So How Many Oppos Do You Own?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three units for myself at the moment; but actually five. I started with a BDP-93 from a QQ member 3-4 years ago. Then decided to buy a second BDP-93 for the quad system. I had traded my Denon UDP 1701BT to our auto technician about 3 years ago, but it was hit or miss on what it would play (I liked to make DVD-A discs with screen graphics but this interfered with some players compatibility so I quit that for now). After a couple years of frustration and some complaints about some discs not playing, I decided he should have a BDP-93 too so I'd know it would play everything! I took the Denon back and it's sitting on a shelf. Then I decided that my friend Scott out in Portland needed to have one and I found one in Seattle and they shipped it directly to him. So that is why I have 'five' actually. Working on external hard drives now for both systems at this very moment.

EDIT: all that and I left out the BDP103!

Last edited:
Two: 95 & 203. One day after they announced the bad news, I ordered the 203. I regret not buying the 205, they were available at that moment. The 95 outperforms the 203 amazingly well with its two dedicated stereo analogue outputs! This is used to listen to stereo music and to play region B & C blurays (I installed a mod). The 203 is mainly for multichannel music and 4K movies. Happy to own them 🥳

I only have one, the 205. I’m a bit late to surround music, but (fortunately) I decided in 2017 to start the process at the source with the Oppo (on the basis that the reviews were so great), with an eye to its audio capabilities over the 203, and deciding on a 7.1 setup. I live in Oz, got it with a multi-region modification for a bit extra, so its full price was AUS$2468, so about $1700 in US Dollars in Sept. 2017. I wanted to take advantage of its analogue 7.1 outputs (including its stereo XLR), so hunted around for a pre-amp and a power amp. I bought an Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 first, and ran the Oppo as a pre-amp for a while, before taking the plunge and getting about the only matching 7.1 XLR analogue pre-amp that had pass through (so the Oppo did all the DAC work still), as well as bass management (that was the Parasound Halo P7).

I also have it hooked up to an SVS PB-2000 sub, but the last remaining upgrade will be the floor speakers and a 4K OLED telly. I was going to emigrate to Canada to marry my lady about now, but COVID has put a stop to all that. When I finally get there, I’m looking at the Tekton Double Impacts (amazingly, she actually likes the look of them, so WAF is high, and her house, like many Canadians, has a basement).

So I guess I was lucky that the time I was looking for my first fully capable disc player was after the 205 reviews came out, but before Oppo shut their doors and the price went through the roof as availability dried up.

I only have one, the 205. I’m a bit late to surround music, but (fortunately) I decided in 2017 to start the process at the source with the Oppo (on the basis that the reviews were so great), with an eye to its audio capabilities over the 203, and deciding on a 7.1 setup. I live in Oz, got it with a multi-region modification for a bit extra, so its full price was AUS$2468, so about $1700 in US Dollars in Sept. 2017. I wanted to take advantage of its analogue 7.1 outputs (including its stereo XLR), so hunted around for a pre-amp and a power amp. I bought an Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 first, and ran the Oppo as a pre-amp for a while, before taking the plunge and getting about the only matching 7.1 XLR analogue pre-amp that had pass through (so the Oppo did all the DAC work still), as well as bass management (that was the Parasound Halo P7).

I also have it hooked up to an SVS PB-2000 sub, but the last remaining upgrade will be the floor speakers and a 4K OLED telly. I was going to emigrate to Canada to marry my lady about now, but COVID has put a stop to all that. When I finally get there, I’m looking at the Tekton Double Impacts (amazingly, she actually likes the look of them, so WAF is high, and her house, like many Canadians, has a basement).

So I guess I was lucky that the time I was looking for my first fully capable disc player was after the 205 reviews came out, but before Oppo shut their doors and the price went through the roof as availability dried up.
🥂🍻🍸🍾 Here’s to wishing your wedding goes as smoothly as the processing on that sweet 205:cool::dance

3, and I still have all 3. I have a DV-970HD, BDP-80, & BDP-103.
The 970 w/custom firmware plays SACD-R, the 80 does also straight outta da box, and the 103 allows for SACD ripping.
I bought the 970 as a refurb from Oppo, the 80 brand new, the 103 I found on Ebay.
It was with the 970 that I discovered my WalMart bought cd of DSOTM was also a mch "SACD". Yep, I was clueless. :unsure:

I have a 105D (waste of $100 for the "D," but it doesn't have to be used) that replaced a DVD player that I sold once I got the Blu-ray

I got a 103D after Oppo left. Got a decent price and didn't worry about the Darbee. Always been kind of a purist and don't want to alter the original signal. I never noticed much when I tried the demo anyway...

But after reading the 103D thread at AVS, I got a better understanding of Darbee. I tried it w/ adjusted expectations and now I love it. It's very subtle- have mine set on 40; recommendations are 35-45- but it really does add some apparent detail and especially adds a greater sense of depth.

It works best on better quality sources. And it is subtle, but once I understood what to look for, it became a great addition. You may want to re-evaluate it...

Just had an 83 for many years, then went off the deep end.

Was saving my pennies for an upgrade and had my eye on a 203 when Oppo announced their demise. So I bought a 203, and then quickly another for a backup. Put my name on the list for the last run of the 205's too. I then got an email from Oppo saying I won the 205 lotto. So quickly sold both 203's for crazy money and recouped enough to pay for the 205 and also a 103 on ebay. I then bought another 103 because it was a steal on eBay at the time. While the 203's and 205's were all the rage on eBay the 103's were going for cheap. I also picked up some hacked firmware for the 103's to allow reading of ISO's, SACD-R, etc.

My wife just rolled her eyes when another Oppo box came or went. For a while it looked like an Oppo shipping warehouse around here.

So in the end I still got the 83, a hacked 103 and 103D, and a shiny new 205.
A happy ending for sure.

Back