Quad LP/Tape Poll Snow, Phoebe: Second Childhood [SQ]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SQ of Phoebe Snow - Second Childhood

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 5 -

• 4-

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Second Childhood was Phoebe Snow's second studio album and only quad release, issued solely on SQ matrix-encoded LP in May 1976. The follow-up to her 1975 self-titled album (which featured the top-5 hit "Poetry Man"), Second Childhood ultimately peaked at #13 on the US charts and received a gold certification.

Phoebe Snow Front.jpeg

Columbia PCQ 33952 [SQ LP]
Discogs links: LP
Wiki for the album: Second Childhood

Side 1
  1. Two Fisted Love
  2. Cash In
  3. Inspired Insanity
  4. No Regrets
  5. Sweet Disposition
Side 2
  1. All Over
  2. Isn't It A Shame
  3. Goin' Down For The Third Time
  4. Pre-Dawn Imagination
  5. There's A Boat That's Leavin' Soon For New York

7. Got the SQ the first week it was out, Had been listening to her 1st album. Just upgraded my Marantz to SQA-2B and cart to a newer AT CD-4 w/better bass. Most of my listening to this album has been decoded vinyl directly or transferred to a CBS Coverta-Quad Q8 after decoding. I bought the CD when released, but cannot vouch for SQ encoding being in-tact. Research for another day...

The mix never hit me, nor do some of the tracks. All Over, Two-Fisted Love and Cash In are standout tracks, alone worth the price of admission. They're among her best. I'd describe her as a rock/pop vocalist with a strong jazz style, tinged with blues and folk. And a far better than average songwriter.

The other day, I played a live CD recorded shortly before she passed. Also caught her live in the '90's and she very much still had her chops.

OK, nothing awful about this. With the stellar tracks, still an essential album for a major talent lost too soon.

It's not really fair to rate this quad mix based on how a matrix decode sounds, but there's definitely a diffuse/undefined quality to the SQ LP through both the Involve SM and Fosgate Tate decoders. The rear channels are used heavily for backing vocals and steel guitar throughout "Two Fisted Love", but then it seems like there's nothing unique going on back there for the majority of "Inspired Insanity". Also, that vibrato thing she often does at the end of phrases seem to cause 'pumping' artifacts on the Tate decoder where the vocals audibly shift back-and-forth between front and rear.

Seeing as this title is currently available in the 360RA format on Tidal, hopefully a Dolby Audio version on Apple Music will soon follow🤞

Back