Some Thoughts on Pink Floyd Quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova74

Hello
I have the 2 um... "unofficial" DVD-A's.
I love the DSoTM disc. The other night I was bored and wound up listening to DSoTM DVD-A, and the WYWH DVD-A.
The WYWH disc is a little dissapointing. The channel separation is nowhere near as impressive as the DSoTM disc. I remembered that it was sourced from a SQ vinyl. So I dug out an old DTS copy of WYWH that was sourced from the Q8 that I acquired years ago. The fidelity isn't as good as the DVD-A version but the separation is amazing! I had forgotten how good it is.
After that I figured I was on a roll. I popped in my DTS copy of AHM (one of my favorite Floyd albums) and was once more very impresssed. It too was sourced from the Q8.
I wish somebody would transfer the Q8 versions of these 2 albums to DVD-A. I know the fidelity of the Q8 format is limited, but I would think a proper transfer to DVD-A would sound better than the DTS rips.
Does anyone know of any future plans to do this? If not, is there someone that I could get ahold of that has these to make me DVD-A copies?
Thanks,
Ryan

I'm told using this board to try and track down, um, unofficial rips of quad albums is frowned upon. I've not seen any DVDA transfer from the Q8 in circulation in the usual places(and i've looked fairly thoroughly); only DTS transfers, which are good enough for my battered ears. The DSoTM was apparently sourced from the / a quad master tape which has to be a vanishingly rare and unlikely to be repeated event (though it would be nice if it happened more often, even nicer if there were more offical releases on modern Hi Res formats of old quad mixes). There will be few, if any, home made quad transfers as good as that to be found.

The way I understand it, it's only forbidden to discuss where to obtain the bootleg material (although there is a private message function on this board). Discussing the titles or availablilty of the titles seems ok to me.
And yes, I know the DSoTM DVD-A was sourced directly from the masters, so I wouldn't expect titles sourced from elsewhere to sound as stunning.
Ryan

Back