So How Many Oppos Do You Own?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oppo Digital - US Company.
Design done in US. Gear assembled in China.
The reason they shut down. Chinese parent company makes far more money utilizing their assembly lines making phones than universal disc players.

Currently owned:
DP-80 - region free
UDP 105
UDP 203
UDP 205(2)

Formerly owned:
UDP 93
UDP 95

I bought my first Oppo yesterday off eBay. BDP-83. I think I got a good deal at $200 including shipping. Pictures look good. Has remote, all the paperwork and original box. We'll see.

Since I plan to connect it to a vintage receiver, is there a way to set it to be a 4.0 rather than 5.1 or 7.1?

What would you recommend for my first multichannel disc purchase? 🙂 Need to show this baby off!

I bought my first Oppo yesterday off eBay. BDP-83. I think I got a good deal at $200 including shipping. Pictures look good. Has remote, all the paperwork and original box. We'll see.

Since I plan to connect it to a vintage receiver, is there a way to set it to be a 4.0 rather than 5.1 or 7.1?

What would you recommend for my first multichannel disc purchase? 🙂 Need to show this baby off!

Yes. Set the speaker configuration to 4.0 and 5.1 surround mixes will be down mixed to 4.0, no problem.

Congratulations 🎊🍾🎉
I’d say just peruse the first couple pages of the Polls, and pick something you know you’d love!

If you can find it, Toy Matinee. Comes in DTS CD & DVDA.

All of the DV sacds r in Quad 4.0

The 2018 Japanese Quad SACD release of Bitches Brew or the Parsons Quad mix of the Dark Side of The Moon

Well I first bought the 103D...then when Oppo left the market I was lucky to grab a 203 from a retailer in those final days...I got the 205 in the Oppo sweepstakes...but I decided to sell it for a modest profit..the proceeds paid for the 203 so I was happy....I had no plans on using analog connections to take advantage of the improved audio section of the 205...so there was no real reason to have the 205....now lately with all the talk about the Oppo on here...I thought it might be the right time to get another machine...so I grabbed another 103D that is in mint condition...it looks better than the one I had...and then I had an idea...maybe I should grab a 105 as I'm going to have to start a new system from the ground up...although I can't use my equipment at all right now...I need to get a 105 now while it's still possible...so I did......looking back I should have kept the 205...but my mind changed about using the analog connections..so in the future when I set up my system I will have something new to experience... so I have FOUR now :cool:
IMG_1943.JPG

Last edited:
Well I first bought the 103D...then when Oppo left the market I was lucky to grab a 203 from a retailer in those final days...I got the 205 in the Oppo sweepstakes...but I decided to sell it for a modest profit..the proceeds paid for the 203 so I was happy....I had no plans on using analog connections to take advantage of the improved audio section of the 205...so there was no real reason to have the 205....now lately with all the talk about the Oppo on here...I thought it might be the right time to get another machine...so I grabbed another 103D that is in mint condition...it looks better than the one I had...and then I had an idea...maybe I should grab a 105 as I'm going to have to start a new system from the ground up...although I can't use my equipment at all right now...I need to get a 105 now while it's still possible...so I did......looking back I should have kept the 205...but my mind changed about using the analog connections..so in the future when I set up my system I will have something new to experience... so I have FOUR now :cool: View attachment 54072
That’s a Pretty long review, in all the confusion I’m not sure how many oppo’s you have

“I know what you're thinking. Did he have six oppo’s or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is the best universal media player and would blow your ears clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

1595061395590.jpeg

Last edited:

983- This one is currently in my parents 'rack' and get used for DVD.

BDP83 - Used with the upstairs TV and soundbar. Used a couple times a year as most things are streamed up 'there'. The loading tray was repaired and the machine cleaned by Oppo just prior to their exit.

UDP203 - Bought for 4K playback on the big system downstairs. I sold my 105 and pocketed $500 after purchase. In hindsight, if I had known Oppo was getting out of the business, I would have hung on to the 105.

Someday I need to figure out how to rip SACDS and DVDA's.

I have two 83s. a standard for the TV and a Special Edition on my old quad-stereo system out in the den.

QUESTION to the Oppo knowledgeable here... what was the last Oppo model that will decode HDCDs? I have many of them.

I have two 83s. a standard for the TV and a Special Edition on my old quad-stereo system out in the den.

QUESTION to the Oppo knowledgeable here... what was the last Oppo model that will decode HDCDs? I have many of them.

Here is a thread that gives a lot of information about the various Oppo models...I was right about the 103/105 being the last models to decode HDCDs

Back