So I need a new CD-4 compatible cartridge....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
I have a Shure M24H. Just bought a "new" receiver, Sansui QRX-7001, and I was thinking the CD-4 demodulator might be messed up. But the more I played around with it, the more I'm thinking maybe the cartridge is not doing what it was supposed to. Regular stereo albums sounded a little better with my other cartridge, a Stanton 680. Well, I just snapped the stylus on the Shure so..... I have to replace either the stylus for the M24H (around $180 or real or $90 for a generic) or just get a new cartridge.

Is there any new cartridge with a Shibata style tip that will work with CD-4 albums? I'd rather go with new if possible, rather than buying something off eBay that's used and I'm back to square one wondering whether it's the cartridge or demodulator.

I see at the Audio Technica VM750SH has a Shibata stylus, but not sure it can handle the frequency response.

(I'm just getting back into the old school quad after about 20 years without.)

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Get yourself an Audio technical AT440MLb. Be aware that it's published specs do not cover the range of frequencies that are required for CD-4, but I assure you, it will work and work good. It has a microline stylus that tracks the CD-4 high frequency subcarriers. You will have to track it a little heavy, around 1.75 grams to get it to work best. The published tracking force I think is about 1.5 grams, so it's not that far off. They're about $300.00 on Amazon. When I bought mine, it was half that. I have the AT440MLa. Both work good. You can buy them brand new. Play about three stereo or SQ records to break it in. When you start playing CD-4 records, the more you play the better it will sound.
The Quadfather

P.S. The styli last a long-long time before they will no longer track CD-4 records. I bought mine, heck, it must be 15 years ago. I'm on the second stylus and it's still going strong. Scratchy CD-4 is a thing of the past for me.

Last edited:
Back