Someone paid a lot for a fake - Pink Floyd LP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
how do you go about faking an LP though?
For the right price I'm sure they can get them pressed, just like any other boot.

But I don't get how anyone thinks they can play the quad mix in real quad. It doesn't state the 4 channel mix is encoded in any way. I suppose you could take the front mix and combine it with the rear mix and transfer it to a 4 track tape or DVD, but why?

The question is if it’s an old school bootleg, from the 70s or 80s, or it’s something newer.

For whatever it’s worth, it was allegedly sold by a children’s charity in the UK, with all the net profits allegedly going to the charity, according to the listing.
I doubt if that charity is even legit, no real charity would stoop to selling bootleg LP's. The high selling price is another indication of fraud. Try to sell something that's "limited edition" saying that the profits are going to charity, scammers have no shame!

I doubt if that charity is even legit, no real charity would stoop to selling bootleg LP's. The high selling price is another indication of fraud. Try to sell something that's "limited edition" saying that the profits are going to charity, scammers have no shame!

I buy used DVDs and CDs from Goodwill on eBay for not that much and it’s a real product.

Then the next question would be, how many of these are out there? The fact that it’s a numbered copy, I didn’t see bootleg’s with that from the 70s, or if so, wasn’t common as I recall. I still have a few boots from the 70s.

It looks like an Italian manufactured Bootleg. Barnado's is a legit Children's Charity in the UK, the registered address is valid and the post code where the LP is being shipped from is a warehouse (from Bing/Google Maps). One of the buildings on the industrial site is a Datashredding company, where you might well send bootlegs to be disposed of, or it may be just down to someone selling for the charity who doesn't know what a bootleg is.

It looks like an Italian manufactured Bootleg. Barnado's is a legit Children's Charity in the UK, the registered address is valid and the post code where the LP is being shipped from is a warehouse (from Bing/Google Maps). One of the buildings on the industrial site is a Datashredding company, where you might well send bootlegs to be disposed of, or it may be just down to someone selling for the charity who doesn't know what a bootleg is.

I know nothing about Pink Floyd but was intrigued by the mystery this thing seems to have engendered here. I guessed from the logo and the record number (GDR006) that the record label must be called Great Dane Records. It is, and as Duncan says they are based in Italy. A little research indicates that they have a couple of websites-

GDR.JPG

and a Discogs listing. They seem to be fairly open about what they do but I've no idea whether this product is kosher or not. I can't imagine how a charity would know either. They have put it up for auction in all good faith I would imagine.
I can confirm Duncan's statement about Barnardo's - they are one of the oldest and best known charities in the UK starting work in 1870.

How do these guys get away with this stuff. So much fake surround on eBay, esp Beatles stuff. Makes me crazy to see stuff like Let It Be DTS CDs being sold right after the real release comes out, but this one really takes the cake. 'Still Sealed!" LOL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1749909877...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It seems the 'bidding has ended' according to ebay .... so some lucky sucker bit! And those poor orphans will still be fed gruel ... and such .... and for some those illegitimate products which seem to have Long LEGS will continue giving future clueless suckers ... THE BOOT!

Speaking of Italian🇮🇹bootlegs, Dunc, for your 'discriminating' perusal:

See the source image
THE BIG BOOT

Last edited:
They seem to be fairly open about what they do but I've no idea whether this product is kosher or not. I can't imagine how a charity would know either.

I'm going from memory here so may be making a fool of myself again, but at one time Italian copyright laws were fairly lax and allowed the production and sale of discs that wouldn't be permitted elsewhere. I've got several CDs that even have SIAE stamps on them (though, come to think of it, I have no way of knowing if they were forged). Allegedly, the proper royalties were even deposited into escrow accounts on behalf of the artists, but the artists never collected because they didn't want to appear to sanction the products.

One of the major international trade treaties put an end to it. All I can think of at the moment is "NAFTA" but I know that's not right.

Sad to see a criminal organised group using charities to sell their illegal products. It's a new low. The ebay seller is just as ignorant. EBay is supposed to block crap like this.

Back