Some final thoughts on the Acura ELS DVD-A systems (2004-2014/2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what stops you to swap audio system from older vehicle to new one?
That sounds like a business opportunity to me! I tend to keep cars much longer than most (a '97 Integra until late 2013) and have even thought about buying a reserve unit for my 2012 TSX.

Update: I know that I previously stated that I'm sticking with my 2012 TL/Tech/ELS, because od DVD/A playback
Well, tomorrow, I'm taking delivery of a 2015 TLX/SH-AWD/Tech/ELS; couldn't resist the deal, & the car looks awesome.
No DVD/A's, but it does play DTS 5.1 Surround, & everything in between; guess I'll have to suffer; lol

Same question with the dts dvd or DTS cd, and the question can a dvd-a be converted to whatever dts that is, or does the watermark issue still remain in the new tlx?

(I would love to eventually transition my TL to TLX, but really would love to continue my 5.1 addiction).

DVDA can be be extracted and converted to any other multichannel format. Just need the proper software. ie AnyDVD HD, DVD Audio extractor and Audiomuxer with the necessary DTS encoder.

That sounds like a business opportunity to me! I tend to keep cars much longer than most (a '97 Integra until late 2013) and have even thought about buying a reserve unit for my 2012 TSX.

The problem with this idea is the same reason that car radio's are rarely stolen anymore! Todays car audio systems are so integrated into the electronics of the car, they are virtually useless in any other vehicle.

The problem with this idea is the same reason that car radio's are rarely stolen anymore! Todays car audio systems are so integrated into the electronics of the car, they are virtually useless in any other vehicle.
cannot agree with this one. there can be obstacle to fit the unit into place but not with utilization if its playback functions

Piggybacking off what elmer said above, if it could play 5.1 FLAC, that might be a way to rig it to still do DVD-A.

For what it's worth, I got the following response to an e-mail I wrote to Acura Client Relations:

"We genuinely appreciate your many years of Acura loyalty along with the
time you took to share your feedback with us. Our client's satisfaction is
of utmost importance to us and it is our pleasure to note your valuable
input regarding DVD-Audio availability. Although details pertaining to the
possible inclusion of DVD-Audio in future Acura vehicles are unavailable,
your perspective assists us in fully understanding our client's needs and
desires.

We welcome you to contact us in the event you have further comments or
questions. You are also able to reach us at #800-382-2238, option #6 or on
Twitter @AcuraClientCare.

Kind regards,

Acura Client Relations"

------Original Message------

"To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>

Subject: DVD-Audio support

Hi,

I am a longtime Acura TL owner. I bought the 2004 TL and loved that car.
One of
my favorite features was the DVD-Audio disc surround sound feature. It
sparked
me to acquire thousands of dollars of DVD-Audio discs that sounded great in
the
TL. It was also a great car in many other respects.

When I had enough miles on the 04, I sold it and got a 2009 TL. Not
everyone
liked the look but I did. And, I still enjoyed the DVD-Audio capability, I
think it sounds even better in that car with the ELS system.

Now my 2009 TL is getting to a mileage where I am considering a new car.
I'd
like to go with the new 2015 TLX but it does not support DVD-Audio discs,
only
DTS CDs, which are decidedly inferior and also there are much fewer of
desirable music on that format.

As a matter of fact, there has been an explosion of new DVD-A releases in
the
last couple of years. There is an ongoing series of sought-after DVD-As
being
issued for numerous albums from groups like XTC, Yes, King Crimson, and
others.
A very recent release is Songs From The Big Chair by Tears For Fears.

I would like to implore you to add DVD-A support in the 2016 model year to
the
TLX, as well as to the MDX and RDX. I am on a forum of surround sound fans
and
there would be hundreds of potentially interested Acura customers in that
group.

As long as you are including a disc player with support for a surround
format,
it seems like it would be well worth supporting DVD-a format in the ELS
sound
system. It's clear that Mr. Sheiner is a fan, and it is the best way to
hear
quality surround sound in a car.

And since Acura is responsible for my investment in DVD-A discs, I would
you to keep supporting the format so I can keep enjoying them. I know
Hyundai
supports them, but I would really rather not have to look at a Hyundai.

I'd be glad to talk to someone in person if you would like more
information.

Thanks for reading this."

Like I said, for what it's worth. Perhaps if a couple dozen of us contact them they would rethink it in a future version?

And, no offense to Hyundai owners, I know they are good vehicles! I just wanted to let them know I was looking at options.

I have had a 2008 TL since it was new. The car itself is okay. Its kind of a pain to park because the turning radius is wide.
BUT I love the DVDA surround. Love it so much that I keep the the car because of the audio player.

Update to the new Acura TLX/SH-AWD/Tech/ELS:
Plays ALL DTS CD's, in 5.1 surround
Does NOT play DTS tracks from DVD Audio discs
Does NOT play DVD video discs
Plays 'faux" surround on CD's, Ipods, HDD, & Bluetooth audio
490 watts of awesome car stereo; 10 amplified speakers
Dave Grusin's "West Side Story", is great; Eagles "Hell Freezes Over", ditto; McCartney's "Band on the Run", is pretty cool, too.
It sucks that Acura & Elliot Scheiner dissed DVD/A's; nothin' like them in the car.
BTW: The new TLX/Tech, does NOT utilize Sirius/XM, Traffic & Weather apps;only music, talk shows, etc.; buyer beware, if you sign up

Update to the new Acura TLX/SH-AWD/Tech/ELS:
Plays ALL DTS CD's, in 5.1 surround
Does NOT play DTS tracks from DVD Audio discs
Does NOT play DVD video discs
Plays 'faux" surround on CD's, Ipods, HDD, & Bluetooth audio
490 watts of awesome car stereo; 10 amplified speakers
Dave Grusin's "West Side Story", is great; Eagles "Hell Freezes Over", ditto; McCartney's "Band on the Run", is pretty cool, too.
It sucks that Acura & Elliot Scheiner dissed DVD/A's; nothin' like them in the car.
BTW: The new TLX/Tech, does NOT utilize Sirius/XM, Traffic & Weather apps;only music, talk shows, etc.; buyer beware, if you sign up

Thanks for the test results!

At least you can play a DTS CD. Time to start making your own from DVD-A's, SACDs, Quads, BluRays, and downloads. At least if you make your own, you won't have to worry about taking the real discs in the car with you. It's just a lot of work.

I wonder if this was a decision based on ELS requesting the removal of DVD-A, or if the hardware manufacturer (Panasonic) just told them they would no longer make the head unit DVD capable. It may have come down to a money issue. (Ya think?) :mad:@:

Hey elroy! You inspired me to send this email to them:

Greetings!

I am a long time Acura owner, and since 1999 have owned the following Acura's, all purchased new.

1999 Acura TL (Leased)
2002 Acura TL Type S
2004 Acura TL
2005 Acura RL
2008 Acura RDX
2011 Acura TSX Wagon
2014 Acura RDX

Every one of my Acura's has had the Tech Package/NAVI, and I have convinced many acquaintances to consider Acura as a vehicle choice by giving them rides and demonstrating the ELS Surround Sound in the 2004-2014 Acura's I have owned.

It is very disheartening to hear that the newest Acura ELS systems no longer support DVD-Audio Discs. While it is true that the major labels rarely release DVD-A discs anymore, there are many independent labels that do, and there are many of us who have collections of DVD-Audio discs that we've purchased from their inception in 2000 to those recently released in 2014.

For the additional cost of adding the Tech Package to an Acura, it seems that the ELS system should maintain features that it has had going back to 2004. The additional cost of the electronics could surely be absorbed in the additional cost the car owner pays for the Technology Package.

It seems lately that the Honda vehicles that parallel the Acura product line are become more advanced and higher tech to the point that my Acura salesman has told me he has problems convincing prospective customers that the Acura is indeed a better value than the similar Honda model. Over the past 10 years, the DVD-A capability in the Acura has separated Acura from Honda and has kept me coming back to Acura. With this feature now gone, it leaves the decision of my next purchase up in the air.

I would sincerely hope that you consider returning the DVD-A capability to the Acura line. It's what really sets the ELS system apart from the rest.

Thanks for your time

I will repost here if I get a response.

I just happened to be done at the local Acura place today as they are moving to a new location and having a sale and brought some disk's with me to test on Acura TLX and see CPR has already done the tests.
What shocked me is even putting in a Dvd Audio disk that has a DTS layer the deck just spits it out and doesn't like it.
Shows how stupid this is the salesman I saw said 'Oh this explains why when I put the Demo disk thats kicking around the office doesn't work'. Just STUPID thats all I can say.
It's weird that the ILX and RDX which were introduced as new models in 2013 still have Dvd Audio as of 2015 lineup and all others are a NO GO for Dvd Audio.
Guess they must have still signed a contract for those models and severed things after.

Who knows if we will have any effect, but I know for sure if we don't say anything we will definitely have no impact!

A few more e-mails couldn't hurt!

Jon, you should be in an Acura commercial with all those models you've owned!

I happen to like expensive DVD-A players! :)

(Actually, I get a car allowance from work because I use my car for work, so that makes it easier to obtain and update rides)

I received a response, probably canned, that basically said nothing. Oh well.

Dear Jon Urban,

We truly appreciate your strong Acura owner loyalty along with the
opportunity of responding to your valuable feedback. Please accept our
apologies for the dissatisfaction this has caused. Our client’s
satisfaction is of utmost importance to us and your comments assist us in
fully understanding consumer perspective.

Kind regards,
Acura Client Relations

Hmmm.... I guess it just doesn't matter.

Dear Bob Romano,

We sincerely appreciate your strong Acura owner loyalty along with the
opportunity of responding to your valuable feedback. Please accept our
apologies for the dissatisfaction this has caused. Our client’s
satisfaction is of utmost importance to us and your comments assist us in
fully understanding consumer perspective.

Kind regards,
Acura Client Relations

I'm halfway through the lease on my 2013 TL and I'm not sure what to do either? The ELS still blows me away and anyone who gets into my car comments on the sound quality when I use a DVD-A.
I'll probably buy the car and keep it until a suitable alternative comes out or until Acura gets their $hit straight. I could understand if they removed the optical drive completely, but just taking out DVD-A playback makes no sense.

Back