right away - he is refurbing a Triumph convertible in the garage. Talked a bit about that then onto music and of course surround. He is a big PF fan, so of course I had to talk MCH stuff. Turns out even though his equipment was fine and sounded great he wanted to upgrade 4K and Atmos etc........he hired some sound company to come in and do everything - even though he wanted to keep the Integra they told him no (they were right for what he wants). They got him a new Marantz

Here is where the urgh come in........He wanted to integrate his old Phono, which they obliged with the receiver, but they told him there was no room for this.........So he got rid of it today right before I arrived....I did not even see it on the for sale. Had to be off right before i got on.....he said 2 peeps were interested. He mentioned this right after we were talkign Quad and surround for like 30 minutes.

He gave away a working and he said nice - Akai 4 channel Reel to Reel for free to some schlub that bullshitted him and told him he wanted to show his son how we used to do things in the old days. Like how we used a rotary phone. I swear if you ever seen an older guy melt while laughing.........that was Snood. Snood seriously went NOOOOOOOOOOO you are kidding while laughing. He knew he gave it to the wrong guy, but what can ya do LMAO

So yeah can not complain too much - When he handed the Integra over, I actually said you really want to do this.....cus I am koo just walking away going koooooo. He was nah just happy it going to a good home.

Some of you guys into camera would have freaked too - he gave away some unreal camera equipment and a nice 60 inch samsung. WTF!!! He own some software making company......think his last name was Gates :unsure: seemed familiar like seen him somewhere

Yeah guys & gals - dude said hey if someone willing to give you money for the stuff why you giving it away. He was like well I already told them it was free. I get it and seemed like a real cool dude. Like I said we talked for like an 30 minutes then put the Integra into my car then went back into the garage and talked another 30 before I said hey that Integra is gonna toast if i do not get going lol.

Oh - I found a new buddy online locally by chance - he sold me a cassette player really cheap - long story - I looked at some of the pics he had and I went woah this guy works on cassette decks. Talking like 20 dollars. Found him by chance on Facebook Market. He is a cassette head.....super into cassettes. We started chatting texting - I mentioned I had an old Sansui sc 3110 I got from my BF who got it from his Brothe back in 78 or 79 - look it up - told him it never worked when i got it....he offered to take a look.

He got it up and running took it apart new belts cleaned all the gunk and rotors and replaces a spindle or 2..............charged 100 - but look it up lol

I met up with him to get the old onkyo cassette deck very awesome koo guy too, but it was raining and he had a union class to go to.........

I THINK I GOT HIM INTO SURROUND - I burned a few dvdas for him and talked about it.....he ordered some surrounds- he told me he bought the PF DSOTM SACD but it would not play on his player.....told him his player would only do cd layer........he was bummed. I gave him my old pioneer 563A he sent me text of it playing.........he had not hooked up his surrounds as yet....but i saw them when he received them. So with any luck we might have another member lol. I think when he hears what I burned for him he is gonna flip :rocks

that's it! spread the word! 🥳

luv U Snoody 🥰

Hey snood, I was in a pawn shop a few years ago and bought 2 Wii consoles for $5 each. Both worked and the dates when both of them were pawned were shortly after the Wii came out (which means they were like new). I already had spares of power supplies, controllers and Mario GAMES that I bought dirt cheap after the Wii U came out. I have them hooked into the latest- greatest sony hd crt (xbr960) with the special nintendo component cables. I've done the same thing with super nes, nintendo 64, genesis, saturn, dreamcast and gamecube (with the rare GC factory component cables), I have MULTIPLE consoles and controllers of each because at one time they were practically giving them away in pawn shops and 2nd hand stores. I found a sony 13" rgb monitor and a JVC 17" rgb monitor and made my own rgb cables. You ought to see these older consoles in rgb, wow, what a difference! The dreamcast doesn't output rgb but has a special box that allows it to play in any dell monitor and it looks as good as rgb. Of course that original dreamcast box is as rare as hens teeth. I use the square dell 21" monitor with its computer input for the dreamcast. This monitor also has composite, svhs and hd inputs. VHS tapes look like dvds and dvds look like blurays when played back on this monitor. I've been looking for another one of these monitors with all the inputs but cant seem to find another one. I guess I better stop now.

man when i think of all the dosh i blew on the Virtual Console, all those games stuck on an old Wii i never play anymore.. reinforces my resistance to downloads.. its physical discs and tapes til i (or they!) die..!!! 😂💪📀📺📽✌️😝

Awesome TVB, Yeah I have all the old retro consoles except SNES and Dreamcast (no playstation cept the Mini) - I mainly went for the consoles I played in my 20s and 30s. I have an Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One and One S.....no Series yet, will wait on that. Do have the NES, Sega Genesis, Wii, and Gamecube. Have most the minis cept the SNES mini, but the lag on those things sux.....trying beating Mike Tyson Punch Out on the Mini.....ya can not. :rolleyes:

They are kooo though.

Right now I have them spread around the house.......retros mainly in the living room and the Xboxs' and Wii in my room & music room -

People are always getting rid of old flat screen CRTs round here.....story just about 5 or 6 months ago - Snood out joggin neighbor had a fresh nice 27 inch Sony Wega on the side for pickup, bout 5 houses down. Heavy suckers they are.......it was covid and I couldn't risk asking a friend over to help and come in the house with momma Snood around. So it sat there for a day then next day some idiot cracked it open and took out the innards. The Sony Wegas are the crown jewel of retro gaming CRT TVs. Since then I have seen 2 people give them away on Facebook Market Place......I told one of the older ladies what she had and she could get some money for it on Ebay, she listed it on Ebay and it sold within an hour for 125 and person picked up from like an hour drive away. She thanked Snood:giggle:

Do you still actively look for games? Snood do still :SB

Wow, what a story! Congrats on your “new” integra. If you run into that guy again tell him that Freddie Blue is interested in a free Atmos system Lol!!!

Awesome TVB, Yeah I have all the old retro consoles except SNES and Dreamcast (no playstation cept the Mini) - I mainly went for the consoles I played in my 20s and 30s. I have an Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One and One S.....no Series yet, will wait on that. Do have the NES, Sega Genesis, Wii, and Gamecube. Have most the minis cept the SNES mini, but the lag on those things sux.....trying beating Mike Tyson Punch Out on the Mini.....ya can not. :rolleyes:

They are kooo though.

Right now I have them spread around the house.......retros mainly in the living room and the Xboxs' and Wii in my room & music room -

People are always getting rid of old flat screen CRTs round here.....story just about 5 or 6 months ago - Snood out joggin neighbor had a fresh nice 27 inch Sony Wega on the side for pickup, bout 5 houses down. Heavy suckers they are.......it was covid and I couldn't risk asking a friend over to help and come in the house with momma Snood around. So it sat there for a day then next day some idiot cracked it open and took out the innards. The Sony Wegas are the crown jewel of retro gaming CRT TVs. Since then I have seen 2 people give them away on Facebook Market Place......I told one of the older ladies what she had and she could get some money for it on Ebay, she listed it on Ebay and it sold within an hour for 125 and person picked up from like an hour drive away. She thanked Snood:giggle:

Do you still actively look for games? Snood do still :SB

how comes you don't have a Dreamcast, Snood? one of my all-time favourite machines! one of these days i'll take some pics of some of my games stuff and pop a few up for fits and giggles 😝

Brother Snood with your Garage Sale Acumen you just might become the next JEFF BEZOS :SB :LB :SG

See the source image

The real killer of a deal I found was a pioneer Cld A100 LD with genesis module for playing sega cd's and carts.Most of the modules were cursed with the dreaded leaking caps disease, but not my module. I check it all the time and its just as fresh as new. However I dont have it modded to the rgb monitor. I'm a little concerned about hacking into such a rare machine. Man, all those retro games were $50-$60 when they came out. Hard to pass them up for 2.99. Speaking of the sony crt's, there was an HD 960 xbr square tube "pick it up its yours" on craigslist and it was the largest one they made (maybe 36"). I had to tie myself down to keep from going to go get it as I have the 30 wide and the 34 wide already.

Last edited:
how comes you don't have a Dreamcast, Snood? one of my all-time favourite machines! one of these days i'll take some pics of some of my games stuff and pop a few up for fits and giggles 😝

Never had one so really have no nostalgia for it.....I know it is good, but not anything i ever had back in the day :unsure:

OK new add to the Garage sale finds, but again not a garage sale - Buddy across the street bought another house to rent out (his 6th) so whoever was moving out left a pair of Marantz HD550 speakers. Calls me up and asks me if I want them, I said can ya send some pics........damn screens were still intact, but the sub foams need to be refoamed. The tweeter and midrange look great. He brought them over today suuuuuupppper dusty, but cleaned up real nice. The cabinet is in real nice shape compared to ones I see for sale on line. The tweet and mid range controls work on them, altho when adjust up or down they kinda have that static, but stop when not moving the dials. Might be able to fix that with some Deoxit perhaps. There was one bit of blech that I cleaned off about a 1/4 inch on the cabinet that took off some off the finish on the cabinet, but is covered up by the screens - nothing crazy only like 1/4 inch or more. Tested and the speakers all work, did not work them too hard with the woofer hanging on with very lil foam. Koo stereo speakers. :rocks

OK new add to the Garage sale finds, but again not a garage sale - Buddy across the street bought another house to rent out (his 6th) so whoever was moving out left a pair of Marantz HD550 speakers. Calls me up and asks me if I want them, I said can ya send some pics........damn screens were still intact, but the sub foams need to be refoamed. The tweeter and midrange look great. He brought them over today suuuuuupppper dusty, but cleaned up real nice. The cabinet is in real nice shape compared to ones I see for sale on line. The tweet and mid range controls work on them, altho when adjust up or down they kinda have that static, but stop when not moving the dials. Might be able to fix that with some Deoxit perhaps. There was one bit of blech that I cleaned off about a 1/4 inch on the cabinet that took off some off the finish on the cabinet, but is covered up by the screens - nothing crazy only like 1/4 inch or more. Tested and the speakers all work, did not work them too hard with the woofer hanging on with very lil foam. Koo stereo speakers. :rocks

VERY Koo, Snood!

SNOOD GOES ATMOS!

See the source image

More garage sale finds info soon - hint - Complete NAD system (CD, receiver and turntable) with a Nakamichi 581 3 Head Cassette Player - 150 bux. Nakmichi needs some fixing, but I have a online buddy met through facebook that fixes cassette players. Fixed my Sansui SC3110 very niiiiiiice. If he can't fix can still sell for parts for over 200

Oh shoot almost forgot also 2 Bowers and Wilkens DM302 bookshelf speakers came with it tooooo :love: more info coming when have time. The NAD 5120 is some weird looking thing, look it up and look for the straight tonearm. Already in a facebook group for peeps who love these. Seems kinda rare in USA, but over in UK, Hungary and Czech they have a cult following. Very quiet very nice - but no tone arm lol.

Back