So How Many Oppos Do You Own?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 faithful Oppos !!!

1. an old faithful 971H, in my office for 5.1 sound from DVDs
2. a cheaply picked up 981HD for 5.1 DVDs and SACDs in my beach house
3. a slightly used 105 for 5.1 BRs, SACDs and DVDs as pride of place in my home lounge room

Note that the common factor is 5.1 sound ... I only retain physical media for top surround sound, apart from a few 5.1 downloads. SACDs still seem to be the best option for top sound and fine production techniques, even if a failure as a commercial media. Finally, just about all commercial physical media are dead ... but SACDs still offer top results, and still dribble out from niche providers like 2L and Melba.
1st post @amco ?
Welcome to the QQ forum !

Hello,

Looking around the home...it looks like I have 6 Oppo's total.

1) UDP-205 - Purchased when I heard that they were going out of business. This one is in my main home theater, and sounds great. Primarily used for movies and multichannel music playback from USB drives.
2) BDP-103 - This is in my home office - primarily for ripping SACDs. Also used for movies in the family room.
3) BDP-93 - This has been moved to the kids' theater - primarily due to the USB drive limit of 2TB. Still sounds good.
4) BDP-95 - This one is in storage for now. When I got the 203, this unit is being saved for a rainy day when no one can buy players anymore.
5) BDP-83 - The first Oppo BluRay purchased. Works great and sounds good, except I needed to be able to play multichannel FLACs from hard drives. Used in the master bedroom.
6) DV-980H DVD Player - This is in the guest room 5.1 system. This is my first Oppo purchase after hearing about them on AVS forums.

The ability to play both SACDs and DVD-As has always been a huge selling point for me. Also being a small USA company make them the company that I support.

Happy 4th Of July.

Also being a small USA company make them the company that I support.

Don't shoot the messenger, but Oppo is a Chinese company, not American. All the products were designed and manufactured in Asia.. Oppo America is only the USA sales/service branch, just like nearly all the Asian manufacturers have.

Don't shoot the messenger, but Oppo is a Chinese company, not American. All the products were designed and manufactured in Asia.. Oppo America is only the USA sales/service branch, just like nearly all the Asian manufacturers have.

I bet alot of people have NO CLUE just how much stuff is actually made / manufactured in other countries...he'll China has even now been losing their mfring jobs to Thailand India Pakistan etc...

I'm not so sure that is correct...my understanding was that the design was primarily derived from the efforts of the USA team in California..

I guess from my perspective supporting a small firm in Menlo Park, CA vs the Sonys/Pioneers of the world was something worthwhile. Parts do come from others parts of the world, though my understanding is that the design was done in the US.

I would never shoot the messenger, it all just adds to people's knowledge base.

According to the Wikipedia, Oppo Digital were "an independently operated overseas division of Chinese company BBK Electronics".

Last edited:
Well we live in a global economy. You would likely have no electronics or few you could afford if the Chinese didn't sell us mischmetal or the extracted rare earth elements.

EDIT: OR to put that differently to fit the conversation, if China refused to sell us those Oppos, etc, BECAUSE they contain parts made with mischmetal it would not be good.

Last edited:
I've been hanging back, mainly out of embarrassment--I've got absolutely no business owning four of these things. But once I saw others copping to having four (or more!), my blush faded a little. I started with a DV-980H, then graduated to a BDP-103 when the 980 got noisy and I wanted to play Blu-Rays. When my number came up in the Oppo FOMO lottery, I swallowed hard and shelled out for a UDP-205, even though neither my system nor my budget could justify it. (I'd been saving for a more budget-appropriate 203, but missed out. Luckily I do the bookkeeping in my household.) And then a few months later, for no good reason except that it fell into my lap, I added a lightly used BDP-93 for cheap. (I guess I was hoping it might have the old firmware that allowed for ISO playback, but that's where my luck ran out.) So the 103 and the 205 are in service, while the 980 and the 93 stand and wait.

A dopey technical question for those of you who use your Oppo as a media player, in conjunction with a USB or network drive or whatever: I use a laptop for that sort of thing on my main system, but my 205 is in a home office where I don't have that capability, and more and more I find myself popping a thumb drive into its front port. Some people have implied that they're happy to do this so that they can still benefit from the Oppo's superior DAC while saving wear and tear on the laser. But I always thought you were clocking hours on the laser every time you turned the machine on, regardless of whether the laser was actively reading a disc. Am I wrong about that?

Last edited:
I've been hanging back, mainly out of embarrassment--I've got absolutely no business owning four of these things. But once I saw others copping to having four (or more!), my blush faded a little. I started with a DV-980H, then graduated to a BDP-103 when the 980 got noisy and I wanted to play Blu-Rays. When my number came up in the Oppo FOMO lottery, I swallowed hard and shelled out for a UDP-205, even though neither my system nor my budget could justify it. (I'd been saving for a more budget-appropriate 203, but missed out. Luckily I do the bookkeeping in my household.) And then a few months later, for no good reason except that it fell into my lap, I added a lightly used BDP-93 for cheap. (I guess I was hoping it might have the old firmware that allowed for ISO playback, but that's where my luck ran out.) So the 103 and the 205 are in service, while the 980 and the 93 stand and wait.

A dopey technical question for those of you who use your Oppo as a media player, in conjunction with a USB or network drive or whatever: I use a laptop for that sort of thing on my main system, but my 205 is in a home office where I don't have that capability, and more and more I find myself popping a thumb drive into its front port. Some people have implied that they're happy to do this so that they can still benefit from the Oppo's superior DAC while saving wear and tear on the laser. But I always thought you were clocking hours on the laser every time you turned the machine on, regardless of whether the laser was actively reading a disc. Am I wrong about that?
All I gots is to shoot back this:

https://www.quora.com/Does-the-PS4-laser-in-the-disc-drive-stay-on-even-when-theres-no-disc-in

I'm not so sure that is correct...my understanding was that the design was primarily derived from the efforts of the USA team in California..
Clint,
I had heard the same thing you did regarding the design/engineering being done by the Oppo USA team then the actual manufacturing in China.
Oppo made an excellent product through out. Right down to the manuals being printed on quality paper.
BTW, I have 2 Oppo's. A 103 refurbished, purchased directly from Oppo & a 203 purchased on the private market as NOS. Would have liked to have gotten a 205 but I missed the boat on those. 205 prices are now virtually out-of-this world.:(
The 103 being my everyday machine..

Last edited:
I only have one OPPO, a 205 I bought new directly through the OPPO website in February 2018.
Buying directly from OPPO was surprisingly the cheapest option at that time.
The OPPO office in Mountain View CA. is about 10 minutes from my work office, so I picked it up there saving on shipping charges too.
Current 205 prices are shocking, compared to what I paid just two years ago. I really got lucky with my 205 purchase.
The 205 replaced a 12 year old Denon DVD-2200 that is not Blu-Ray capable.

Back