So How Many Oppos Do You Own?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
We love our Oppos here just curious about the Oppo journey some of us have gone on.
I started with an Oppo 970. I think it cost well under $200. It did everything and sounded great. Then bluray came out. So I got an Oppo BDP 95. The 970 went into storage in the garage.
The 95 has been great. No plans to upgrade. I passed on the 103 and 105 series. But then 4K happened. And then Oppo announced their departure. I got on the wait list for the 205. And got lucky for the second manufacturing run.
So I got the 205 and the 95 joined its brother in the garage. I'm reluctant to get rid of them. I would have liked a 103 or 5 for the ripping ability, streaming apps and HDCD decoding that the 205 dropped but so be it.

So I have 3 Oppos. How many do you have?

We love our Oppos here just curious about the Oppo journey some of us have gone on.
I started with an Oppo 970. I think it cost well under $200. It did everything and sounded great. Then bluray came out. So I got an Oppo BDP 95. The 970 went into storage in the garage.
The 95 has been great. No plans to upgrade. I passed on the 103 and 105 series. But then 4K happened. And then Oppo announced their departure. I got on the wait list for the 205. And got lucky for the second manufacturing run.
So I got the 205 and the 95 joined its brother in the garage. I'm reluctant to get rid of them. I would have liked a 103 or 5 for the ripping ability, streaming apps and HDCD decoding that the 205 dropped but so be it.

So I have 3 Oppos. How many do you have?
Pretty interesting story. Funny how this stuff accumulates. For myself, short answer:1 (count'em one).
My 1st Blu-Ray player was ostensibly 3rd generation Panasonic something model. You might remember as BD players trickled on to the market it took a while for most all the BD player specs to live up to promise. The one with the mirror finish flip down front panel. Purchased from Best Buy for $600 & matched it my 1st Panasonic AE-4000 projector which funny enough cost me $4000.

As 3 LCD HD projectors got much better I set my sights on the new Panny AE-8000 which funny enough cost me 1/2 what the previous one did. A friend of mine was very bullish on Oppo so based on his recommendations I started investigating & it seemed a very good quality/value product so I set my sights on the 105. I wanted confidence in the high quality analog . I felt that the projector had top notch video processing so I did not get the D version.

At 68 yo I am not going to be putting time & $$ into ATMOS or 4K. This is the sweet spot for me & I'm happy as aclam everytime I enjoy my set up.

One DV-980H. I was on my way of ordering a 105 but ever since I discovered ripping hi res audio, media players and NAS-storage I didn’t see a reason to proceed. I haven’t touched my 980 or regular Pioneer blu-ray player (except for ripping SACD) for over two years. Still I appreciate the build of Oppos, my 980 never bugged, my friend’s got a 105 and it really is a great machine.

Last edited:
The 205 is my one and only. I hemmed and hawed about allowing a Chinese made piece of equipment in my system. All of my other stuff...processor, amplifiers, speakers, universal player, and even my Sony Blu-ray player were made in the US or Japan. I once tried a Chinese made top-of-the-line Harmon Kardon receiver and was so displeased with the unit that I dropped kicked it to one of the kids after a month of use. The Oppo 205 is light years above that HK receiver in every way.

DV-983H, 203 and 205.

I got the DV-983 years ago, it was my main machine for multichannel listening. I still use it now for playing stereo SACD and DVD-A when listening on big Klipsh speakers.

I got the 203 and 205 just before they sold out...literally. After the EOL announcement I was on the list with OPPO should they ever make more...and they did. I bought one of each. I use the 205 in my main setup, including streaming from NAS. The 203 is rarely used in our living room.

Back