• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

So How Many Oppos Do You Own?

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

jefe1

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
We love our Oppos here just curious about the Oppo journey some of us have gone on.
I started with an Oppo 970. I think it cost well under $200. It did everything and sounded great. Then bluray came out. So I got an Oppo BDP 95. The 970 went into storage in the garage.
The 95 has been great. No plans to upgrade. I passed on the 103 and 105 series. But then 4K happened. And then Oppo announced their departure. I got on the wait list for the 205. And got lucky for the second manufacturing run.
So I got the 205 and the 95 joined its brother in the garage. I'm reluctant to get rid of them. I would have liked a 103 or 5 for the ripping ability, streaming apps and HDCD decoding that the 205 dropped but so be it.

So I have 3 Oppos. How many do you have?

Sonik Wiz

QQ Supporter
We love our Oppos here just curious about the Oppo journey some of us have gone on.
I started with an Oppo 970. I think it cost well under $200. It did everything and sounded great. Then bluray came out. So I got an Oppo BDP 95. The 970 went into storage in the garage.
The 95 has been great. No plans to upgrade. I passed on the 103 and 105 series. But then 4K happened. And then Oppo announced their departure. I got on the wait list for the 205. And got lucky for the second manufacturing run.
So I got the 205 and the 95 joined its brother in the garage. I'm reluctant to get rid of them. I would have liked a 103 or 5 for the ripping ability, streaming apps and HDCD decoding that the 205 dropped but so be it.

So I have 3 Oppos. How many do you have?
Pretty interesting story. Funny how this stuff accumulates. For myself, short answer:1 (count'em one).
My 1st Blu-Ray player was ostensibly 3rd generation Panasonic something model. You might remember as BD players trickled on to the market it took a while for most all the BD player specs to live up to promise. The one with the mirror finish flip down front panel. Purchased from Best Buy for $600 & matched it my 1st Panasonic AE-4000 projector which funny enough cost me $4000.

As 3 LCD HD projectors got much better I set my sights on the new Panny AE-8000 which funny enough cost me 1/2 what the previous one did. A friend of mine was very bullish on Oppo so based on his recommendations I started investigating & it seemed a very good quality/value product so I set my sights on the 105. I wanted confidence in the high quality analog . I felt that the projector had top notch video processing so I did not get the D version.

At 68 yo I am not going to be putting time & $$ into ATMOS or 4K. This is the sweet spot for me & I'm happy as aclam everytime I enjoy my set up.

Ninecats

701 Club - QQ All-Star
One DV-980H. I was on my way of ordering a 105 but ever since I discovered ripping hi res audio, media players and NAS-storage I didn’t see a reason to proceed. I haven’t touched my 980 or regular Pioneer blu-ray player (except for ripping SACD) for over two years. Still I appreciate the build of Oppos, my 980 never bugged, my friend’s got a 105 and it really is a great machine.

Last edited:

ubertrout

Just a 93, although I've had and sold a 980H. Like others I kind of wish I'd gotten a 203, but honestly the Sony X800 works just fine.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
NuForce??!!
I forget the model SW [edit: bdp 83] but they took a basic OPPO and outfitted it with enhanced power supply as well as 'enhanced' analogue outs and charged a premium for it. It was good while it lasted but unfortunately, OPPO will not repair any of their units which have in any way been 'modified!'

ar surround

QQ Supporter
The 205 is my one and only. I hemmed and hawed about allowing a Chinese made piece of equipment in my system. All of my other stuff...processor, amplifiers, speakers, universal player, and even my Sony Blu-ray player were made in the US or Japan. I once tried a Chinese made top-of-the-line Harmon Kardon receiver and was so displeased with the unit that I dropped kicked it to one of the kids after a month of use. The Oppo 205 is light years above that HK receiver in every way.

MikeMonaco

DV-983H, 203 and 205.

I got the DV-983 years ago, it was my main machine for multichannel listening. I still use it now for playing stereo SACD and DVD-A when listening on big Klipsh speakers.

I got the 203 and 205 just before they sold out...literally. After the EOL announcement I was on the list with OPPO should they ever make more...and they did. I bought one of each. I use the 205 in my main setup, including streaming from NAS. The 203 is rarely used in our living room.