So, What's up with these "Quadradisc" CD's?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Quadfather

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I saw a set of Pink Floyd CD's on Ebay that were clearly marked with the Quadradisc logo. Are these surround? If so, how encoded? DTS, Dolby AC3, Red book quad? If it's red book, then i guess you would need a DVD audio player or blue ray to decode them? Or are they SQ? Or just stereo with a quad mix? Does anybody know?

Thanks,
The Quadfather

I would guess bootlegs. You would need a bootleg decoder.

Noooooo, Noooooo ... please don't say that! Now we are going to start another eyes-rolled-back-in-the-skull technical thread seeking to analyze why this theoretical bootleg decoder of yours will not work unless it employs a 'VonStooben Comparator Circuit with a Mass of No Greater than 128.46 mg per Meter of Inductitude' ... complete with white papers and a screaming geek fest. For the love of god, why? Have we not suffered enough?

I assume you are asking about this "Atom Heart Mother" bootleg.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pink-Floyd-Atom...140564570835?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item20ba4d22d3

Probably sourced from the Q8 but I have no idea how the disc is encoded, maybe somebody with first hand knowledge of this bootleg can comment. The Quadradisc name is just meaningless nonsense stamped on the CD. It isn't worth anything, much less $100. I have no idea how anybody can know if a bootleg is rare but it is rare that someone would list a worthless bootleg for $100. It might be some sort of quad encode or it might not, I will never know. It isn't listed as DTS or Dolby Digital so it may be you need 3 CD players playing all 3 discs synced up connected to 5.0 analog input. Disc 2 is mentioned as front center and disc 3 as rear surround, whatever it is, I have spent too much time looking at it already. If anybody buys, they need to have their head examined.

seems homemade conversion been done from Q8. CD-4 with this album wasn't ever released.
presumably first disc contains stereo, downmixed from quad tracks.
when Audospectrum's DVDA version of Q8 easily can be found on internet for many years now,
doesn't make much sense to pay $100 bucks for this one which technically impossible perfectly
sinc. for realtime playback from two players.

I have an officially released CD from RCA Spain of Mancini/Severinsen "Brass, Ivory & Strings" that has the Quadradisc logo. I think they confused CD w/ CD-4. Aren't they the same thing? Yes, the same, only different. LOL!!

Linda
Queen of Quadrasonic

I have an officially released CD from RCA Spain of Mancini/Severinsen "Brass, Ivory & Strings" that has the Quadradisc logo. I think they confused CD w/ CD-4. Aren't they the same thing? Yes, the same, only different. LOL!!

Linda
Queen of Quadrasonic

well rca quad lp's were cd-4...but they probably just used the old artwork in a hurry for the cd cover without checking

Pink Floyd were always EMI Harvest in the UK or EMI Harvest /Captitol/Columbia for the rest of the world, so when you see quadradisc logos you know it's going to be a fake

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. AHM was released in SQ and was never released in Quadradisc.
Garbage it is!

The Quadfather

Here is a bootleg Atom Heart Mother "Quadradisc" for sale out of Italy:
PINK FLOYD ATOM HEART MOTHER QUADROPHONIC MOTHER 2LP GATEFOLD COVER RED VINYL | eBay
atmbootleg.jpg

atmbootleg2.jpg

It apparently has "front channel mix" and "rear channel mix" on separate discs, mixdown and live performance.

Linda
Queen of Quadrasonic

And the irony, QUAD GODDESS, is that all these years later, I am currently playing said disc from Dutton Vocalion in superb 4.0 QUAD from the original QUAD mastertapes in stunning fidelity!

Back