So How Many Oppos Do You Own?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For any aussies, there is an 83SE on gumtree for $50 that wont power on, not sure if anyone here is technically inclined as i dont think oppo does an out of warranty fix on these.

I have a 980H, 83 and 103 and am happy with them

I also was late to the OPPO party. But now I have three; a 205 and a 203 and some red PM3 headphones.
Previously I had Pioneer from back in the Laserdisc days through DVD to Blu Ray and Sony ES CD and Blu Rays.
My main music player is still the Pioneer S989AVIs as I love my multichannel SACDs and I prefer the digital iLink interface into my Sony TA-DA9000ES digital amp.
The 205 is the best ever player and gets used for movies or headphone listening.
It is also for non-SACD multichannel via the analog outputs.
I like to have more than one player hooked up in case of disk issues, preferably from another manufacturer.
So the 205 is backed up by a Pioneer LX500. In my opinion both the 203 and 205 are much better players.
In the bedroom the 203 is backed up by a Pioneer LX58.

Oppo Digital BDP-93 Universal Blu-ray player (region free)

Oppo Digital DV-983H Universal DVD player (region free)

and,

Panasonic DP-UB820 4K UltraHD Blu-ray player (region free)

and,

back up DVD, SACD, DVD Audio player,

Pioneer DV-563A Universal DVD player (region free)

and,

Sony PlayStation 3 60GB (First Original Edition) Blu-ray, DVD, SACD player

and,

as soon the Sony PlayStation 5 be on the market will be mine.

Regards,

Last edited:
Just the 103 -- bought because the latest players were abandoning HDCD! Love it. I really need to investigate the ripping ability . . . I just have so many tune-filled external hard drives stored (whose drivers need legacy computers) that I can't imagine going down that path again.

Then there are the 100s of burnt DVDs. . . .

I got a 103D after Oppo left. Got a decent price and didn't worry about the Darbee. Always been kind of a purist and don't want to alter the original signal. I never noticed much when I tried the demo anyway...

But after reading the 103D thread at AVS, I got a better understanding of Darbee. I tried it w/ adjusted expectations and now I love it. It's very subtle- have mine set on 40; recommendations are 35-45- but it really does add some apparent detail and especially adds a greater sense of depth.

It works best on better quality sources. And it is subtle, but once I understood what to look for, it became a great addition. You may want to re-evaluate it...
I fiddled around with it for a few weeks, but it always seemed like those "laser" photos you used to see everywhere in the '90s. Spectacular, to be sure, but just not very real looking, IMNSHO.

In my case, "it's just the one Oppo, actually..." :p

1593723981292.png

A solitary 103D, purchased two years ago, when - as mentioned above - all attention was focussed on the 20x models. I had three main reasons to purchase it: BD playback, SACD ISO ripping capability, and its (then) value as a high-quality UDP. My first UDP - a trusty, awesome Marantz DV9600 - is tucked safely in its box, along with a spare new laser pickup assembly. :cool:

A DV-980H, retired for years but put back into service in the bedroom after I replaced its drive belt; a BDP83, sold a couple years ago; a refurbished BDP-93 bought directly from Oppo; a BDP-95, in storage for now; a UHD-203, sold to help pay for a 205; and the UHD-205.

The 93 is routed into the 205 via HDMI input (205 is analog out to my NAD receiver.) That configuration allows me to use the 93 as a transport to play SACD-Rs, HDCD, Blu-ray folders, and Cinavia-crippled Blu-ray copies.

Needless to say, a longtime Oppo fanboy.

Yep I connected the Sony x800 hdmi out to oppo 103 hdmi in...yep can use x800 as a "drive" to keep wear n tear off oppo laser... :)

Gonna use the 103 for a bit then put back in box to save for future use and reinstall 203 for daily use...gonna also pickup a couple used cheap older players and use for different scenarios...

Want to experiment w different brands / sound signatures...

I also have a sony x800.
I never thought to do this. I stream apps thru the sony. Would it work streaming an app on the sony sending it to the 205 and have the 205 decode the 5.1 from the streams and send it out to the speakers?
I was never successful getting the 205 to decode surround from my sony tv over air broadcasts or streamed apps.

I also have a sony x800.
I never thought to do this. I stream apps thru the sony. Would it work streaming an app on the sony sending it to the 205 and have the 205 decode the 5.1 from the streams and send it out to the speakers?
I was never successful getting the 205 to decode surround from my sony tv over air broadcasts or streamed apps.

I believe it will...I don't stream...I'm mainly a disc spinner and occasionally a file flac USB player...I dont even have a decent computer atm

I so wish I could've gotten ahold of a 205

3 faithful Oppos !!!

1. an old faithful 971H, in my office for 5.1 sound from DVDs
2. a cheaply picked up 981HD for 5.1 DVDs and SACDs in my beach house
3. a slightly used 105 for 5.1 BRs, SACDs and DVDs as pride of place in my home lounge room

Note that the common factor is 5.1 sound ... I only retain physical media for top surround sound, apart from a few 5.1 downloads. SACDs still seem to be the best option for top sound and fine production techniques, even if a failure as a commercial media. Finally, just about all commercial physical media are dead ... but SACDs still offer top results, and still dribble out from niche providers like 2L and Melba.

Back