HiRez Poll Snow Patrol - FINAL STRAW [DVD-A DualDisc/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Snow Patrol - FINAL STRAW

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this disc! (y) :phones (n)

When purchasing this disc it was due to the fact that I liked some of the songs Snow Patrol had done on the album. I didn't expect it to add much to redbook but since I didn't own the album I thought I be as well pay a bit more and get it on SACD. Glad I did.

Unexpectedly the multi channel mix on this is better than I expected and the music definately sounds sharper in higher resolution. Not an aggresive mix at all times but it adds more to the music and the vocals are clean and clear throughout the disc.

So a surprising SACD release sounds better than I expected it to. Always welcome. Don't know if everyone will be a fan of the music on this so maybe try and hear a track or two before jumping in. If you like it then I would recommend getting hold of this one.

I'll give this one 8/10 (y)

I have this on dualdisc. This is pop/rock that does not leave one dumber for listening to it. The songs are catchy but not saccharine. The mix is not terribly adventurous but enveloping and enjoyable. I give this an eight and I'll be looking for more of their stuff even if it isn't surround or hi-rez.

Hi!
What sound formats does the DualDisc have? Does it add any additional bonus content that would make it worth getting?
The reason I ask is because I could get the SACD for a reasonable price, but would have to shell out more for the DualDisc version. I don't really like DualDiscs much because they don't adhere to any standard, so I'm inclined to go for the SACD right now...
Best regards,
Oliver

Oliver,
The dualdisc has five videos (three song promos, an interview, and a concert clip). The DVD-audio options are MLP surround/stereo, and Dolby surround/stereo. I suppose only if you were a huge fan would these extras really matter. I only picked up the dualdisc because it was 6.99 at yourmusic.com.

Got hold of this today. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The songs are strong and the lyrics very good in places. The surround mix is VERY restrained, to the point of being barely discernible in places.

A "5" and that's because I don't dislike the band itself, or some of the tracks on this, their breakthrough album.

The bad news is the 5.1 mix is virtually non-existent and the fidelity is (as is the redbook CD) all over the place!

Plus this band went onto greater things musically (IMHO) and though this was pretty huge here in the UK, it's not their best, their next album "Eyes Open" is the one that "conquered the world"..!

A waste of plastic and a waste of a surround release, it would have been best left in compressed stereo hell on the CD.

I finally got this on DualDisc as was looking for more modern music to listen to in the car as the dual disk does have the Dvda layer.
I rate this one a 8 over all,as love the band and music, would give this a 10 if it had a better mix but the mix is very average at best.
To me this is a no brainer to buy at current prices as it can be had for $4 including shipping at Amazon's.
As said if you are looking for a great mix to show off surround, this is not that disk. If you are looking for good modern band in the Coldplay meets Keane world then you will enjoy this disk as I enjoy listening to this in lossless as can crank this disk in the car.
If people liked the Better Than Ezra Dvda I think they would like this disk as well for the music. The BTE has a way better mix but I found the BTE is more compressed than this album as a example as I can't listen to BTE at same volume without getting ear fatigue.

Is there a difference between the quality and/or the mix on the dualdisc vs. the sacd? I thought someone here had mentioned the sacd was much cleaner and a better mix (pulling this from memory, but can't find it). I can get the dualdisc used for very cheap, but the sacd is a few dollars more. I would prefer the better of the two, but if both the same, I will buy the cheaper one.

I've got it on both SACD & DualDisc (DVDA), I can try them out for you Blrac (I'm really not a fan of the mix as you can see) but I can check it all out & let you know what differences I can discern if any.

I've got it on both SACD & DualDisc (DVDA), I can try them out for you Blrac (I'm really not a fan of the mix as you can see) but I can check it all out & let you know what differences I can discern if any.

Please let me know what you think if you can even tell a difference. For $4.00 for dualdisc or $11.00 for sacd, I can't really complain either way. I respect your opinion so looking forward to your analysis.

Please let me know what you think if you can even tell a difference. For $4.00 for dualdisc or $11.00 for sacd, I can't really complain either way. I respect your opinion so looking forward to your analysis.

So u can get both for $15? Jump on it! I can hardly tell the difference between the two versions. It's definitely the same mix.

I have to turn the rears up with this one. The sound is a bit muddy as well. 6/10 for me. OK listen.

Just listened to the DualDisc of this. I am not finding the mix to be quite as nominal as others here. Granted it is not super aggressive, but neither is it absent of just Big Stereo. There are definitely discrete elements, although as suggested earlier it might benefit from a few more db in the rears.

For instance, track 10 has some EFX, a guitar, and a synth track that are unique to the rears, and just a touch of vocal and drums, with the main guitars largely absent from the rears. I also really liked track #11.

As noted, this is not particularly a surround demo disc, but I like it and would not hesitate to buy it if you come across a cheap copy. I got mine for $11 and have seen it cheaper in slightly abused condition. I give this a 7, which is not a ringing endorsement, but it does not suck, and would certainly be worthy for any fan of the band.

Back