So much for Discogs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another reason that I am adamantly opposed to this change is this, when I receive an order I have to first locate the recording, then I like to double check the condition visually or in rare cases will actually play test first.

I make it a point to never buy from any seller that visually grades vinyl. Been burned too many times by noisy records that look "excellent".

I've easily combined shipping on multiple items. Haven't received one complaint about shipping costs, domestic or international...
Any time I've tried to combine multiple items on International Shipping.....going through Ebay's GSP, they always state they won't do it. Maybe you just ship direct, that's the only way I can think it could be done

Any time I've tried to combine multiple items on International Shipping.....going through Ebay's GSP, they always state they won't do it. Maybe you just ship direct, that's the only way I can think it could be done
I didn't say international combined! IIRC, I've only done it domestic.

I didn't say international combined! IIRC, I've only done it domestic.
Ok, thought you mentioned International? Speaking on another topic.....saw your video this morning on The Flaming Lips, well done as always!! Not my cup of tea though. But, when are you going to post your review on the Doobies Quadio, or do you have to wait til it's been released? It would only make sense if you did wait ;)

I make it a point to never buy from any seller that visually grades vinyl. Been burned too many times by noisy records that look "excellent".
I would be willing to play test any album if a buyer requested it, and I would definitely play test any high priced item. For the majority that are being sold for $4.00 to $8.00 visual is usually fine, you can tell albums that have hardly been played no major visual scratches and glossy lustre, mint looking covers are usually another clue.

Just to expand a bit on what you are saying, yesterday I was ripping some vinyl to the hard drive, One album that looks absolutely mint skipped on the best track. I've looked with a magnifying glass to see if it's a scratch or a piece of dirt, but I don't see anything! My only recourse is to look for another copy, perhaps a different pressing just in case it's a manufacturing defect. I don't fault the seller in any way though.

Would you have bought the LP if the seller told you, "It looks fine, but it does skip on the best track"? I suppose a manufacturing defect that cannot be seen could occur, but it seems likely it would have happened to many (all?) copies in that press run. If that were the case, the records would have been melted or recalled or someone would have posted on the net that the records are defective. Hope you are able to find a good copy.

Would you have bought the LP if the seller told you, "It looks fine, but it does skip on the best track"? I suppose a manufacturing defect that cannot be seen could occur, but it seems likely it would have happened to many (all?) copies in that press run. If that were the case, the records would have been melted or recalled or someone would have posted on the net that the records are defective. Hope you are able to find a good copy.
It could apply to all copies in that run, I'v got a copy of Grand Funk Railroad "E Pluribus Funk" where the left channel disappears half way through side 2. My brother bought the same LP from a record club when it first came out and it has the same defect. So it can happen.

So the latest news from Discogs is "Our Shipping Policies Timeline Has Been Extended to November 1". Because the response has been so incredible they had to extend their deadline, give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was actually waiting to see what was going to happen once the deadline passed and so many of us have refused to update anything. We will have to wait another month to maybe see.

Like any monster in the digital era once it obtains the lions share of the market it will always turn and squeeze it's following.
support mom & pop business or sit back and be squeezed to death.

Policy should favor the buyer. My money spends 100% NOS, SEALED, MINT, 100% of the time. That's rarely the case with any physical product, pretty much ever. If transparency in pricing is a problem then the lack of it is enough of a warning sign to pretty much steer away. But, that goes for the selling platforms also.

Policy should favor the buyer. My money spends 100% NOS, SEALED, MINT, 100% of the time. That's rarely the case with any physical product, pretty much ever. If transparency in pricing is a problem then the lack of it is enough of a warning sign to pretty much steer away. But, that goes for the selling platforms also.
If you are an individual selling a few used items it's not worth your while to set shipping prices ahead of time. Customers can always request a shipping quote first, or cancel the order if the shipping adds too much to the cost. Shipping costs vary so much that in order to not lose money you would have to set prices to what you would expect to be the most expensive shipping price, thus ripping people off or having to refund the excess, which Discogs and Paypal will still take their out cut of. Larger sellers selling new product have would have a bit more wiggle room on shipping, they can get cheaper shipping prices as well.

So yesterday my account was still showing all items available. Today they are marked as not available in Canada (or anywhere). That's how it will stay unless Discogs changes their policy. Under sellers terms I added a note that if people want to buy, contact me directly. That will cut Discogs out entirely, it's also likely that it violates their rules but who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back