So... I'm updating the Bedroom system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
My bedroom system is stereo only, but was in need of an update. It currently consists of a 10 year old Logitech 2.1 PC system. Something similar to this:
1607697220354.png

Line level in, no remote control. Sounds OK but definitely not Hi-Fi in the least. I fed it with music from Kodi via a cheap laptop and an aftermarket Bluetooth converter.

Based on a suggestion from a QQ member, I purchased an Amazon Firestick 4k during Black Friday for $26 or so. After verifying that I could load a full copy of Kodi onto it and run the excellent Aeon Nox Silvo skin with no problems (it does this admirably, better than the laptop ever did), I wanted to look into upgrading the rest of the system. I did not want to spend much. So this was all on the cheap.

So after some research I settled on this
Topping MX3

And a pair of these
Pioneer-PSP-BS22-LR

The Topping includes a 40wpc class D power amp, headphone amp, and DAC. It will accept bluetooth, USB, digital coax, digital optical, and analog RCA inputs. It is remote controlled, offers bass/treble controls, sub output (alas... no crossover) and auto off. Sounds perfect for my needs. It gets generally good reviews. but still cant be considered high performance. At the price of $130, it just seems too good to be true. It's half the price of an entry level AV receiver.

The Pioneers have been well reviewed everywhere. The $120/pair shipped cost is mind blowing.

I'm anxious to see what can be had for a total outlay of $250. Once I get it up and running I will report back.

Anyone have any experience with this gear?

Back